PDA

View Full Version : WTH do you do with all the extra buttons or other extras that come with clothes?

tiapam
09-20-2010, 11:22 PM
This is such a tiny bit of stuff in the house, but seriously, I cut tags off a new shirt for DD today and did not know what to do with the extra button. I know I have buttons in more than one spot right now, some of which I can no longer remember. Do you put everyone's extra buttons in one spot? Separate spots? What do you actually put them in? I don't often need one but of course when I do, I can't find it!

DrSally
09-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I have a plastic steralite shoe box container with my sewing supplies. In that, I have 2 plastic "tackle boxes" that are thin. They have dividers. One of them I use for thread, another, I use for buttons. I actuall use the dividers to separate the buttons by color, LOL!

I have a little mint tin that I use for extra yarn that comes with sweaters and another for fabric samples that I can bring to stores if I'm trying to match something.

happymom
09-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I usually do not save them unless they are very unique and would be hard to replace. I usually just put them in my dresser drawer. But in all honesty, I don't think I have EVER used an extra button that I've saved.

Does this thread remind anyone else of the Seinfeld bit though? He has some funny lines about exactly this...extra buttons!

DrSally
09-20-2010, 11:30 PM
My mom had a Mason jar of buttons. I wish she still had it b/c I'm sure there were some unique buttons in there. There are lots of uses for antique buttons.

wallawala
09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I throw them in a ziploc that is stuffed into my little sewing kit (a bag from one of those free makeup promotions like lancome etc). It's a little kit because I resew buttons on about 1x/wear. I used to hand hem all my pants (damn short legs). But now found a local place that does it for $8. It's so not worth my time to do it anymore!

I was just complaining I'd have to toss my trench coat because I lost one of the big buttons on the front. Usually those extras are sewn onto a tag. It was an inexpensive trench from TJMaxx... but fit well and cute.

Just found the extra button in my zippy... Coat saved!

niccig
09-21-2010, 12:22 AM
I throw them in a ziploc

I do the same. I have a ziplock in my sewing supplies. I just throw them all in together and figure I can sort as looking for a particular button. As a PP mentioned, I don't think I ever used the extra button.

My sewing supplies are kept in a box,much like a tool box or tackle box. It's all contained, and I don't sew that much to warrant a better system.

MontrealMum
09-21-2010, 02:11 AM
I have several large ziplocs full of all the 'extra' buttons that come with clothing stored in the jewelry drawer of my dresser. It's more compact than you might think and I know right where it is, just in case. I've only needed one once, but I feel that I ought to keep them all just in case. So, at least I'm keeping them all together. I don't actually have a sewing box. I'd keep them in the sewing machine but that's mostly full of my grandma's buttons and sewing supplies (I inherited it from her ;) )

KrisM
09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't keep them because I don't know where to keep them. I figure I could find something that matches well enough. But, I think I'll try to find a place and keep them. Do you all keep them in the little bag they come in or just loose?

hillview
09-21-2010, 07:58 AM
They are adding to my mess in my top drawer!
/hillary

wellyes
09-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I toss them after years & years of not knowing what in the heck to do with them.

But I like the Mason jar idea. I think I'll start saving them there. I swear the case of empty mason jars I bought has been endlessly useful.

DietCokeLover
09-21-2010, 08:03 AM
They are adding to my mess in my top drawer!
/hillary

Me too!

Melaine
09-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Some are in my jewelry box but the ultimate destination is my sewing bag.

mommylamb
09-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I save buttons. I've had to go back and use them many times. I toss the thread that sometimes comes with fine knit sweaters. I don't sew, so what's the point.

MamaMolly
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I save them in a really pretty pressed glass jar. They look nice and it is one of the things on or in my dresser that I have no problem letting Lula play with. I got the jar at a junk store, I'm sure, and liked that it had a screw on lid.

My mom kept them in a coffee can and I remember loving to play with them as a kid.

tiapam
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Ok, I am going to save the next pretty jar I get and do that. And I realized I have a good spot for it in a cabinet above the laundry machines. I already put a small box of sewing things there (when I put it away!). I just do mending so I don't have much.

I did come across the idea of a button wreath a while back and thought it was a neat and easy idea (and I am not crafty!). Here are two examples of how you could do it:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/12/vintage_button_wreath.html

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/button-wreath-ornament

I also saw button bouquets at a craft fair this summer. There is a lot of info online if you Google it. The seller I saw used salt shakers and what looked like florist wire. I really wanted one but I was a good girl and restrained myself. I figure if I really want one I can make it myself!

I also remember playing with my mom's button box. It was some sort of plastic box that had held something else before. I still remember the picture on top! I think my sister has it, I will have to visit it and see if I remember any buttons.

DrSally
09-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I was just complaining I'd have to toss my trench coat because I lost one of the big buttons on the front. Usually those extras are sewn onto a tag. It was an inexpensive trench from TJMaxx... but fit well and cute.

Just found the extra button in my zippy... Coat saved!

:thumbsup: Good news!

edurnemk
09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I have a sewing supply box, and I keep extra buttons and threads in a ziploc inside this box.

DrSally
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't keep them because I don't know where to keep them. I figure I could find something that matches well enough. But, I think I'll try to find a place and keep them. Do you all keep them in the little bag they come in or just loose?

Just toss loose. I think I'm going to switch my system to a Mason Jar. I think it would be more fun and those little compartments in my tackle box drive me to color sort, which is really not necessary!

KrisM
09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Just toss loose. I think I'm going to switch my system to a Mason Jar. I think it would be more fun and those little compartments in my tackle box drive me to color sort, which is really not necessary!

I have a small drawer in my dresser that holds lonely socks until I find a mate. I am going to put a small basket in there to catch the buttons.

cono0507
09-21-2010, 03:06 PM
This is such a tiny bit of stuff in the house, but seriously, I cut tags off a new shirt for DD today and did not know what to do with the extra button. I know I have buttons in more than one spot right now, some of which I can no longer remember. Do you put everyone's extra buttons in one spot? Separate spots? What do you actually put them in? I don't often need one but of course when I do, I can't find it!

I take them out of the mini-bags they come in and dump all the buttons in a ziploc in my sewing kit. I'm glad I keep them because I have definitely made use of them when we've lost buttons along the way! :)

MommyAllison
09-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Most of them that I've had come in tiny ziploc type bags, so I write a quick description of the item (ie Gap black peacoat) on the bag and keep them all together in a plastic pencilbox.

AJP
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I used to keep them all over the house. Sewing kit, kitchen junk drawer, bathroom. Now I just toss! I feel so free lol. I've never had to replace any unique enough that I had to search farther than my moms sewing kit.