PDA

View Full Version : What do you clean that others don't as much?

kijip
09-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Conversely what do you not do that others do?

I insist on:
Regularly cleaning the seal on the freezer and fridge
Washing the outside of my cabinets

But I don't really care much about:

Folding clothes- seriously if left to me, the only laundry that would be folded would be towels and sheets. Everything else would go loose into drawers or hung up. However, my husband is a folding fiend, so he folds everything.

And while I care about it very much, I hate vacuuming the stairs to such a degree that I just leave it for someone else to do.

niccig
09-20-2010, 01:51 AM
My countertops and the top of the stove - these MUST be wiped down as soon as there's a spill. I have old white tiled counters and a friend with similar countertop is surprised the grout is not stained on mine.

Wringing out the dish cloth - OMG, I think I'm the only person that must wring it out and drape it over the faucet so it dries. No one in my family or ILs do this

Outside of the windows. The inside gets done by the housecleaner, but in the 5 years we've lived here, the outside have been cleaned once. I've washed the windows a few times, but I always start at a different place and don't quite make it all the way around the house, so I think every window has been done about once:bag and a couple have been cleaned a few times.
an
I really really need to get in and do them again. MIL says I should pay someone to do them, which is what she does, but she's 67 and has a two storey house. I'm half her age and it's all one level and the windows can be reached by standing on a small step ladder...no excuse for me to not get the windows down more than once in FIVE years...

KrisM
09-20-2010, 06:55 AM
I clean the inside seal to the dishwasher.

I dislike dusting and it rarely gets done by me. I bought the kids feather dusters and now they dust.

Nicci - every try the Windex outdoor window stuff that just goes on a hose? I did once and it worked okay. Of course, I haven't cleaned our windows since they were install 4 years ago...

niccig
09-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I clean the inside seal to the dishwasher.

I dislike dusting and it rarely gets done by me. I bought the kids feather dusters and now they dust.

Nicci - every try the Windex outdoor window stuff that just goes on a hose? I did once and it worked okay. Of course, I haven't cleaned our windows since they were install 4 years ago...

Good idea to get the kids to dust! I don't like to dust either.

I have not tried the outdoor windex stuff that goes on the hose. I should look at that. Part of the problem is that we have a lot of landscaping on 3 sides of the house and you have to fight with the bushes to get in close to the windows. We do need to go and wash down the trim that's around the roof - I call it a facia, don't know what it's called here - should do that at same time as do windows. I also need to check our windows for any signs of rot - we have old style wood windows in great condition and part of the reason I have not hired anyone to do the windows is that I can get up close to check out the sill/sash if it needs any repairs.

ETA. I have another one - I clean my washing machine. I get old soap build up in the dispenser and scum around the top of the washing machine. My MIL was surprised when she found out I clean my washing machine out.

BabyBearsMom
09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I clean the inside of my dishwasher (like the bottom underneath the heating coils). You would be horrified if you really took a look around in there because all of the excess food on your dishes just sits there forever, ugh, I get sick feeling just thinking about it.

I also clean the seal of my dish-washer and of my freezer/fridge. That can grow a lot of mildew.

MamaMolly
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
My washcloths *must* be folded into 4ths and placed on the shelf with the folded parts lined up. I will flip a washcloth going in the wrong direction if I see it. Makes me crazy.

I hang most of my clothes so I don't have to iron them. :bag

I must sweep our kitchen floor at least 4 times a day.

tiapam
09-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I go crazy trying to get the sippy cups we use for milk clean. We don't put them in the dishwasher and we are terrible about using the same cup for awhile so they get kind of crusty (no ill effects for the kids though!) and are a pain. I am trying to start a habit of starting a new cup for them every night and then washing the old one right away so it won't take very long. DH does a terrible job of hand washing *any* dishes. Like washes the inside of a pot but not the handle or the outside! Drives me crazy especially if he puts it away (doubtful) and I discover it when I am trying to cook.

I also clean the inside of the clothes washer, but just the top parts I can reach pretty easily. There is a lot of lint in there and I figure the more I get out the better.

I don't care about the floors too much unless they get sticky or are otherwise unpleasant to walk on. I also don't vacuum the carpet very often, but we have cleaners come every two weeks and the carpeted areas are just bedrooms.

I know I have more things only I clean because I often think, huh DH would never even notice this, as I am cleaning. But I can't think of them right now! Probably means I have not done them in a while...