PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for inexpensive and quick glasses?

jess_g
09-19-2010, 07:59 AM
My ds lost his glasses, any advice on where to go for a replacement pair (that he will likely lose again)? THe last pair were from Lens Crafters and were expensive. I am thinking of going to Walmart, but wonder how the glasses will compare to the ones at Lens Crafters. We do not belong to Costco, but I know thats another option. Any idea on how they will take at Costco or Walmart? That would help too.

Thanks, J.

rkold
09-19-2010, 08:02 AM
..My DH got his from on-line and it was super fast and I want to say about $30 to $40. I'll ask him which website he used. Despite not trying them on in person first, I think they look really nice on him! :D

Momof3Labs
09-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Costco took either 1 or 2 weeks for my simple reading glasses.

egoldber
09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
What do you consider expensive? We usually go to Lenscrafters for my older DD and its about $100 for frames and lenses for her, depending on the frames she picks out.

MMEand1
09-19-2010, 08:37 AM
We got my DS's glasses as EyeMasters. It took an hour and we paid about $100 for 2 pair. We have been very happy with them.

poohbear
09-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Depends on your prescription/lens needs. I have a pretty hefty prescription and need high index lenses with anti-glare. At costco the lenses cost $100, whereas anywhere else they are upwards of $300+ (even with my insurance), so for that, it is worth it to join costco to get my glasses. Same thing if you need any other sort of specialized lenses. If you just need regular glasses with regular lenses, like PP said I would recommend eyemasters usually you can get 2 complete pairs for $100.

jess_g
09-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks his glasses at lens feathers were $200 (and that was with a discount). I can't see buying another pair at that cost if he is going to just lose them again. J

rkold
09-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Ok my husband got his glasses from here:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/index.html

He ended up paying $50 for his pair when he upgraded to some fancier lenses I think. It took about a week to receive them.

I think they look quite good on him.

Tanya
09-19-2010, 12:01 PM
We've gotten inexpensive ones from zenni optical online before. That would work for my daughter, but it gets much pricier for dh or me because of our stronger prescription (have to pay more more the thinner lenses, etc.). However, it takes a couple weeks.

Walmart has pretty good prices especially for kids' glasses and they have a nice guarantee on them as well. Once again, it may take 1-2 weeks to get them in.

Lenscrafters is expensive even with coupons of AAA discount, but you can have them right away.

malphy
09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Ok my husband got his glasses from here:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/index.html

He ended up paying $50 for his pair when he upgraded to some fancier lenses I think. It took about a week to receive them.

I think they look quite good on him.

I use them too and have been very happy.

kijip
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
There is a reason T has three pairs of glasses. ;)

We got them all from some pretty cheap place in the Fred Meyer's here. I want to say it was about $110 for 2 pairs?

We did Zenni Optical for my husband and the fit was never comfortable so I worry about going that route with kids and then having his glasses become something he hates wearing.

egoldber
09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
the fit was never comfortable

This is what I always wonder about ordering glasses on-line. Mine and DD's glasses always seem to need a ton of adjustment when they arrive. And I know that mine and hers need adjustment now and then because they get loose. She is also hard on them and they get bent now and then. Lenscrafters has always been great about adjusting them and fixing them whenever. They also replaced the frames once when she mangled them so badly that they were not repairable.

Tanya
09-19-2010, 10:21 PM
You typically do not have to buy glasses from a specific place in order to get them adjusted there. I've seen people stop in Walmart many times to have their glasses adjusted or tightened or whatever and they openly admitted that they did not buy them there. One lady's lens popped out in the parking lot on her way in and they fixed it for her.
We stopped at a different walmart than we bought from and didn't even say anything about her glasses coming from walmart and they tightened them all up for her (and cleaned them).

My dad bought glasses from zenni optical online and he had trouble with the nosepads coming off. His eye doctor office fixed them and even replaced a missing nosepad.

I do agree that it is hard to buy frames online since you can't try them on. You can only go by measurements and somewhat experience on what shapes look good on you. I did buy my daughter a backup pair online though. She wanted pink and I didn't like any of the pink frames she'd tried on in the store, so I went ahead and got her a hot pink pair online since they were just backups anyway. They were fine and she wore them once in awhile for fun.

ett
09-19-2010, 10:29 PM
This is what I always wonder about ordering glasses on-line. Mine and DD's glasses always seem to need a ton of adjustment when they arrive. And I know that mine and hers need adjustment now and then because they get loose. She is also hard on them and they get bent now and then. Lenscrafters has always been great about adjusting them and fixing them whenever. They also replaced the frames once when she mangled them so badly that they were not repairable.

:yeahthat: We got DS1's glasses at Costco and they were about $150 for 2 pairs with the $30 off 2nd pair discount. I went in so many times when DS1 first started wearing them and was always bending them out of shape. It felt so embarrassed because I was there every week with some kind of glasses issue. I think all the workers knew me. He's much better now but I can't imagine not having a place to go to get these adjustments and quick fixes.