PDA

View Full Version : Question about vulva(warning really really TMI)

Myira
09-20-2010, 11:41 PM
I have recently noticed that my labia majora look wrinkled and shriveled. I am sure I did not remember it like this, but I must say I had not really looked down there in a long time. I did so because I shaved almost completely yesterday and now I can have a clear look.

I looked again today and now I am really freaking out. A thousand things come to mind like could I have an infection/STD(how could I???), the most troubling is vaginal atrophy and menopause/peri-menopause.

I tried googling this and came across something that caught my attention, a reference to the fact that after repeated childbearing, the labia majora become less prominent, and in older women begin to shrivel.

Sorry this is such a TMI post. What should I do? See a derm or see my OB?

niccig
09-20-2010, 11:44 PM
I know they look different in everyone, and as we age, it all ages. I asked a similar question to my DR. I would just mention it at your next annual exam, but I wouldn't worry about it

Myira
09-21-2010, 12:24 AM
niccig, thanks for the reply. So what was your doctor's reply?

I don't know why I am getting convinced this is a sign of menopause. Don't think I can get any peace of mind until I see a doctor. We were going to TTC #2, and now this comes up....

niccig
09-21-2010, 12:33 AM
niccig, thanks for the reply. So what was your doctor's reply?

Her reply "Everything was fine and there's quite a variation of what is considered normal appearance." Like you, I wondered what was wrong. Remember that pregnancy changes many things physically - my feet are a size bigger.

I think you might be overly worrying about TTC - maybe it is worth a trip to the Dr. if it puts your mind at ease.

JenaW
09-21-2010, 08:32 AM
I am an OBGYN PA and I can reassure you that labias come in all shapes and sizes. I am not sure exactly what causes one woman's to become more "loose" or "shriveled" but as long as there are no lesions (genital warts, herpes), signs of infection (redness, hard or indurated areas), or signs of a dermatologic condition (scaliness, shiny patches, discolorations or color streaks) pretty much anything goes. I see some that have a lot of redundant tissue that require a fair amount of separation to insert the speculum, and others that barely touch or close in the middle. I used to think it may become more prominent in women who have had multiple children, but I have seen it in both multips and women with only one or even no pregnancy's, and have several grand multips (women who have delivered more than 6-8 times) who have no evidence of larger labias. It does not appear to have anything to do with body size either. Obese women can have small labias, and some of my super skinny teen moms can have lots of labial tissue. As for appearing wrinkled, it could just be more noticeable since you have recently shaved everything off. I admittedly do not see a LOT of post-menopausal patients, but in the few I have seen, the vaginal atrophy is mainly limited to the vaginal area, and not the surrounding labial tissue. As with any medical issue, you should never feel bad calling your doctor for reassurance. I obviously can not provide a diagnosis over the internet. but from what you are describing, it does not seem like a major cause for concern.

HTH!

J

Gracemom
09-21-2010, 09:37 AM
I am an OBGYN PA and I can reassure you that labias come in all shapes and sizes. I am not sure exactly what causes one woman's to become more "loose" or "shriveled" but as long as there are no lesions (genital warts, herpes), signs of infection (redness, hard or indurated areas), or signs of a dermatologic condition (scaliness, shiny patches, discolorations or color streaks) pretty much anything goes. I see some that have a lot of redundant tissue that require a fair amount of separation to insert the speculum, and others that barely touch or close in the middle. I used to think it may become more prominent in women who have had multiple children, but I have seen it in both multips and women with only one or even no pregnancy's, and have several grand multips (women who have delivered more than 6-8 times) who have no evidence of larger labias. It does not appear to have anything to do with body size either. Obese women can have small labias, and some of my super skinny teen moms can have lots of labial tissue. As for appearing wrinkled, it could just be more noticeable since you have recently shaved everything off. I admittedly do not see a LOT of post-menopausal patients, but in the few I have seen, the vaginal atrophy is mainly limited to the vaginal area, and not the surrounding labial tissue. As with any medical issue, you should never feel bad calling your doctor for reassurance. I obviously can not provide a diagnosis over the internet. but from what you are describing, it does not seem like a major cause for concern.

HTH!

J

That was very informative! Thanks for taking the time to write that out.

Myira
10-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I finally did see my doc about this. Turns out everything is normal which is good news, and I specifically asked if this was a symptom of menopause and he said you are too young for that, but he put it this way, "sometimes its just a matter of having too many birthdays" :(
Hate to admit and I know I am being vain, but it is really hitting me that I am 34 now and I have changes to show for it. Feel like I am not ready for aging so soon...

TwinFoxes
10-06-2010, 02:19 PM
When I lived in LA there were ads for plastic surgeons that advertised "vaginal rejuvenation". So you're not the only one who has this issue, and if you want, apparently there's something that can be done about it. Personally, I'd let nature take it's course rather than have surgery!

fortato
10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
It's like asking my husband to have a ball lift.... they're supposed to look nasty...
Do they call it "crow's feet cooter"? Do you get botox?

Labial rejuvenation... what the hell?

MissyAg94
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
It's like asking my husband to have a ball lift.... they're supposed to look nasty...
Do they call it "crow's feet cooter"? Do you get botox?

Labial rejuvenation... what the hell?

