PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy make-up with good EWG ratings?

crl
09-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I'd like to start gradually replacing my make up with products that get better EWG ratings. But where do I find these? I don't want to pay shipping for each individual product, but I can't seem to find a site that carries a big selection? Does Whole Foods? I know they have some of this kind of stuff. Is it worth a trip to check?

(At the moment I'm looking for mascara and nail polish.)

Thanks!
Catherine

infomama
09-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Sephora has a natural line but research these even so. http://www.sephora.com/browse/section.jhtml?categoryId=C20378
These Tarte mascaras are '4' on Skindeep but my Dior mascara is a '5' and I *know* my Dior mascara is good stuff.

For nails I would go for Acquarella. It's $$ but a 1 on Skin Deep and been around a long time. http://store.acquarellapolish.com/Acquarella-Nail-Polish/M/B000WQU5IE.htm

crl
09-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks! Where do you get Aquarella?

Catherine

infomama
09-20-2010, 12:41 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Acquarella-Nail-Polish-Bikini/dp/B000WQU5LQ
You have to apply it differently than regular polishes http://acquarellapolish.com/click on 'application' then 'how to use'.

lovebebes
09-20-2010, 02:16 AM
It just so happens that Ive been using Korres mascara for the last 3 years or so simply because I like it, but some time ago when I started working on replacing my stuff with more natural I looked it up on EWG- and its a 3. I highly recommend it.

I prefer the one in the brown packaging as opposed to the white (i think it makes lashers longer and thicker). I like this mascara because I feel it makes my lashes look healthy and shiny, you know kind of like when you come out of the pool and they are wet?

And-one product that I discovered recently that totally blew me away is the tinted moisturizer from Tarte. It is simply amazing. I put it on and my skin glows and looks so healthy and even. It is only a 2 on EWG- for me to find a skin product I love this much and have it only be a 2 is a dream come true. I model so I have had just about every single foundation and tinted moisturizer on my face at some point, and I am very picky about them. Even the Armani foundation, which is in every makeup artists bag and is around $60, in my opinion does not come close to how awesome this Tarte product is. I put it on and just cannot tell I have anything on my face at all, yet I look a million times better. I highly recommend it.

Now I am on a quest to find a facial moisturizer that is well rated on EWG, and so far havent found anything...Im using Shiseido and Cle De Peau...Ive tried at least 15 well rated creams and hated them all-so if anyone has any suggestions-Id love to hear them!

MoJo
09-20-2010, 07:34 AM
When these threads came up in the past, I was too overwhelmed to do anything. But I'm also in the market for new mascara, and that Korres looks interesting. Anyone else like it?

I noticed a link on EWG to actually buy it from Amazon, with a portion of the purchase going to support EWG. I don't know if the prices are the same as you'd find elsewhere, but I thought that was pretty cool!:thumbsup:

crl
09-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the mascara recommendation!

Catherine

infomama
09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
And-one product that I discovered recently that totally blew me away is the tinted moisturizer from Tarte. It is simply amazing. I put it on and my skin glows and looks so healthy and even. It is only a 2 on EWG- for me to find a skin product I love this much and have it only be a 2 is a dream come true. I model so I have had just about every single foundation and tinted moisturizer on my face at some point, and I am very picky about them. Even the Armani foundation, which is in every makeup artists bag and is around $60, in my opinion does not come close to how awesome this Tarte product is. I put it on and just cannot tell I have anything on my face at all, yet I look a million times better. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the rec. I bought the Korres watermelon tinted moisturizer and I really don't like it. I am taking it back tomorrow and getting Tarte. I'm getting the Korres mascara, too. Time to replace my Dior anyway. Thanks!

infomama
09-22-2010, 08:43 AM
So let me tell you all that the Tarte tinted moisturizer (I use Yes To Carrots as my moisturizer) and the Korres mascara is AWESOME. Love them both so thanks again for the suggestions!!

fedoragirl
09-24-2010, 09:51 AM
I chucked all my makeup and replaced it with Tarte. So far, I love everything about it. I have a "treasure chest" with all the eyeshadows and blushes, etc. The pigments are long-lasting and they stay put. I want to try their stain blush but for $30, I don't know if I can justify it. I don't use foundation but would love a full coverage tinted moisturizer. I tried Bare Minerals sort of thing, and it makes me look very ashy. And now with a little baby, I don't use much makeup because I don't want it rubbing off on her clothes.

lovebebes
10-05-2010, 03:14 AM
So let me tell you all that the Tarte tinted moisturizer (I use Yes To Carrots as my moisturizer) and the Korres mascara is AWESOME. Love them both so thanks again for the suggestions!!

oh yay! Im so glad you loved both items!!! You know, just for comparison I got a sample of the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer that everyone seems to love- and I thought it really sucked next to Tarte's. To me it seemed as though it had no coverage at all-so what is the point, i may as well not wear anything. Plus the color selection was poor...I feel Tarte did such a great job on the colors for their tinted m.

And the Korres mascara-for some reason gets better when its just a tiny bit older. I dont know why-usually its the other way around-but I swear its true. Ive noticed mine becomes really good after a week or two! What color did you get-I use the brown and love it.

Off to Sephora's site to try and buy the Tarte as Im out. The other day was my second trip to my Sephora with a mission of buying it-and they were out-again.

infomama
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
And the Korres mascara-for some reason gets better when its just a tiny bit older. I dont know why-usually its the other way around-but I swear its true. Ive noticed mine becomes really good after a week or two! What color did you get-I use the brown and love it.

I got black since that is really all I buy..I love it. For some reason it feels SO light...totally hooked.

crl
10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Where are you all buying the Korres mascara? I've been delaying buying it because I don't want to pay shipping just for it.

Thanks!
Catherine

infomama
10-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Where are you all buying the Korres mascara? I've been delaying buying it because I don't want to pay shipping just for it.

Thanks!
Catherine
Sephora has it in the store.

Katigre
10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I only do eye makeup and this is what I use:

Eye shadow/eyeliner/concealer = Alima Pure (http://www.alimapure.com)

You can buy samples of all their products for $1 each and they are definitely enough for a month of daily wear (at least they are for me). I never thought I'd like using powdered eyeliner (had always used a pencil) but i'm totally loving it and think it looks just as nice (and is easier to apply smoothly if you get the brush wet so it's like painting it on).

For mascara I'm using Jane Iredale (bought it on Ebay for $11/tube).

crl
10-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Sephora has it in the store.

Ah. Must make it to actual mall. Thanks!

Catherine

crl
10-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I only do eye makeup and this is what I use:

Eye shadow/eyeliner/concealer = Alima Pure (http://www.alimapure.com)

You can buy samples of all their products for $1 each and they are definitely enough for a month of daily wear (at least they are for me). I never thought I'd like using powdered eyeliner (had always used a pencil) but i'm totally loving it and think it looks just as nice (and is easier to apply smoothly if you get the brush wet so it's like painting it on).

For mascara I'm using Jane Iredale (bought it on Ebay for $11/tube).

Wow, that's a great color range and so cool that the samples are just $1. The matte eyeshadows are scored at a 2. Nice.

Catherine

emily_gracesmama
10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Bare minerals are another option. Sadly I am gonna go back to bad foundation. The bare minerals just do not wear well on my skin. But a friend loves them!