PDA

View Full Version : Sleep aids?

DietCokeLover
09-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Are there any natural sleep aids appropriate for an almost 3 year old? Can melatonin be given? DS is consistently waking before 5 or 5:30 and I am dying!

hillview
09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Welcome to my club. They boys often wake before 6 am and so far I have found nothing that works well.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

TwoBees
09-21-2010, 09:10 AM
What about Badger Balm Night-Night Balm (http://www.badgerbalm.com/pc-425-2-night-night-balm.aspx)? I use this myself occasionally. It's really relaxing. Also, have you tried a toddler alarm clock?

ETA: How was the interview?

carolinamama
09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I will be following this closely as I sit here VERY tired because of my very early rising DS2. We haven't found anything that helps. And it's sad when you get excited that your child slept until 6 am since that's sleeping in for him. Argh

DietCokeLover
09-21-2010, 09:20 AM
What about Badger Balm Night-Night Balm (http://www.badgerbalm.com/pc-425-2-night-night-balm.aspx)? I use this myself occasionally. It's really relaxing. Also, have you tried a toddler alarm clock?

ETA: How was the interview?

I've never seen the night night balm. I may look into that.

I honestly don't think my dc are obedient enough to abide by the toddler clock. They are both very strong willed and short of tying them down, will get out of bed when they want.

The interview was a joke. They obviously had not really looked at my resume as I am a child therapist and the position was for someone to work with seriously mentally ill adults. I was in and out within two minutes!

DietCokeLover
09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
I will be following this closely as I sit here VERY tired because of my very early rising DS2. We haven't found anything that helps. And it's sad when you get excited that your child slept until 6 am since that's sleeping in for him. Argh

I am so with you. I'd kiss a pig if I could sleep til 6!!! :ROTFLMAO:

TwoBees
09-21-2010, 09:23 AM
The interview was a joke. They obviously had not really looked at my resume as I am a child therapist and the position was for someone to work with seriously mentally ill adults. I was in and out within two minutes!

I just saw your update...ugh! Why don't people pay attention? Ridiculous of them to waste your time. :grouphug: I hope the week gets better for oyu.

wolverine2
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't think there's anything you can do... one of mine is like that too. I'm dreading the time change because it means he'll be waking up at 4:30, not 5:30. And I used to love the fall time change so I could sleep in an hour!

Are they old enough to go play something by themselves when they get up? I forbid DS1 to come into my room before 6am, but sometimes if he's up before 6, he goes and plays for a while (or just lays on the couch waiting for the clock to turn so he can run in and tell me it says 6). I guess yours isn't old enough to do that yet... but at least you have that to look forward to!

For now, try to go to bed early... so sorry!

Gena
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Are there any natural sleep aids appropriate for an almost 3 year old? Can melatonin be given? DS is consistently waking before 5 or 5:30 and I am dying!

I do know people who use a small dose of melatonin at that age, but the children are not neurotypical. Also melatonin helps you fall asleep, but does not keep you asleep. So if the problem is early waking, I don't think melatonin will help.

Is the problem that he is waking up and therefore not getting enough sleep or that he is waking up and wanting to be active & start the day? Can you teach him to stay in bed until a certain time or until you come get him? For example, the Teach Me Time (http://www.amazon.com/American-Innovative-Teach-Talking-Nightlight/dp/B0019IHE8I)clock changes colors so the child knows when it is OK to get up. Would something like that help?

ETA: Sorry! I missed where you posted above that you didn't think a clock would work. Still, it might be worth a try to see.

Gracemom
09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
I do know people who use a small dose of melatonin at that age, but the children are not neurotypical. Also melatonin helps you fall asleep, but does not keep you asleep. So if the problem is early waking, I don't think melatonin will help.

Is the problem that he is waking up and therefore not getting enough sleep or that he is waking up and wanting to be active & start the day? Can you teach him to stay in bed until a certain time or until you come get him? For example, the Teach Me Time (http://www.amazon.com/American-Innovative-Teach-Talking-Nightlight/dp/B0019IHE8I)clock changes colors so the child knows when it is OK to get up. Would something like that help?

The clock really does help. For some reason they "listen" to the clock even when they don't listen to their parents! We got one for my son, who often wakes at 5:30. He's now sleeping until 6:45, which is when I have to get my DD up for school anyway. I feel like a new woman!

TwoBees
09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
I honestly don't think my dc are obedient enough to abide by the toddler clock. They are both very strong willed and short of tying them down, will get out of bed when they want.

Another thought...if you told them it was okay to get out of bed but they had to stay in their rooms and play until 7, would they be diciplined enough to do something like that?

fauve01
09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
OP, you did not say if your DC is still napping. if so, it seems like it is time to drop the nap.

one thing we did when dd was getting up too early was put a lightlight on a timer. when the light came on it was OK for her to come out of her room. if she woke before the light switched on she had to stay in her room and be quiet.

hth,
anne + dd 10-03

elephantmeg
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
the clock is working for us and I really didn't think it would! We also have a doorknob cover on the inside of their door so they can't get out..

Tondi G
09-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I know someone who uses melatonin in their 5 year old but she has sensory issues and other psychological stuff going on and has a really hard time winding down at night. Melatonin helps you fall asleep but it doesn't really help you sleep longer or help you stay asleep. Some kids are just early birds. What time does your child go to bed at night?

m448
09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
We've used calls forte (there's a kid's dose on the label) as well as herbs for kids Valerian super calm for nights that are harder than most. Also every night they get some liquid cal/mag which is great as theg head into the growing pains stage, good for their teeth and lets them rest soundly.