:hysterical:

BillK
10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I just don't even know where to begin.....plastic surgery for cooters. Next thing you know we'll be bleaching our anuses! ;)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I just don't even know where to begin.....plastic surgery for cooters. Next thing you know we'll be bleaching our anuses! ;)

Bill if you are seriously considering this I highly rec that you see a professional. First time anal bleaching really dangerous in the wrong hands.

cindys
10-06-2010, 06:50 PM
"I just don't even know where to begin.....plastic surgery for cooters. Next thing you know we'll be bleaching our anuses! ;)"

You guys are killing me..between this and the "plumper" thread! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 23mos

JBaxter
10-06-2010, 06:52 PM

you mean you dont?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_bleaching

http://www.bleachbum.com/

fortato
10-06-2010, 06:54 PM
HEY. Listen. Anal bleaching is just another step in my spa day routine.
The Brazilian wax isn't complete without a little Cloroxed Colon.

Jo..
10-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I had an OB in NY who said I might want to consider vaginoplasty. :ROTFLMAO:

This was when I was in my EARLY 20s, and I complained that I felt "tugging" down there when DH used a condomn. He said he could trim up the labia and reduce the tugging. The funny thing is, my insurance at the time would have covered it, too.

I considered it then realized I didn't want anyone cutting off parts of my cooter.

BillK
10-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Bill if you are seriously considering this I highly rec that you see a professional. First time anal bleaching really dangerous in the wrong hands.

Voice of experience? :o

Tondi G
10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
thanks for the laughs folks! I needed that! :)

Jo..
10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7301299/

JBaxter
10-06-2010, 09:31 PM

I love you JO I just peed my pants

BillK
10-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Too funny! Love it!

marie
10-06-2010, 09:42 PM

JMS
10-06-2010, 09:42 PM

OMG.. did you make that?? I'm a bit slow on the uptake tonight but after seeing the view count and when it was created and the the fact that it was spot on with this thread, I was able to put 2 and 2 and 2 together... so frickin funny :)

Penny's Pappa
10-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Wow...

Just...wow...:hysterical:

ETA: Jo, you owe me a keyboard, 'cause I just spit out my Mt. Dew all over it!

♥ms.pacman♥
10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I love you JO I just peed my pants

:yeahthat:
:hysterical: :hysterical: :bighand: OK that was hilarious!!

speaking of "cooter plastic surgery" (lol!) i once saw a tv show i think called Beverly Hills Extreme Makeover or something. the episode i watched featured a husband and wife (in their 20s) that each wanted to get surgery on their genital areas. the woman was very very bothered that her labia were "asymetrical", so she wanted surgery to correct it. the man was bothered that his balls hung weird or were lopsided or something, so he wanted surgery for that. They both went on and on about how their sex life and therefore the rest of their married life (and their lives in general) was so negatively affected because of these "imperfections". :rolleye0014: Um, okay. I just wondered that if they're that concerned over something that almost no one sees, how many surgeries they will have to have in the upcoming years for everything else that comes along with aging or whatever.

WolfpackMom
10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
DH and I are laughing hysterically here....lovely xtranormal!

mmommy
10-06-2010, 10:08 PM
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
Thanks! This was a LONG day, and I needed that!

fortato
10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
I love you Jo.

And the Bell's Palsy thing... Am I bad for giggling a little?

Myira
10-06-2010, 11:30 PM
thanks for the laughs folks! I needed that! :)
:yeahthat: :hysterical:

wimama
10-07-2010, 12:44 AM

OMG! You all are hilarious! :hysterical:

Momit
10-07-2010, 05:22 AM
When I lived in LA there were ads for plastic surgeons that advertised "vaginal rejuvenation".

:rotflmao:I love California - you can get plastic surgery on anything!

boogiemomz
10-07-2010, 08:37 AM
"I am thinking about getting laser hair removal too, so I can monitor the status of my labia more effectively."

BillK
10-07-2010, 08:53 AM
We REALLY need a "Classic Thread" forum where threads like this can be moved to and saved indefinitely.

I nominate this one - and Susan's thread from years ago (if it's still around) - about all the contractors seeing her naked when she was pregnant - as the first two inductees. :)

JBaxter
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
We REALLY need a "Classic Thread" forum where threads like this can be moved to and saved indefinitely.

I nominate this one - and Susan's thread from years ago (if it's still around) - about all the contractors seeing her naked when she was pregnant - as the first two inductees. :)
her duct tape ones were classic also

Jo..
10-07-2010, 09:27 AM
And the one where her husband wanted to give away all her ratty old bras.

JMS
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
And the one where her husband wanted a flat screen TV! And wasn't there another one with a fort made of diaper box walls? I LOVE ALL THOSE PICTURES :)

BillK
10-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Yea we really almost need a sub-forum dedicated to all of Susan's funny stuff! :)

g-mama
10-07-2010, 11:50 AM

OMG, this is hysterical!!! I can't wait til my dh is home - and the kids are asleep - so I can show it to him. Thanks for a good laugh, Jo!!

Bens Momma
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
With all due respect to OP, I can't even begin to tell you how hard I've laughed at the replies to this thread!! Jo, your movie is a classic :hysterical::hysterical::applause:!