PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest thing just happened!

misshollygolightly
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
This is so strange...I just have to share. I had just put DS to bed (after storytime, rocking together in the rocking chair for a bit, etc.), and gone into the kitchen to start fixing dinner for DH and myself. All of a sudden--completely out of the blue and with no warning at all--I feel this horrible, awful, crazy pain in my left knee. It happens so fast that I can't process it and all I can think is that I *HAVE* to get my jeans off so I can see what in the h3!! is going on with my knee! I start screaming for DH and ripping my jeans off (literally! and in clear view of anyone who happened to be walking/driving down our street!). I go screaming for DH into the other room and he calms me down and we look at my knee and there are four huge welts swelling up--one bleeding. DH goes to look at my jeans in the other room and...sure enough...there is a wasp in there!!! (DH promptly killed it, btw.)

I have *no* idea how or when a wasp managed to get into my fairly tight-fitting jeans and fly all the way up to my knee without me noticing. Our windows are closed...I hadn't been outside for at least 2 hours...and I'd been sitting on the couch or rocking chair with DS for most of that time. I'm just so grateful that the wasp got me and not DS, and that we figured out what the deal was. It's been a long time since I've been stung by a wasp, and never multiple times in a sensitive, clothing-covered spot. After about 15 minutes the pain really died down and it's barely noticeable now, but STILL! How weird is that????

JMS
09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Wow! That is so scary. It would have FREAKED me out! I agree that thankfully it was you and not DS. Hope it's completely better soon.

SnuggleBuggles
09-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Owwww!!! How scary! I'm glad you got him before he got you even more!

Beth

newg
09-19-2010, 09:19 PM
That is scary and strange! I'm glad you are okay!!

Also agree that it was you and not your DS!

LarsMal
09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Holy cow- that's crazy, and scary! Glad you are okay. I'm sorry you got stung, but glad it didn't happen to your DS.

boogiemomz
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh no!!! That is absolutely crazy! Glad the pain is easing up and DS is unscathed.

KrisM
09-19-2010, 09:24 PM
How crazy. I am glad it wasn't your DS.

bubbaray
09-19-2010, 09:31 PM
How scary -- I hate hate HATE wasps. I've had them fly into my shorts before (while driving!) and into my shirt (while road biking). OMG, words do not describe how much I hate wasps.

I'm so glad you are OK and it wasn't your DS. My DD#2 was stung when she was 5m old. The drs say no, but I swear it is what triggered her food allergies.... (crazy, I"m sure, but hey, gives me something to blame).

KathyN115
09-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Ugh, that would have totally freaked me out too!! Glad you are OK!

ThreeofUs
09-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Oh, OUCH!! That sounds terrible!

I've had that happen to me before - random wasp in clothing and nasty stings. I hate that it happened to you, but so great it didn't happen to your LO!

Hope you're okay.

LMPC
09-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Another wasp-hater here! That's a crazy story!! Glad it's feeling better!

hillview
09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
OMG wow how lucky is DS! I am glad you are ok but WOW what a surprise!
/hillary

MamaMolly
09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Check your chimney, you may have a nest. When Lula was born we got occasional wasps in our house, they were coming in through the fire place. It was horrible to find them crawling around in the house at completely random times and places.

And Benedryl for the itching that may be driving you insane by now.

amandabea
09-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Yikes - how scary and weird! So sorry that you were stung, but I agree with you at least it didn't get your DS!

brittone2
09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Check your chimney, you may have a nest. When Lula was born we got occasional wasps in our house, they were coming in through the fire place.

We've had this going on in our rental lately too. Sigh. I think they are gone now finally.

OP, the stings sound painful. I always tell my kids that if they are not flailing around, etc. bees are unlikely to bother them. 2 weeks ago I was at the pool and holding DS2. I got stung out of nowhere. I kinda flung my arm and the wasp flew over and flew up DH's rash guard and stung him twice (and he was having trouble getting it out). Yeah, it hurt and then it itched like crazy!

Having it trapped in your jeans sounds painful!

dhano923
09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
That happened to DH a couple years ago too! We had gone to the beach and were in the car driving home when he started saying something on his thigh was hurting. He kept swatting at his leg but it didn't stop. Finally he pulled over and took his cargo pants off and there was a wasp! He had a couple stings on his leg, but the wasp was injured so DH probably smacked it when he was swatting at his leg.

edurnemk
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Poor you! Something very similar happened to me 2 years ago! I was also stung indoors, I believe the wasp caught a ride in the stroller basket, I'm not sure, and I was holding DS when it stung me. It didn't go all the way up to my knee (it did go under my jeans but it stung me on the ankle), though, that is freaky. OK, I'm done highjacking your thread, ;)

Wasp stings are SO painful. I hope you're feeling better. The pharmacist at CVS told me to apply a paste of baking soda and water on it, and it really, really helped with the swelling.

Fairy
09-20-2010, 12:16 PM
What?! Ohmigod! That's a horror story, man. I'm so glad you're not allergic and that DS is ok. Wow! That's a great (terrible, but you know what I mean) story! :47:

misshollygolightly
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the commiseration and suggestions. I'm happy to report that my knee is pretty much back to normal now and only hurts if I press on it. Thank goodness there are no insect allergies in our family (that we know of)! Fortunately, the whole thing turned out to be much more of a bizarre and unsettling event than a medical emergency (though for about two minutes there it sort of felt like I was dying...but that's just cuz I'm a wuss ;))

Check your chimney, you may have a nest. When Lula was born we got occasional wasps in our house, they were coming in through the fire place. It was horrible to find them crawling around in the house at completely random times and places.

We don't actually have a chimney, but that's a good PSA. DH said he'd check all of our awnings and door/window wells today to make sure there are no nests. The cooler weather is nice, but I'm a bit afraid to leave my windows open now--even with screens. At any rate, I suppose the moral of the story is...umm...let's all invest in tear-off pants! :ROTFLMAO:

catsnkid
09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
That happened to me too. I was wearing slightly loose capri pants and it got me on the butt. I ripped my pants off in the front yard.. OW!

SpaceGal
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Ugh how terrible....glad you are alright now.

I found a wasp in our house the other day too...I had no idea how it got in either. Luckily, it was a slow one and I was able to suck it up with a dust buster....granted it took me a few tries to get him, he didn't even try to get away.

Corie
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Okay, this exact same thing happened to me except it was my shirt!

We were getting in the car to go out to dinner. Something stung me
3-4 times so I ripped off my shirt in the driveway.

There was the wasp.

misshollygolightly
09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Okay, this exact same thing happened to me except it was my shirt!

We were getting in the car to go out to dinner. Something stung me
3-4 times so I ripped off my shirt in the driveway.

There was the wasp.

Oh Corie, I'm so sorry! Maybe there's been a surge in the wasp population lately or something! Fortunately, the pain seems to die down pretty quickly. I guess if we start seeing random people ripping their clothes off in public we should give them the benefit of the doubt from now on :)