PDA

View Full Version : S/O Board games

Meatball Mommie
09-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I am, and always have been, a fan of board games. Love 'em. It seems like there are others out there who are like me. But, when do you have time to play them??? And are your kids/DH as interested in them as you are???

DH & I both work full time and my kids are in school full time too. They have sports and piano and homework... So during the week, it's just tough to fit in the stuff we HAVE to do, let alone time for games. Do you play on weekends then? Have a family game night? Not watch tv? Just curious/nosey ;)

I feel like I keep buying games, in the hopes that someone will play them with me, but that we never end up playing them that much...maybe it's just us...

Melaine
09-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking about this too. Growing up we didn't watch TV at all. We did watch movies pretty often, but nothing like the amount that we watch now. So we played in the evenings a bunch. And we were homeschooled so didn't have a lot of school stuff in the evenings. When the girls are a bit older I can see us playing games more often. With two three year olds it often winds up as just another chance to referee a vicious competition.

egoldber
09-20-2010, 02:41 PM
It is really hard to find the time during the week. When we often squeeze in a quick game with older DD after homework and bath and before bed. For this reason, I have become a bit obsessive about acquiring games that can be played quickly. Older DD loves games like Life and Monopoly but sadly they just take too long for us.

On weekend nights we play a lot.

ETA: My younger DD is also NOT great about cooperating or just watching a game. So some games we simply can't play while she is awake.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Just not watch TV and play games is what dh and I do. I am a SAHM so I have time to play with the kids during the day and after school. Ds1 goes through phases of liking games and ds2 hasn't really started playing any.

Beth

m448
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I also try to get quickly played games but I'm a homeschooling mom so the kids and I can play games during the day. Sometimes we'll do some games after dinner and before bedtime. DH and I play some evenings on the weekends.

We just picked up mancala and I can't wait to teach it to the boys. Card games, Jenga, and dominoes are recent hits. Rush hour jr. is a hit in both camps because they can play it alone LOL.

AnnieW625
09-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Right now we play them with the girls (yes DD2 has to play too per DD1) before bed. DH and I weren't really big game players pre kids, but yeah we'd turn off the tv and play games. Eventually we'll start playing Scrabble or Boggle again once both girls are in bed at the same time (DD2 often stays up a bit later).