PDA

View Full Version : FLYLady's Super Fling Boogie: The bedroom

MoJo
09-21-2010, 07:13 AM
FLYLady just started a 5-week long Super Fling Boogie to declutter and clean up the whole house in time to decorate for the holidays. This time is different than the last one I participated because she's focusing on one thing each day.

This week is the bedroom. Yesterday was the dresser; today is the nightstand.

I really need this. I didn't do yesterday's mission yet. . . but on top of my dresser is a large wicker chest with clean sheets. :bag Because we ran out of room to keep it on the floor when we put the bassinet and swing in the bedroom. But I need a different place!

Anyone want to join me?

WatchingThemGrow
09-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Well, I'll do today.. I can tackle two nightstands. oh wait, does it need to be all 4 nightstands(kids' too)?

Why does FL stress me out? I feel like the day is going to end and I'm not going to have gotten started on my task.

MoJo
09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm just doing my room. . . so two nightstands, one of which is mine and not too bad. The other is covered with stuff to eBay, and clearly that stuff doesn't belong in the bedroom. But I really want to do yesterday's mission too. . . I didn't do it yesterday because I was out of the house with the girls all morning, and didn't have the physical strength left at the end of the day to do that particular project.

It's not supposed to be stressful. That's why she always says "You're not behind!"

This is a way to pick just one extra thing to do, and if you do that regularly, it will make a big difference.

KrisM
09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
What do you do?

MoJo
09-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Here's a link to the page on her site that describes the first two missions: http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlightPlan_Missions.asp

Melaine
09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
That sounds cool, I'm going to check it out.

hillview
09-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Checking it out!
/hillary

lmwbasye
09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Oho...I think I'm going to try this.

TFS!

WolfpackMom
09-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm in!

KrisM
09-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Okay, I did yesterday's and todays. I had a big headstart with my recent cleaning weekend, which was really helpful. But, I have a drawer in my nightstand that was crammed full and now it's pretty much empty :).

katydid1971
09-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks, I'm going to try this :)

jgenie
09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm in!!

MoJo
09-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Yay, Kris!

Mine aren't quite done yet, but I'm very happy to say the eBay stuff is all moved and the wicker chest is no longer on the dresser. I think they could be done if I could get another five minutes to work on them, but sadly, I don't think that will happen 'til tomorrow.

I also got the maternity clothes out of my closet. I'm happy about that, but that kind of thing is why the main project didn't get done and why I admit to the label "Sidetracked Home Executive!"

niccig
09-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Why does FL stress me out? I feel like the day is going to end and I'm not going to have gotten started on my task.

I get stressed too - I think I like choosing when I'll do something. I like motivated moms as I look at the week and I choose which days to do something if it fits better with my schedule.

I should try fly lady again and not let it worry if I fall behind, but I think it's the Type A in me that wants to not fail. Silly I know.

Our bedroom is a mess....I really should give this a try...

cckwmh
09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
I am in the middle of emptying my overstuffed basement - dividing into keep, sell, donate, recycle, trash. my goal is to be done by saturday. ( I keep picturing neatly organized storage space, which a small workshop area for DH - it keeps me going). i am going to attempt fly lady, too, but it may mean doing 2 things a day next week to get caught up. I am also working on my paper work form this weeks challenge. i am biting off more than I can chew!!

MoJo
09-22-2010, 07:08 AM
A new day, a new mission! You can see it on my original link, but I'm reposting it here: http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlightPlan_Missions.asp

This one is easy for me because I've worked off and on all summer removing things that don't belong in the bedroom. But I have NO IDEA why there's a bottle of windshield de-icer in there. :bag That has to go!

I'm going to spend my time back on my closet, which is the project I really want and need to do. Even if there is a closet day, that project is going to take me more than one day. Now that I can get to the closet, and can get to the full-length mirror, I need to try things on to see what I can wear (not much--I'm in that awkward maternity clothes are too big/prepregnancy clothes are too small stage) and remove the things that I can't wear.

KrisM
09-22-2010, 07:45 AM
I can do the bedroom today and do pretty well, I think. I know there are kids things in there that don't belong.

sunshine873
09-22-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm so glad to see this. I've been thinking about becoming a Flybaby again and this is just the challenge I need! I'm on my way to the site now to see what my goals for the day will be. :) Thanks!

MoJo
09-23-2010, 06:52 AM
Today's mission is a panty raid! http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlightPlan_Missions.asp

I think I threw away my last bad pair Monday. This seems to be a great excuse to pull out the new ones I bought several months ago that I was saving for . . .now!

I actually need to remove the things that are NOT clothing from my drawer. . . it's been convenient to put various things I didn't want Jelly Bean getting ahold of in the top drawer, but it's time to reclaim that space.

wimama
09-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm in.

I really want to get our house in order before the holidays! I am a Flylady dropout, but I am just going to mainly focus on decluttering right now. Babysteps!

MoJo
09-24-2010, 06:58 AM
I think this 15 minute clothes purge is the last mission of the week and the end of the bedroom challenges:
http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlightPlan_Missions.asp

I mentioned earlier that my problem is that I DON'T know what fits, and I'm certainly not giving away clothes just because they don't fit me at this three months post-partum stage. I brought up pre-pregnancy clothes from the basement, but really didn't feel like trying them on in the 90 degree heat this week. . . so I only tried on a few dress outfits before work yesterday. Most of them are going in my "spring" bag, because they don't look good yet even if I can get into them, and in another couple of weeks it should be too cool to wear them anyway.

