PDA

View Full Version : What clothes should a newborn wear to sleep on a cool fall night?

momm
09-19-2010, 01:33 PM
New mom here - obviously.

I tried to make him sleep in a onesie and a full body onesie, in a onesie and a full sleeper, in a onesie and socks on his feet and arms, tried swaddling to sleep, fleece, and cotton both, but he just doesn't get snuggly and comfortable.

His hands and feet are too cold, and I was wondering if there are any types of clothes combinations I am missing out there?

What do/ did you put your newborns in to sleep?

Jenn850
09-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I always swaddle newborns to sleep.

WatchingThemGrow
09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
we use a stretchy bottom gown and a swaddling blanket (aden & anais or swaddle designs) on a newborn.

fumofu
09-19-2010, 02:13 PM
My 7-week old baby's hands and especially feet also run cold. Pediatrician said that it's due to poor blood circulation, nothing to worry about. I would use the rest of his body (head and neck) to determine his temperature.

I also swaddled my baby as well until he started to get out of it.

Green_Tea
09-19-2010, 02:20 PM
The temps of hands and feet aren't good indicators of comfort or body temp when it comes to newborns. Cold hands are pretty normal.

I always swaddled my newborns. If you're not swaddling, a fleece sleep sack (either with or without sleeves) over a regular cotton sleeper should do the trick.

momm
09-19-2010, 05:26 PM
thanks girls.. I will try the combinations tonight .. and if last night is any indicator, then I will be trying all of them

Sigh

Roni
09-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I've been using a hat, an undershirt, a sleeper (with an open bottom), and a swaddler. We have a couple "Summer" ones and also a Halo sleep sack that we got at the hospital. Some nights my dh has been swaddling her in a couple blankets instead of the swaddler.

hobie
09-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Swaddling was super necessary for DS#3...otherwise he wouldn't sleep!

crl
09-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Our dd hated being swaddled, I know most newborns love it. Anyway, we do fleece sleepers. If very cold, I put a cotton onsie underneath.

Catherine

candaceb
09-19-2010, 10:19 PM
We just spent a week at the family summer house on Cape Cod, which has neither heat nor insulation and the temps were down in the low 50s most nights. I read a bunch of stuff about how to decide what DS should wear, and the general consensus seems to be that the baby should have the same number of layers as you do, plus one. Add a hat if it's especially cold. You can get a better feel for whether they are warm enough by feeling the nape of their neck and/or their ears. On the coldest nights last week, DS was in a gown, a carter's fleece sleep sack, a swaddling blanket, plus a sleep bag and a hat.

citymama
09-20-2010, 02:23 AM
We *always* did 100% cotton for bedtime.

On the coolest nights indoors, a cotton onesie, a cotton footie pajama, 2 flannel cotton swaddle blankets and a lightweight beanie hat.

Most nights, just a sleeper and the swaddle blankets; I think we dropped the hat by one week.