PDA

View Full Version : Do you still use a highchair for your toddler?

conniez
09-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Just curious what the meal-time situation is...whether you still use the highchair, sit DC on your lap, or something else?

twowhat?
09-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Our 2yos sit at a little picnic table. Cleanup is so much easier than a high chair (and we had super easy-to-clean IKEA high chairs too).

scriptkitten
09-20-2010, 11:58 PM
My almost 2 yr old twins have svan high chairs that have been pushed up to the table with no trays since 16-17m

MontrealMum
09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
We've only ever had a Tripp Trapp for DS. We took the baby rail off sometime between 12-18 mos (very fuzzy on this) and took the harness off shortly after that. He sits in it like a real chair, except it's adjusted so he can sit comfortably at the table just like the rest of us.

PunkyBoo
09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
We use the Fisher Price healthy Booster, just pushed up to the table. I like that he is still in a seatbelt, he likes that he is in a chair like the rest of us. We switched out of the high chair right about 15 months.

conniez
09-21-2010, 12:42 AM
I should've asked this in the original post, but at what age did you STOP using a highchair for your DC? DD2 is pretty small...only 25 lbs. at 2 1/2, so I'm thinking it will be a long time.

happymom
09-21-2010, 12:57 AM
I should've asked this in the original post, but at what age did you STOP using a highchair for your DC? DD2 is pretty small...only 25 lbs. at 2 1/2, so I'm thinking it will be a long time.

Well, in my case it has nothing to do with size. DD decided she wants to sit in a chair and puts up a fight whenever we go near the highchair. I actually posted a thread about this the other day.

She sits in the highchair pretty happily for breakfast (maybe cuz she's too hungry to argue) so I think we will get a booster seat AND keep the highchair around for a little while longer. DD is 21 months by the way, and probably abt 25 lbs.

amldaley
09-21-2010, 06:01 AM
DD is 26 months old.

We start her off in the Tripp Trappe.

On good nights she eats and gets down.

On not so good nights, she has to get down and run around, sit in our chairs then on my lap. But she usually will go back to her chair for fruit (dessert).

The last couple of weeks she has been working on the shoulders straps on the harness. Last night she climbed in to the TT herself (I was "spotting" her) and she insisted on not wearing the shoulder straps. I don't feel super good about that, but I think it is still safer than letting her stand on a dining chair, which is her first choice!

TwinFoxes
09-21-2010, 06:15 AM
At some point the girls wanted to sit in their boosters instead of their highchairs, and we never looked back. I think they were about 21 months (18 adjusted). They have to sit in boosters or they'd be too short to reach the table. Sitting on my lap is not an option.

They are also small. 23 pounds at 27 months.

I thought I'd be sad to see them out of their high chairs but truth is they were kind of a pain. The boosters are better.

jgenie
09-21-2010, 06:19 AM
DS1 is 32 months old and still likes his high chair. Our kitchen chairs are bar height so I'm glad he's still ok in the highchair. We have a booster seat attached to one of the extra chairs but he prefers the high chair.

WatchingThemGrow
09-21-2010, 06:24 AM
We use buckles for eating for a looong time. works well for us. We've historically moved them out of the hc at 21m, into a Stokke chair b/c we needed the hc to rest the baby in (18m apart, so around 3m) while we ate. With DS2 (our 3rd), it will be interesting to see how long he stays. I ordered a new cover for our PP Prima diner b/c it was yucky and I wanted to encourage us to keep him in the hc for as long as possible.

Since it has been in heavy use in our kitchen (center of our home) daily for 4.5 years, it will be a sad day when it is gone.

MoJo
09-21-2010, 06:37 AM
We stopped when Jelly Bean was 2, both because she was happier out of it and b/c neither DH nor I bothered with it when Ha was born, and after a couple of weeks of not using it, she definitely doesn't want to. It was just easier not to lift her in, and she stopped dropping food, too.

Jelly Bean just sits on adult furniture now (at 27 months), no booster. But she's 85% or more for height and weight.

maestramommy
09-21-2010, 06:40 AM
With the short exception of this wooden highchair from the ancient days, we've only ever used boosters. We use them until the tray doesn't fit, then we use them at the table. Right now we have two, the FP one, and the Safety 1st one. They work great! And Dora is sitting on one of those rubber boosters.

