PDA

View Full Version : Question for MSPI moms about allergy testing

goldenpig
09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Has anyone had a DC who had negative allergy testing for milk and soy but still had milk-soy protein intolerance?

I think DS's silent reflux is due to dairy intolerance because his diaper/face rash and reflux got better after I stopped dairy (although he switched from Zantac to Prilosec at the same time so it's hard to tell) but I feel like it got worse when I did a dairy challenge so I quit dairy again. Ped is somewhat skeptical--he had blood tests done (RAST) that are all negative. Now we are waiting to see an allergist and maybe do some skin testing, although it may be negative too. I'm OK stopping dairy, but as an Asian eliminating soy is really hard for me, so I don't want to do it if I don't have to. DS doesn't have a lot of the other symptoms like vomiting or mucousy or bloody stools to convince me that it's MSPI for sure, so it's confusing.

ThreeofUs
09-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I kept DS1 off cow's milk and soy products after he seemed to be sensitive. He now tests as if he had no allergy, but every time he tastes one of these products he *knows* what they are made of and spits it out immediately.

He says they burn his mouth, as if they are really spicy.

Intolerances don't show up, kwim?

GL!

Indianamom2
09-18-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm not certain as we haven't done the testing yet (but likely will with Ds#2), but it would certainly make sense to me that he could test negative to a true allergic response and yet still have a sensitivity.

An allergy would be an immune system response while a sensitivity to milk seems to be a more gastro-intestinal response.

And for what it's worth, I have gotten the distinct impression that many pediatricians and doctors have never even heard of the idea of a dairy intolerance in babies. Some have looked at me like I had two heads! I think it may be a relatively new school of thought.