PDA

View Full Version : No snack time in first grade?

liz
09-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I was kind of surprised to learn that DS1 will not have a snack during 1st grade this year. The teacher sent home a notice that she didn't have enough time for snacks because of the "academic demands" (her words) and that she "can't fit it in and get to all the standards I need to cover". Does this sound common to you? Our school has 3 first grade classes. I was talking to another mom and she said her son has a snack time (this is the same school).

Dr C
09-18-2010, 08:36 AM
IMHO, that is crazy. Kids need fuel to learn. Heck, *I* cannot get through my morning without a snack--going from 6 AM till noon is too long for me and I am fully grown. I think she will be regretting the no snack policy because her kids will not be well focused.

JBaxter
09-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Nathan is my 3rd child to hit 1st grade and none have ever had snack time. Actually Nathan didnt in full day k last year either.

Nathan gets up at 7am dresses and has breakfast by 7:20
catches the bus at 7:42
Lunch at 11: 30
home at 3:22

He has a snack when he gets home. Daytime snacks arent necessary at this age IMO

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2010, 08:43 AM
They have snack time at ds1's school. The kids munch away during the lesson. Hardly an issue!

eta- I really disagree about snacks not being necessary I think they are. Also, I think that some kids only get fed at school so offering an extra chance to eat is a big deal for those kids. Maybe other people don't go to schools where there are kids in that situation but I know it is one reason our school does a snack. It's always a healthy one too (usually fruit or cheese- options available for kids who need them). I know I got hungry at school before lunch even with a good breakfast. Finally, sme kids in our school don't have lunch till 12:30. I know I'd get hungry if I had b'fast at 7 and didn't get to eat till 12:30.

Beth

JBaxter
09-18-2010, 08:44 AM
IMHO, that is crazy. Kids need fuel to learn. Heck, *I* cannot get through my morning without a snack--going from 6 AM till noon is too long for me and I am fully grown. I think she will be regretting the no snack policy because her kids will not be well focused.

all the lunches are served before noon at our school with the K class eating at 11:10 There is an optional breakfast program served at 8:05 if you miss eating at home. 5-7 yr olds baring medical conditions can go 4 hrs between meals.

g-mama
09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Every grade in our elementary school makes time for a snack. Both our 1st grade and 4th grade teachers said that the kids eat their snack during worktime at their desk so to make it a finger food (no utensils). My kids still come home ravenous at 4pm.

kerridean
09-18-2010, 08:47 AM
No snack and I am thrilled. I think kids are given too many snacks these days. Lunch is served at 11 and she is home by 3. She is fine.

ett
09-18-2010, 08:50 AM
DS2 is in second grade and is still having a snack. Last year in first grade the teacher read chapter books during snack time. I am actually surprised they are still having snack. I don't ever recall having snack when I was in elementary school.

lmwbasye
09-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I've never heard of 1st grade having snack. Not that I agree with it, but it's more normal than you might think.

o_mom
09-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Ours depends on what time they have lunch, regardless of grade. We have lunch starting as early as 10:15am and as late as 12:45pm. The earliest ones and latest ones are more likely to have snack because it might be 5-6 hours without it. The ones that have it right in the middle of the day probably don't need snack.

momof2girls
09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
My DD had snack time in first grade as did other kids we know from other schools. Do they at least have lunch at a decent time? Even in second grade, DD has snack.

infomama
09-18-2010, 09:16 AM
No snack in our first grade. I wouldn't mind it in the least if they offered a snack.

belovedgandp
09-18-2010, 09:37 AM
When I first heard they did snack in 1st grade I was kind of surprised. We had 1/2 day K and did not do snack. Eating at home at 11:30 to be at school at 12:15 and not home until almost 4:00 was an OK timeline for me, but DS was starving when he came home.

The lunch times have to stagger so much that it makes sense to get the kids through the day. They start at 8:20, eat lunch at 11:00, and don't dismiss until 3:40. Lunch time is 20 minutes so while DS is better at eating in that time I know it is not enough.

