PDA

View Full Version : Watching shows about other ages?

amldaley
09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Just curious....

My mom is here visiting and criticized that I had "iCarly" on TV. She said, "I didn't know you liked that kind of thing. It is a show for kids." I had it on b/c it is a "safer" show and I could not stand any more Nick Jr after listening to Toddler Tunes in the car every day. And it takes place in Seattle, so I get my hometown fix. And it is cute.

Another day she critized that I was watching the movie, "Somethings Gotta Give" because it is about older people and I could not POSSIBLY understand what the characters are experiencing. I think it is a great movie, I love the kicthen in it, it is funny as heck. I love Dianne Keaton, I love Nancy Meyers movies.

It just seems to me that I enjoy a broader range of film and TV. For years, I planned on being a film student. I love the nature of story telling.

Is it just me? I like all sorts of shows and movies. i don't have to watch something just b/c the characters are my age or my stage in life.

Does anyone else enjoy stories of all ages or do you prefer only watching what you can immediately identify with?

ellies mom
09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I enjoy stories for all ages too. Sometimes they are better written than stories "for my age".

Actually iCarly is on right now. I like it for the reasons you mentioned.

pinkmomagain
09-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I am just like you. I'd like to think that we are in the majority, and your mom is in the minority on this issue.

Puddy73
09-19-2010, 04:42 PM
You are not alone! I'd hate to be limited to "middle aged" programming. I'll out myself as being a faithful viewer of both "Teen Mom" on MTV and Golden Girls reruns!

dhano923
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
If I only watched things that pertained to my age, I'd lead a very sheltered life. I watch everything -- comedies, drama, Hannah Montana, Top Chef, and even a Golden Girls rerun once in a while. Gives me the ability to relate and learn about others.