I have better luck in general with keeping a donation bag in the closet, and then tossing anything that's just not comfortable or attractive in there when I reject something I've tried on, but that doesn't apply to this in between stage.

My dresser and nightstand have stayed de-cluttered, and I HAVE purged my closet of maternity clothes. I'm going to count that as progress enough for one week! How about you?

hellokitty
09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
I am a flylady flunkie. :bag Her incessant emails make my head want to explode.

KrisM
09-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I am a flylady flunkie. :bag Her incessant emails make my head want to explode.

I agree. I've tried it twice with the emails and can't handle it. I'm doing well with the link to the daily challenge though. I'll do my closet today and I am going to make DH do his this weekend. His side is way worse than mine!

I had much better luck with either Motivated Moms or Sidetracked Home Executive. MM is tough for me because it's a long list of things to do. I much more preferred the system in SHE book and need to get that going again.

hellokitty
09-24-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree. I've tried it twice with the emails and can't handle it. I'm doing well with the link to the daily challenge though. I'll do my closet today and I am going to make DH do his this weekend. His side is way worse than mine!

I had much better luck with either Motivated Moms or Sidetracked Home Executive. MM is tough for me because it's a long list of things to do. I much more preferred the system in SHE book and need to get that going again.

I am more of a list person too. I tried motivated moms, but some of the things on the list didn't apply to me. I just basically need to make my own list and use that.

KrisM
09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I am more of a list person too. I tried motivated moms, but some of the things on the list didn't apply to me. I just basically need to make my own list and use that.

Have you read Sidetracked Home Executive? It's basically the same thing, but they have you set up index cards in a box. You write a cleaning task on each card and they're color coded by frequency - daily, weekly, biweekly, monthly, quarterly, etc. Then you use tabs with the days of the week and the months and set the cards in their spots based on when you'll do them. When you complete the task, you move the card to the next place (next day, week, etc) and wait for it to come up again.

I liked it because I like crossing things off a list and this worked. Plus, I could pretty well keep up and I remembered things like flipping the mattress or making dentist appointments. But, after DD was born, I got off track and never got back on again. I should get it out again.

KrisM
09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
On our bed are 2 piles of clothes - mine and DH's. I have 4 or 5 things I want to try on to be sure, but the rest of mine will be packed up later today. DH said he'd go through what I pulled out by the end of the weekend. I think I pulled 2/3 of his stuff!

I know I was supposed to bag it right away, but our closet isn't very big and 2 kids were in helping, so it was easier to just get it out and worry about bagging it up later today.

I am proud of myself for getting rid of old college sweatshirts that I never wear but have held onto. I had 4 from Michigan Tech and will keep 1. I do wear it at times, so it makes sense to keep 1 around.

MoJo
09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
I admit I too stopped reading most of the FLYLady emails a long time ago. But DH and I just had a serious conversation about decluttering last week, so when I noticed the Super Fling Boogie coming up, I decided to focus on that. I've been successful with that in the past, but not since having kids. Posting here is helping me actually do each thing.

And, I decided I could work on my clothes for 15 minutes today, even if I'm not doing it the way she suggests this time.

WolfpackMom
09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Ive kept up so far this week, I just keep checking the site I dont mess with the emails etc. I have no clue when I will have time today for the clothes task though, it will take me longer than 15. Hopefully tomorrow!

KrisM
09-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Ive kept up so far this week, I just keep checking the site I dont mess with the emails etc. I have no clue when I will have time today for the clothes task though, it will take me longer than 15. Hopefully tomorrow!

Do as much as you can in 15 minutes, rather than skipping it all together. Even if that's only 1/4 of the time you need total, at least it's then 25% done!

KrisM
09-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Okay, it took me more than 15 minutes for sure, but I think I just got rid of 50% of my clothes! I thought I wouldn't have much, but it was a lot. I have 4 kitchen size garbage bags full.

I am debating between 2 winter coats. I don't wear either often, but both are better for things like sledding than my everyday coat. I'll pick one and get rid of one. Then, I am done and I just have DH's to do.

MoJo
09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
:bighand: Kris! I'm impressed!

I haven't gotten to my 15 minutes yet, but Jelly Bean just started the 2nd half of her nap, and I think Ha is nursing to sleep as I type.

KrisM
09-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Was there not one for yesterday or today? I have more time since it's the weekend and I'm ready to go, but nothing...

DH worked on his pile of clothes last night.

He also made progress in the workshop room in the basement. For the first time in years, I can walk into it! I told him to pull out anything that is just mine and now I have 2 bins to go through. I am sure 90% will leave, since they've been there for 5 years.

MoJo
09-26-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm pretty sure FLYLady just runs her missions M-F, because Saturday is "Family Fun Day" and Sunday is "Renew Your Spirit Day." We could make up our own missions, I suppose. . . . but I really still need to work on my closet if I get a chance. My DH called with extra things he wanted done right after I made my last post Friday, and so I didn't even start Friday's mission.

I'm thinking closet shelves & under the bed are two additional areas to work on.

I thought I'd start a new thread for tomorrow, since the FLYLady missions won't be in the bedroom this week.

KrisM
09-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Ah. I'll remember that for next week. I did the closet shelves recently. They're full, but organized and I know what's there. Under the bed would be a good one to add. And DH still has to finish his clothes and I said I'd pack them up for him.

A new thread sound great.

niccig
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
You've all done so well with this. I haven't :bag I'm hoping next week I can make a start on doing some of this, and catch up on the bedroom. Our room really needs some attention.