PDA

View Full Version : s/o: so how long do you plan to rear face?

AnnieW625
09-20-2010, 05:05 PM
As most of the regulars here know DD1 didn't rear face past 12 mos. old, and by the time I learned RFing was better she was already riding in a Britax Frontier.

With DD2 I am cautiously optimistic that we can probably make it until 3 depending on what seats we get for our cars. (DD1's Marathon, and Triumph expire before DD2 turns 2 so they are pretty much out) An XTSL is most likely out for DH's car, but might work for mine, and for DH since it's a small car (01 Corolla) we'll most likely be getting a regular Britax Roundabout, Roundabout 55, or BLVD, but knowing how DH is he'd prefer the same seats in each of our cars.

HIU8
09-20-2010, 05:09 PM
I RFed DS until 3 yrs 4 months. We had a MA that RF to 33 lbs. I didn't think it was justifiable to buy another convertible seat at that point. With DD she RF to 2.5 yrs old. Same MA style that RF to 33 lbs. Per Julie I actually kept her RF to 35 lbs to get through the winter (2 lbs in 2 months). I did turn her FF at that point. Again, I could not justify another convertible seat. Plus, 6 months later and DD was 40 lbs. If both my kids were skinny like DS and I had a seat that RF to 40 or 45 lbs they would stay RF to the max of the seat no question.

KrisM
09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
One of our Radians goes to 35 lbs and the others only to 33lbs. DS2 is 26 months and about 28 lbs, so we'll see how long he goes. If he has a big spurt, I'd consider the 40lbs Scenara to make at least to age 3, but other than that I won't buy another convertible.

DS1 outgrew the Wizard by weight at 27 months and DD was switched at about 28 months and 31 lbs when she and DS1 kept poking each other in the eyes and I figured FF was probably safer than losing an eye.

edurnemk
09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Until we reach the weight limit of our Blvd (35 lb). DS is almost 30 lb now, he's 2.7 yo. So maybe we'll make it to 3.5 yo.

citymama
09-20-2010, 05:23 PM
We RFed DD1 till a little past 2, so we'd like to do at least the same with DD2, or maybe longer.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
We're close to 3 and I see no reason we won't go beyond that. He's tiny so we have a while size wise.

Beth

essnce629
09-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Most likely till we reach the limit of our seat (TFP). DS2 is 16 months and is really tall with a tall torso, but he's a stick at barely 22lbs so I think the TFP will last him several years RF'ing with it's extra tall shell. It will be a LONG time till he reaches the 35lb weight limit. We definately don't need a 40lb seat!

DS1 was RF'ing till he reached the weight limit of his original RA at 2 1/2 years old and 33lbs. So I definately think DS2 will make it to at least three years old.

MoJo
09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
'Til she reaches the RF weight limit for her seats. I think that's 35 for her MAs? She's already more than 30 lbs. I think she may be past the RF limit already in the Scenara in G-ma's car, but she hasn't been in that car for several months.

wellyes
09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
In my car, she'll rear face until she can't anymore. 2.5 years old and 25 lbs so I think a LOOONG time from now since we have a Boulevard.

In DH's car she's already FF due to space issues - have to push driver's seat forward for her to RF which is less safe for the driver.

Joolsplus2
09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
'Til she reaches the RF weight limit for her seats. I think that's 35 for her MAs? She's already more than 30 lbs. I think she may be past the RF limit already in the Scenara in G-ma's car, but she hasn't been in that car for several months.

Scenera's almost as tall as the Marathon, and has a 35lb limit RF, I bet she's still got some room RF in that seat, if you don't wait too many more months :wink2: (Leah fit RF till 35lbs and 42 inches at almost age 4, lol).

MoJo
09-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Jools! (I think we'll be seeing my mom again in about 2 weeks)

katydid1971
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Jools,
DD is RF in a true fit in DH's car. The strap adjustor says it should only go to the second notch when rearfacing. She is slim but tall and that notch seems so low, if I moved it to the next notch it wouldn't be above her shoulders but would be higher than the carsear says for rear facing. Should I leave it where it is or should I move it up to the next notch position? Does my question make sense? Thanks for helping me with this.

katydid1971
09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
And to answer the original question...as long as she can :)

arivecchi
09-20-2010, 07:45 PM
To the limits of our XTSL :)

AnnieW625
09-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Scenera's almost as tall as the Marathon, and has a 35lb limit RF, I bet she's still got some room RF in that seat, if you don't wait too many more months :wink2: (Leah fit RF till 35lbs and 42 inches at almost age 4, lol).

Hmm. Maybe I can talk my DCP to turning DD1 around as she is the same size as Leah and that's the seat she is riding in to and from preschool this year. :wink2:

Momto1
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Until she reaches the limit of our RA 50 (probably height first), which I'm pretty sure won't be until after 2.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
until she reaches the limits of the seat. That might be age seven. Seriously.

we have a Radian XTSL which has a limit of 45 pounds rear facing. She is a tiny thing and we don't expect her to be tall, so she could end up fitting in it to age seven or beyond. Unless I find a reason to switch her sooner, if new studies come out or something.

kam
09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
To the limits of her Orbit toddler seat. At least age 2, and probably closer to 3, even with our 90% for height girl. Once she reaches the limits, we'll turn her.

