PDA

View Full Version : Need everyday purse recs...

twowhat?
09-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm starting to want a purse that doubles as a diaper bag to use every day - big enough to hold 4 diapers, snacks, a couple of cups of water for them and one for me, a pack of wipes, cell phone, wallet, sunglasses. So, not huge (we pack lightly and keep "extras" like extra diapers, changes of clothing, etc in the car). But big enough to be out for a few hours. Maybe tote-bag-sized.

I just realized that I'm tired of always grabbing 1) my small purse and 2) diaper backpack, which isn't easy to carry when wearing a toddler on my back in a Beco. I want a single bag that I can sling over my shoulder that'll do it all.

I'd love one in a washable fabric (NOT leather - too heavy!) with a shoulder strap that adjusts long enough to wear across the chest (for when I'm not toddler -wearing) and short enough for slinging over just one shoulder (for when I'm toddler-wearing). And it has to look cool enough to carry every day. I'm not opposed to bright colors.

I'm NOT a purse person - I'm purse-challenged. Just looking for help to become one:)

eta: Oh, and for a bargain too, of course! I need to keep it to under $100.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-20-2010, 07:49 PM
hmm, lemme see. i would suggest a Coach tote (if u go to an outlet and stack 20 or 30% discount u can find decent bags for less than $100).....however IME Coach totes are mostly cloth or leather and thus don't seem as washable.

when u said washable fabric, my first thought was Orla Kiely. i love her bags. they are laminated canvas so if anything got on the outside, you would just wipe it off. yet they are pretty stylish IMO.i don't know if u can wash the whole bag though..i've never owned one.

here is one on piperlime. it's more than $100, but i always see Orla Kiely bargains on ebay or bonanzle.
http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=4016&vid=1&pid=760326&scid=760326002

oh, and it doesn't have a strap so it's shoulder-only. here is another one that's cross-body

http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=4016&vid=1&pid=791740&scid=791740002

IME it's hard to find bags that you can wear on the shoulder AND wear cross-body (usually, most bags are shoulder-only, or handheld + have detachable crossbody strap).

ETA: ok i found a coach tote (coated canvas, so easy cleaning on outside) that appears u can carry on shoulder plus it has a strap for wearing crossbody. last line of bags at the bottom of the link. tho it's $358 (u could prolly find in outlets for much cheaper). however the style of it it kinda screams "diaper bag" so may not be what u are looking for.
http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/-handbags_silhouettes_totes-10551-10051-5000000000000015036-en?t1Id=62&t2Id=5000000000000015036&tier=2&LOC=LN

anyway, my MIL and others have had great luck finding good quality bags for bargain prices on QVC. it's easy to search on there, u can search by type of purse, price, color etc. i got a really cute purse i liked from there a while back. several of the brands recommmended here (Tignanello, The Sak, etc ) are available there

pastrygirl
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I LOVE my JuJuBe BeHave -- it's washable faux leather! It's $150 new, but you might be able to find a used one closer to your budget in the Pink Room (JJB forum).

DrSally
09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I've been using my LL Bean Touring bag for a purse/diaper bag for a few years now. It's the same as their diaper bag (wo/the pad). It has a lot of nice pockets, side pouch for cup, etc. I'm to the point now, though, where I'd like a real purse.

ETA: It's also nice that it's cross body and washable.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
I LOVE my JuJuBe BeHave -- it's washable faux leather! It's $150 new, but you might be able to find a used one closer to your budget in the Pink Room (JJB forum).

oh yeah how i could forget the JJB Behave? i don't have one but i hear such great things about it. it does look pretty stylish, and has crossbody strap + shoulder strap (plus has organizing pockets inside like a diaper bag). hmm, i may have to get one of these! :D

twowhat?
09-20-2010, 11:57 PM
OK I LOVE the looks of the Orla Kiely bags (never heard of them before)!!! I'll have to see if I can get one on sale.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

babybell
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm starting to want a purse that doubles as a diaper bag to use every day - big enough to hold 4 diapers, snacks, a couple of cups of water for them and one for me, a pack of wipes, cell phone, wallet, sunglasses. So, not huge (we pack lightly and keep "extras" like extra diapers, changes of clothing, etc in the car). But big enough to be out for a few hours. Maybe tote-bag-sized.

I just realized that I'm tired of always grabbing 1) my small purse and 2) diaper backpack, which isn't easy to carry when wearing a toddler on my back in a Beco. I want a single bag that I can sling over my shoulder that'll do it all.

I'd love one in a washable fabric (NOT leather - too heavy!) with a shoulder strap that adjusts long enough to wear across the chest (for when I'm not toddler -wearing) and short enough for slinging over just one shoulder (for when I'm toddler-wearing). And it has to look cool enough to carry every day. I'm not opposed to bright colors.

I'm NOT a purse person - I'm purse-challenged. Just looking for help to become one:)

eta: Oh, and for a bargain too, of course! I need to keep it to under $100.

I almost wrote this same post last night! I'm looking for the exact same thing... only on a smaller budget. :loveeyes: Any more suggestions?

kwc
09-22-2010, 03:34 AM
I have this bag in twill from Etsy and use it everyday... very light, and I can wear it over my shoulder or as a sling. It has a zippered small pocket, two patch pockets and a key fob inside.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/54265484/the-rogue-in-organic-plum

I keep keys, wristlet, phone, sunglasses, earbuds, tissue pack, mini sanitizer, mini lotion, pens/ crayons in it all the time, and at other times, it can also hold a water bottle, snacks, magazine or small books, small camera, and maybe kid sweater or sweatshirt.

fivi2
09-22-2010, 07:16 PM
These may be too small for you (or not fashionable enough lol), but when I was ready to down size I went to the Overland Equipment Donner bag:
http://www.rei.com/product/786598?preferredSku=7865980010&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7865980010&mr:trackingCode=6242B1FE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA (they have various colors).

Haiku makes a cute one that is similar to the Donner:
http://www.rei.com/product/752091 They have different colors/styles.

I can wear both of the above either messenger style or over one shoulder.

They are not huge, though. REI should have both so you can see them.

hellokitty
09-22-2010, 09:53 PM
If you aren't opposed to bright colors, I'd suggest Lesportsac and vera bradley. I love mine! Soooo light, fun colors/patterns and washable too! I hate leather bags, they are just too heavy.

twowhat?
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
So I'm really liking the looks of the Orla Kiely bags - love the graphics which are bold without being busy, and tonal without being loud. And I love that they look structured, and have the little feet. The only thing stopping me is the magnetic closure on top - I MUCH prefer a zipper for security!!! Argh!

Babymakes3
09-22-2010, 10:47 PM
I have a Vera Bradley Pleated Tote that I love! You can't wear it cross body but it will work for all your other criteria. It's light and roomy, you should be able to wash it, several pockets inside, 2 outer pockets that are perfect for ds's sippy and my water bottle. It doesn't bother my shoulder at all and I carry quite a bit in it.
I have it in the Yellow Bird pattern but there are a few newer patterns that are nice too!
Here are the dimensions 14.75" x 14" x 5.25" with a 10.5" strap drop

Here is an ebay search link but check out the Vera site and cashback sites to figure out your best deal. Should easily be under $100 and then some! http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=vera+bradley+pleated+tote&_sacat=See-All-Categories

They have alot of neat bags so check them out!