Highchairs just take up too much room.

Momof3Labs
09-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Both boys moved out of the high chairs into the Kinderzeats (Tripp Trapps) pushed up to the real table by 16-18 months. They wanted to be at the table with us by then; it had nothing to do with size.

JBaxter
09-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Jack is using Nathan's kinderzeat. I think Nathan used it till he was 5 ( at least) I plan to have Jack in it as long as he fits.

ncat
09-21-2010, 06:44 AM
DD (very tall and almost 6) is just starting to sit in the normal dining chairs so DS (22 months) can use the tripp trapp. DD was in the healthy care booster until she was 4 and we bought the tripp trapp.

We got rid of the traditional highchair when DD was 1 year. DS used the booster from 5 months on and now the tripp trapp.

klwa
09-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Well, in my case it has nothing to do with size. DD decided she wants to sit in a chair and puts up a fight whenever we go near the highchair.

:yeahthat:
DD sits in a chair at the table, with a booster, and has since she was 20-ish months old. I think she's about 28 pounds, and not tall, so we could easily be using the high chair. (Had been using it without the tray, pushed up to the table for a month or two before moving her to a chair.)

hillview
09-21-2010, 06:57 AM
18 months with DS2 and went to a tripp trapp. 2 years old and went to a chair (and later a tripp trapp) with DS1.
/hillary

tny915
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
DD1 still sits in her Kinderzeat and is almost 7yo. DD2 started sitting in her own Tripp Trapp at about 18 months and will probably sit in it till she's 6-7 as well.

AnnieW625
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
DD1 was 2/1/2. I like having a tray until they can eat pretty independently so I plan to use it for about the same amount of time with DD2. We got a Tripp Trapp when she was 3 and it has worked out just fine. For the short time in between we used the FP Healthy Care booster. I do like having the seat pad for the Tripp Trapp (a friend gave it to me) though incase DD2 hates the high chair soo much that we have to use the Tripp Trapp sooner.

KrisM
09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
We never had a regular high chair, just boosters. But, we got rid of the tray for the booster and they sat at the table with us right around age 1. Shortly after turning 2, they moved to Cooshie boosters and that's what DS2 is in now. DD sometimes sits on hers still, but seems to prefer her knees.

newg
09-21-2010, 02:24 PM
yes, we still use ours. Sooo much easier to keep her dinner/mess contained. Plus it keeps her in her chair, focused on eating.....she'd be all over the place if she sat in just a booster. We'll only be doing it six months or less though......once DD2 is ready for solids she'll get the hairchair and DD1 will sit at the table with us.

codex57
09-21-2010, 02:28 PM
DS is almost 3 and still uses the high chair. He can sit at the counter on one of the bar chairs like us, but he's still a messy eater so it's easier to just stick him in his high chair.

PAfirsttimemom
09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
We have the Chicco Polly, and a few months ago (DS2 just turned 2) we stopped using the high chair tray and began pushing the chair up to the table. It's been so nice not having to clean up the tray, and it was so cute at first to see all of us sitting at the table together. (Our baby is growing up. Sniff, sniff.) I think DS2 likes being there with us, too.

We also recently stopped using the top harness and now just use the 3-point waist belt like you would in a restaurant high chair. It's working great. When we eat out on our deck, DS2 sits in a Fisher Price booster and does fine with that, too.

swissair81
09-21-2010, 03:40 PM
DS is 23 months and stopped using the highchair about a month ago. He is at the stage where he has to do everything just like his big sisters. Weightwise, he's 24 lbs. Both he and my 3.5 yo dd use FP healthy care boosters. DS uses the tray & DD sits up to the table. When we eat in the dining room during holidays & stuff, I still use the highchair.

elephantmeg
09-21-2010, 06:30 PM
we only ever used fisher price healthy care boosters and when they got old enough to eat off a plate 18-22 mos or so we judt pulled them up to the table to eat. We don't nec use the seatbelt anymore either-occasionally with DD never with DS