PDA

View Full Version : Stumped Mama!

dukie41181
09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
My daughter is 19 months old and has recently (the last week or so) become very very whiney and cranky! It seems like a lot of times she is only non-whiney if she is eating or in the bath! I don't know whats going on. I don't know if she is just really hungry (and thus not whiney when eating) or if I'm just missing what she is trying to communicate. I don't want to overfeed her if she doesn't need the nutrients so I'm hesitant to give her the snacks. I feel terrible saying that! I had always thought that if they want food, give it to them...but there are lots of times I feel like she would eat all day long! What could possibly be going on? Yesterday we moved her nap earlier and she was in better spirits. She is still sleeping 11-12 hrs. at night and getting a 2-4 hour daytime nap. I wonder if the whininess is due to sleepiness. Might she just be more tired? Has anyone else hit a stage like this around this age?

She has all her teeth except her 2nd molars and I think its too early to be getting those. Maybe a growth spurt?

luckytwenty
09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
My daughter has gone through whiny periods since she was around that age. I just am firm and will not respond to whining and tell her to ask me again in her big girl voice. That usually works. I find her whininess seems to strike when she's starting a new school year or camp...new childcare providers might be more tolerant of whining than I am, so she tests me to see if it will work at home.

dukie41181
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
My daughter has gone through whiny periods since she was around that age. I just am firm and will not respond to whining and tell her to ask me again in her big girl voice. That usually works. I find her whininess seems to strike when she's starting a new school year or camp...new childcare providers might be more tolerant of whining than I am, so she tests me to see if it will work at home.

I sure wish my daughter was able to communicate with her words! Unfortunately, we aren't there yet and thats mainly whats stumping me. :(

brittone2
09-20-2010, 01:30 PM
How is her speech?

Can you work with her on signing some too if it is an issue at all?

DS1 was very whiny at that age. It passed. Not much help though I'm sure :hug:

dukie41181
09-20-2010, 01:41 PM
How is her speech?

Can you work with her on signing some too if it is an issue at all?

DS1 was very whiny at that age. It passed. Not much help though I'm sure :hug:

She has some words/phrases but is definately not communicating fluently! She says: kitty, dog, all done, shoe, cup, dad, mom, bye bye, hi, purple, ball, baby and balloon. She understands a lot more than she is able to say.

We don't sign and have never ventured down that road. Perhaps that would help right now but I don't think I have the energy or time to put the effort into it seeing as I am 33 weeks pregnant and am working on wrapping up at work and preparing for a new baby.

peanut520
09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
:hug: i'm sorry. dd just turned 19 mos and have been doing the same think, but ours issue is teething. she got her first 8 in 2 months and it looks like the pattern is repeating itself with the molars and canines. i feel your pain.

brittone2
09-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I get not wanting to go down that road, but you really could just introduce a handful of powerful signs to her that *may* help reduce frustration, etc. (I'm not sure if you think there could be any connection between the frustration and the whiney thing so feel free to ignore).

Some powerful signs around here that we've used:
eat or hungry
drink (or nurse/milk)
play
more
all done
and help

Sleep/tired would be another good one but my kids never really went for that sign ;)

Just working on a few of those might give her a little more power to communicate. She's already got some of those obviously, but those are some of the ones we've found powerful/helpful.

This site shows you via a video how to do each sign in ASL.

Help was always powerful for us even up to 2-2.5 when the tantrums would strike. Sometimes they couldn't get the word out when they were frustrated but would do the sign for help.

dukie41181
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
I get not wanting to go down that road, but you really could just introduce a handful of powerful signs to her that *may* help reduce frustration, etc. (I'm not sure if you think there could be any connection between the frustration and the whiney thing so feel free to ignore).

Some powerful signs around here that we've used:
eat or hungry
drink (or nurse/milk)
play
more
all done
and help

Sleep/tired would be another good one but my kids never really went for that sign ;)

Just working on a few of those might give her a little more power to communicate. She's already got some of those obviously, but those are some of the ones we've found powerful/helpful.

This site shows you via a video how to do each sign in ASL.

Help was always powerful for us even up to 2-2.5 when the tantrums would strike. Sometimes they couldn't get the word out when they were frustrated but would do the sign for help.

What site?

Thanks!

brittone2
09-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Whoops. I have a cold and brain fog.

http://aslbrowser.commtechlab.msu.edu/browser.htm

Easy to use IME.

Green_Tea
09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
My daughter is 19 months old and has recently (the last week or so) become very very whiney and cranky! It seems like a lot of times she is only non-whiney if she is eating or in the bath! I don't know whats going on. I don't know if she is just really hungry (and thus not whiney when eating) or if I'm just missing what she is trying to communicate. I don't want to overfeed her if she doesn't need the nutrients so I'm hesitant to give her the snacks. I feel terrible saying that! I had always thought that if they want food, give it to them...but there are lots of times I feel like she would eat all day long! What could possibly be going on? Yesterday we moved her nap earlier and she was in better spirits. She is still sleeping 11-12 hrs. at night and getting a 2-4 hour daytime nap. I wonder if the whininess is due to sleepiness. Might she just be more tired? Has anyone else hit a stage like this around this age?

She has all her teeth except her 2nd molars and I think its too early to be getting those. Maybe a growth spurt?

I think it sounds like she might be going through a growth spurt and perhaps does need more food/calories and perhaps more sleep. In terms of offering foods, as long as you're offering healthy snacks like fruits and veggies, cheese, yogurt and whole grains, I would not worry about her overeating.

Avispa
09-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Our DD was (and still is at 20 month) more whiney and cranky around that age. It was definitively worst when she was teething, but she still is more whiney than she used to be a few months back even now that her teething seems to be over.

Signing is helping, but sometimes it makes no difference, she doesn't seem to know what she wants herself! But if your little one seems to be hungry I wouldn't keep the snacks from her, unless there is some medical reason to do so. If you offer her healthy options like fruits and veggies, then there is no reason to keep food away from her. I find that my DD can eat tons on some days and next to nothing on others, so when she wants food, I certainly offer her more to eat, as long as it is healthy. She might be going through a growth spurt.

kam
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
This sounds like my DD! My current theory, for us, is growth spurt combined with an overwhelming urge to talk. She's growing, so she's always tired and hungry. She's trying so hard to talk, and is struggling with it, so she gets frustrated. The combo = cranky, frustrated, whiny baby.

It does suck. Good luck at your end!

dukie41181
09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
This sounds like my DD! My current theory, for us, is growth spurt combined with an overwhelming urge to talk. She's growing, so she's always tired and hungry. She's trying so hard to talk, and is struggling with it, so she gets frustrated. The combo = cranky, frustrated, whiny baby.

It does suck. Good luck at your end!

Good luck at your end too!

I must say, I'm so glad others are here with me too! I get so frustrated at times because I just don't know what to do...feel at my wits end! And thanks for the reminder that as long as she's getting good food, thats all that matters. Usually I grab something FAST like Cheerios (just to stop the whining!)...and while I don't really think of those as "good" food I could perhaps just give them to tide her over while I prepare something better...like cutting up fruit or pulling out the yogurt. Thanks for the reminders and the comradiere on this one!