Our guidelines are "non-messy, nutritious snack that can be consumed in 5 minutes or less" - there are days this is trickier than others. I'm just glad she's stuck with the nutritious part since that went downhill fast in pre-school.

kristenk
09-18-2010, 09:52 AM
No snack in 1st grade for us. Actually, DD didn't have a snack in K, either. I think that they're adding a snack for K this year, though, b/c they changed the dismissal time for K. Last year (no snack year) for K, the tardy bell rang at 7:45, K lunch started at 10:25 and dismissal was at 2pm. This year, tardy bell and lunch are the same, but K gets out at 2:45 along with everyone else.

I've always been amazed when I hear people talking about sending snacks in for their kids b/c that's not how it works around here!

I do think it's odd that one class out of 3 doesn't do snack. I think that should be consistent across the grade.

okinawama
09-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Prior to being a SAHM I was an elementary school teacher and have never seen snack offered past kindergarten (and I've taught in multiple districts).

wendmatt
09-18-2010, 10:17 AM
DD did not have snack in 1st grade which was tough because she got the school bus at 7, so breakfast at 6.30. It was a long time to go between breakfast and lunch (11.30), but she ate all her lunch! Now in 2nd grade she does have snack and lunch at 11.45.

amldaley
09-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I hadn't even thought of this. I assumed schools were as they have been for ages with no snack past kindergarten. I also agree that, if it is a healthy snack, and depending on schedule, it is a good idea.

But at DD's daycare, which is on a federal food program, snack is often Oreos, Pop Tarts, or pudding cups. Hardly a good idea. I hate the days when she comes home already having had more sugar than an adult should have in an entire day and trying to convince her that sweets are only for dessert.

That said, I think the approach here should be consistency. Why should the other 1st graders get snacks and your kids class doesn't? Other have given great suggestions for snacks that can be eaten while working. I would aim towards grade level consistency if you choose to argue it.

egoldber
09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Every grade in our elementary school makes time for a snack. Both our 1st grade and 4th grade teachers said that the kids eat their snack during worktime at their desk so to make it a finger food (no utensils). My kids still come home ravenous at 4pm.

I'm so surprised! We are in the same district but neither of the schools my DD has been in have snack after K.

I think it can be a problem depending on the timing. I know that typically K has lunch early, but in our school first graders didn't have lunch until almost 12, which can be a long time for a kid, especially if they are also in before care.

My older DD eats breakfast early (6:30/7) and then does not eat lunch until almost 12. *I* have a hard time going that long without a snack. So I encourage her to eat breakfast at school also (8:45-9). It's only $1.50 and thankfully she doesn't like the more poor choices they provide (cinnamon roll, muffins) and generally eats a bagel with cream cheese, Cheerios and milk, yogurt, etc.

crl
09-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Snack is at morning recess. Not ideal from my point of view.

Catherine

noodle
09-18-2010, 11:08 AM
We have looked at a lot of schools (preschool through middle) in the last ten years.
Those with more progressive educational philosophies have offered snack time, either with snacks provided or with snacks brought from home. At all of these, snack was optional, and it is almost always on the child's schedule rather than a set snack time.
(One school didn't even have set recess times, but left it up to each teacher to decide when the kids needed "brain breaks" when s/he sensed the kids (or a subset of the kids) needed a change of pace--usually some physical activity.)
Our current elementary allows snacks at any time. There are criteria (healthy, nut-free, etc.) that must be met, and students are responsible for cleaning up after themselves. It was ideal for my son (5th grade last year), who can't eat a lot in a sitting, but needs to eat frequently to keep his blood sugar from plummeting. The pto supplies the teachers with snacks for kids who don't/can't bring a snack from home but who need them. Some kids never snack. Some kids snack every day, and some (most) do so sporadically.