We've JUST moved to the last shoulder straps for RF, but we've got a few inches in torso height to go before she outgrows them.

MontrealMum
09-21-2010, 02:33 PM

:yeahthat: Which might be soon :( DS just had a huge growth spurt weight-wise, so I'm thinking a height one is coming up soon...though most of his height is in his legs, so it's hard to say.

tmahanes
09-21-2010, 02:36 PM

:yeahthat:

newg
09-21-2010, 09:58 PM
DD is 2.5 and still RF. I'd like to keep her RF 'till at least 3, but she's growing like a weed! She's now 31lbs and 37 inches. She had to go FF in DH's car already and he'd love to have her FF in my car.

jent
09-21-2010, 10:31 PM
To the weight limit. DD is nearly 3.5 and likes her carseat the way it is. In fact I mentioned today to her that we might have to turn the seat around soon and she was vehemently opposed to the idea (though she's kind of in that don't-want-to-try-anything-new stage right now).

robinsmommy
09-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Erm, well, I need to flip her back to RF - we had her FF to try to work a 3-across out. Not to mention preventing her from kicking her sister - she can reach all the way across the space between seats and over the sidewings of a Vivo...

But, as she is 25 lbs and 3.5 years, we'll shoot for May of next year - she'll be 4 yrs and a bit, and the winter driving will be past us. I may keep her RF longer, but she wants to be FF, so unless the Dr tells me that her bones are underdeveloped or something, we'll probably turn her then.

At least Radians have the safestop feature to help with whiplash FF.

crl
09-21-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm shooting for two for starters. DD is 5 months old now and 90th percentile in height and weight. We'll see how big she is and what the weight limits are on rear facing when we get there.

I only got to 18 months with ds, largely because dh turned him around in his tiny car to make the seat fit with a passenger in the passenger seat.

Catherine

okinawama
09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
I had hoped to make it to at least 2, but my son hit the 33lb weight limit at 17months, so I turned him then.

I am hoping that my second will be hang out more in the middle of the growth chart rather than completely off it like my first.

gatorsmom
09-23-2010, 07:40 AM
The twins will be 3yo in November and we are still rearfacing. Its just a fact of life for them. They will be very surprised one day when I turn them!

Anytime another mom asks me how long they will be RF I always say "up to the weight limits (because my kids are petite and height is not a concern) of the carseat which for these MA is 35lbs."

MoJo
09-23-2010, 08:09 AM
I might have to change my answer. I said until she reaches the MA limit for RF (which could be very soon even though she's only 27 months). But if we're going to keep both cars easily usable for family travel, we'll be needing more seats in six months or so when Ha outgrows her bucket. Maybe I should get something that would let Jelly Bean RF longer (new MAs?) and give Ha the MAs that Jelly Bean is now riding in. Once I get there, I'll let you know!

carolinamama
09-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm thinking until the limits of the seat or until age 3 if DS2 hasn't reached 35 lbs by then. I just know that I'm not ready to switch him at this point - he turns 2 next week. DH thinks we should turn him when he's 2, but I'm just not understanding why we would.

Don't flame me for this but I'm half thinking of turning him for a 15 hr road trip (and the return 15 hr drive) in November and then putting him back to RF when we get home. He is not a happy rider and I'm already dreading his screaming. But I'm planning at this point to start out RFing with the option of turning him if he is unbearable in the car.

babychi
09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
If all goes to plan, to the limits of our new Britax Boulevard 70.

arivecchi
09-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I had hoped to make it to at least 2, but my son hit the 33lb weight limit at 17months, so I turned him then.

I am hoping that my second will be hang out more in the middle of the growth chart rather than completely off it like my first.
The Radian 80SL and the XTSL go to 45 pounds rear facing and the new Britaxes go to 40, so that could buy you more time.

smilequeen
09-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I turned DS1 at just shy of 2 and close to the weight limits at that time. Now the weight limits are much higher.
DS2 was just over 2, but in retrospect I should have kept him RF longer. He was/is much lighter.
DS3, we'll see how big he is and how long he can go :)

wildfire
09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
We'll be going to 3 with DD1. We need a second set of carseats, so we are going to invest in the Frontier 85 and give her Boulevard to DD2. And I don't want to buy her a new convertible just to keep RF after 3.

okinawama
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
The Radian 80SL and the XTSL go to 45 pounds rear facing and the new Britaxes go to 40, so that could buy you more time.

right now, it's just not an option. I had hoped that buying the marathon would get us RF to age 2, but unfortunately not. When the day comes, we do plan on buying a convertible carseat that has a higher RF limit for our subsequent children.