PDA

View Full Version : DS's milestone today

Gena
09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
DS got his first library card today! His 1st grade class had a field trip to the public library and the kids were given their own library cards if the parent(s) had filled out the required form.

When I was a kid, our public library required a child to be 6 years old to get their own library card. I remember how much I wanted one and how hard it was to wait. Mom checked books out for me on her card all the time, but I really wanted my own card. The Saturday after I turned 6, Mom took me to the library and I got my long awaited for card. I checked out a few books and then we celebrated with ice cream. I can still remember how excited I was that day.

So I had offered to get DS a library card several times before today, but he didn't want one. He was fine with me checking out books for him. I could have gotten him his own card anyway, but I wanted to wait until it meant something special to him.

His class spent a few days talking about the library and what a big responsibility it is to check books out on your library card. We talked about it at home too. He finally seemed interested in getting his own library card, so I filled out his form. This morning DS was excited about the field trip. When I came home from work today, DS grinned from ear to ear when he showed me his new library card and the book he had checked out!

This was also DS's first field trip with the mainstream class, so it's really two milestones. I'm so proud of him!

Corie
09-20-2010, 09:40 PM
That is so cool!! What a great day!! :)

pinkmomagain
09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Wish there was a "like" button on here, because I'd be pressing it. Nice milestone!

mytwosons
09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Wish there was a "like" button on here, because I'd be pressing it. Nice milestone!

:yeahthat:

cchavez
09-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Awesome!

crl
09-20-2010, 11:56 PM
That is great!

Catherine

brittone2
09-21-2010, 12:07 AM
wooohoo!

Who doesn't love having their own library card?? :yay:

goldenpig
09-21-2010, 01:09 AM
:boogie: Yay for your DS!

hillview
09-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Wahoo -- super cool!!
/hillary

DietCokeLover
09-21-2010, 07:27 AM
How fun!!! Love the excitement of a child.

JBaxter
09-21-2010, 07:27 AM
its amazing when something as mundane as getting a library card ROCKS YOUR WORLD! Congrats to the big guy.