Canna
09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Every grade at DD's elementary school (K-6) gets a snack time. The school day is 8:30-3:30 and some classes have lunch at 11 am or (in the case of K) 1:30 pm.

bubbaray
09-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Snack in grade 1 here and AFAIK, there is snack time throughout the grades (K-7) in our school. IIRC, the kids eat snack during instructional time. They definitely eat lunch during instructional (story) time.

IMO, most kids do better with smaller, more frequently HEALTHY meals/snacks so that they are fueled throughout the day. We are required to send a healthy snack -- the teachers are quick to send home a note if you send a snack that is too sugary, etc.. They specifically suggest fruit (cut up apple, orange, etc). We also have a fruit & vegetable program, which has local farmers send in seasonal produce. I believe that program is used as a teaching tool -- teach the kids the French words for farm items (tools & crops) and also to teach environmental stewardship (keep the farmlands productive).

I'm puzzled as to why parents would be opposed to snacks? As long as its healthy, what's the problem with snacks??

crl
09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Just to clarify, I'm not opposed to snack. I'm opposed to it cutting into recess time at our school.

Catherine

JElaineB
09-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Here school is 8:25-2:55 and there is snack time in kindergarten in the morning, but none in first grade or higher. The do eat lunch pretty early in 1st and 2nd grade (11:10 am) and DS does get a snack at his after school program a little after 3 pm. They do have 3 recesses (15 min each) per day in K-2. I'm happy with this arrangement, I don't think DS needs 2 snacks/day at this point.

amyd
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
K-5 have morning snack brought from home.

Pennylane
09-18-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't think 1st graders need to have a snack at school. My 3rd grader still has snack time and I think it is ridiculous!

Ann

WolfpackMom
09-18-2010, 11:42 AM
I can see where a snack could be both helpful and/or a hindrance. Its a distraction that takes away from learning time, even if instruction continues while some choose to snack and others dont Im sure those who are not snacking would be distracted by those who are (eating, making noise, throwing things out etc). At the same time, if a kid is hungry that would also distract them from learning.
That being said, I have worked in schools for some time (dont now, but did) and I also have not heard of having snack past K.

MelissaTC
09-18-2010, 12:15 PM
My DS has snack in third grade. In fact, the whole school pre-K through 8 has snack. They call it a working snack so there are specific items that are not allowed like yogurt. He has things like cheese and crackers, goldfish, grapes, etc.. and water. He starts at 8 and doesn't have lunch until 12:20 so he is usually hungry.

aa2mama
09-18-2010, 12:18 PM
My first grader has snack every day except for Monday at 10:15. Once they finish snack, they spend the rest of that period reading to themselves. Lunch is at 11:25.

I'm not sure what grade they stop having snack, but I know our 3rd grade neighbor doesn't have snack anymore.

niccig
09-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Snack in grade 1 here and AFAIK, there is snack time throughout the grades (K-7) in our school.

DS school is the same. We have snack and recess time together - this is how it was when I went to school. We had 15 mins of recess and you could eat or not depending on what you wanted to do.

If there is no snakc, do the kids still get recess?

caleymama
09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Every grade DD1 has had so far has had snack.
In K it was in the afternoon (early lunch - 10:45)
In 1st it was in the afternoon
In 2nd it was in the morning (later lunch)
In 3rd it is in the morning (even later lunch)

DD2 is in first and it's been the same for her. I'm not sure what happens in 4th and 5th grade, but I'm willing to bet they do have snack.

justlearning
09-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Here's my son's experience:

Half-day K: one snack, during which time the teacher read a book

1st and 2nd grades: both a morning and afternoon snack (that I pack), during which time they chat with friends

Their school day is from 8:00 to 3:15, but they get most Fri. afternoons off.

They don't have a lot of time to eat lunch, so I like that DS gets more time to eat more food by having the two snacks as well.

They have three recesses (in addition to PE twice a week): one in the morning, one before lunch, and one in the afternoon.

By the way, no breakfast is served at the school, only a hot lunch if you want to buy that.

KrisM
09-18-2010, 02:01 PM
DS has a snack in 1st and I'm glad.

Breakfast 8:00
leave 8:30
school 8:50
snack 10:15
lunch 12:55
end of school 3:50
home 4:15

Going from 8-12:55 is a LONG time with no food. I eat lunch earlier or I would be really hungry by 12:55. He doesn't have a snack after school, as dinner is around 5-5:15.

But, the cafeteria only holds 100 or so kids, so there are 6 lunch times over the day. First lunch is 11:15, I think. Those kids have snack in the afternoon.

His snack is sent by me and is usually a banana, cheese and crackers, pretzels and cheese, or something similar.

KrisM
09-18-2010, 02:02 PM
He has a snack when he gets home. Daytime snacks arent necessary at this age IMO

Curious - if you think a daytime snack is not necessary, why do you serve him one?

Katigre
09-18-2010, 02:14 PM
We had "Fruit Break" every day in elementary school in the mid-morning. There were requirements for what the food item could be - not junk food - but I think that is perfectly reasonable.

I would be concerned about what else the teacher doesn't have time for due to 'academic demands'...is she reading aloud to the class each day? Why can't she spend the 20 minute reading time as snack time at their desks while the chidlren eat and listen?

hellokitty
09-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Yup, no snack time from K+. I was shocked, b/c I assumed that in K, they had snack. Luckily, it was only half day K (but full day K didn't get snacks either) that my son attended. However, now he is in first and I CANNOT get him to eat lunch. Most days he comes home having ate ONE bite of his food. I am so frustrated, I KNEW that this would happen, and really wish they got a snack. It seems that my son compensates by eating a hearty bkfst and big dinner, so at least he tries to make up for it in other ways, but when you have a child who is already skin and bones and a crummy eater when socializing with others (he gets so distracted when eating with ppl other than our immediate family, he will not eat at all), snack time would be nice.

lablover
09-18-2010, 03:43 PM
In the past 1st graders have had snack but this year they decided not to because lunch is at 10:40. DS is fine - he eats a snack when he gets home (around 2:45).

mommytotwo
09-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Our first grade has snack time. The teacher usually reads a book during that time. When I was in school, we took our snack out during recess.

JamiMac
09-18-2010, 04:42 PM
My third grader and kindergartener both have snack time. Kinder eats at 10:30 and 3rd eats at 1:30. They always have a small snack after school too. I agree with smaller more frequent meals. It's always worked for me too.

Cam&Clay
09-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I taught every grade level from 1st through 5th and always allowed snack in my classroom, especially if we had a late lunch. I called it a working snack. It was brought from home and completely optional. I fully believe that many of the kids were starving by lunch time and couldn't concentrate for that last hour. I kept something simple like goldfish in my desk for any kid who felt hungry during the day.

Work wasn't interrupted at all. Fetch your snack and keep working. Everyone was happier. I see no harm in it at all. It was our whole school's philosophy. We asked for healthy snacks.

That school, which is still DS1's school, changed their minds about snack in 5th and 6th grade last year. I thought DS1 was going to die. He had to go from breakfast at 7:00 until lunch at 12:30. It was very hard on him. I usually gave him a granola bar to eat on his way to school at 8:30 just to help him fill up. Of course, he is the same kid who ate 3 peanut butter sandwiches after school one day last week. What I would do for his metabolism...

JBaxter
09-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Curious - if you think a daytime snack is not necessary, why do you serve him one?

7:20 to 11:20 is not long enough for him to need a snack.
11:20 to 3:20 when we are off the bus and in the house he still isnt hungry
4:15 ish he is starting to get hungry and will give some fruit or cheese stick & crackers I usually have dinner at 6 - 6:15.

With the child hood obesity in this country I think alot of children need to limit snacking. Alot of what is brought would be carbs. Non messy snacks ( assuming no nuts) are things like crackers / cookies. Fruit is juicey and sticky drinks would get spilled etc.

justlearning
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
With the child hood obesity in this country I think alot of children need to limit snacking. Alot of what is brought would be carbs. Non messy snacks ( assuming no nuts) are things like crackers / cookies. Fruit is juicey and sticky drinks would get spilled etc.

I agree in general with this, but the snacks I pack DS are usually fruit or veggies (e.g., banana, raisins, carrots, red pepper strips, etc.) Sometimes I'll also give yogurt or a cheese stick--all of which aren't messy to eat.

KrisM
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
7:20 to 11:20 is not long enough for him to need a snack.
11:20 to 3:20 when we are off the bus and in the house he still isnt hungry
4:15 ish he is starting to get hungry and will give some fruit or cheese stick & crackers I usually have dinner at 6 - 6:15.

So you'd agree that if he is hungry and it's been a while since a meal, a daytime snack is fine then? DS goes for 5 hours (more if he's up early) between breakfast and lunch, so he gets a snack in between. You have only 4 hours, which is 20% shorter and a big difference. Likewise, in the PM, DS only has 4 hours from lunch to dinner and doesn't need or ask for a snack.

I do send carbs at times, but usually he gets a banana, which is pretty non-juicy for fruit :). Or, I'll send yogurt or applesauce or a cheese stick. Not much different than what you give as a snack, other than time of day.

They aren't allowed any drinks other than water with snack, so juice is a non-issue for us. He's also allowed a water bottle at his desk, so he can drink during the day as he needs to.

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2010, 07:06 PM
But, don't they advocate small meals/ snacks vs 3 full meals nowadays? You eat the same amount or maybe even fewer calories b/c you aren't ravenous at meal time. That is the advice I have read so many times for health. I see value in 5 small meals vs 3 big meals. That's how my kids would naturally eat as well as me.

Beth

bubbaray
09-18-2010, 08:01 PM
But, don't they advocate small meals/ snacks vs 3 full meals nowadays? You eat the same amount or maybe even fewer calories b/c you aren't ravenous at meal time. That is the advice I have read so many times for health. I see value in 5 small meals vs 3 big meals. That's how my kids would naturally eat as well as me.

Beth

:yeahthat:

This is what we've been told. Our snacks are non-messy. My kids are definitely not obese, if anything a little too skinny.

And, like I said, our entire school has fruit/veggie breaks as part of the teaching curriculum (to teach what crops are grown locally, etc).

bubbaray
09-18-2010, 08:02 PM
With the child hood obesity in this country I think alot of children need to limit snacking.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I think the issue is not the snack break, per se, its the type of snacks permitted. I'm pretty sure that childhood obesity is not being driven by fruits, vegetables and whole grain snacks. It is being driven by high-sugar snacks like Oreos, Poptarts, excessive juice and pop/soda.

g-mama
09-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Our school specifically states that the snacks must be healthy, yet my kids come home telling me of the unhealthy things their classmates are "so lucky" to have. It shocks me that kids will bring in cookies, Doritos, PopTarts... :rolleyes:

mytwosons
09-18-2010, 08:18 PM
When I was in 2nd grade, it became clear I was having blood sugar issues and the doctor instructed me to have a piece of fruit mid-morning. The teachers thought this was a great idea and my school instituted "fruit break". All through elementary we were allowed to have a piece of fruit and/or white milk.

I don't know when snack ends in our elementary, but DS1 is in 2nd and still has snack each afternoon. Lunch is at 11:00 and they have snack around 3. I believe they also offer snack because the kids don't have enough time at lunch.

spanannie
09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
My DS has snack in third grade. In fact, the whole school pre-K through 8 has snack. They call it a working snack so there are specific items that are not allowed like yogurt. He has things like cheese and crackers, goldfish, grapes, etc.. and water. He starts at 8 and doesn't have lunch until 12:20 so he is usually hungry.

Our school has the same deal. Everyone has snack time; it is also a "working snack." Lunches don't start until close to noon and the day lasts from 7:45-3:15.