PDA

View Full Version : losing control

Carrots
09-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I feel like I am unraveling.

I missed DD K's 4-month appointment with her pediatrician this morning. DD A was scheduled for her flu shot too.

I can't keep up with the housework, with organizing the family clothing/toys. I am so overwhelmed that all I do is sit here and look at everything that needs to be done and feel overwhelmed, etc. I can't get out of my own way. :crying::hopmad::nodno:

I just needed to get that out.

edurnemk
09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry, I don't have much advice to offer, except to take it a step at a time. It certainly sounds like you need some time to yourself to recover. Is there any way you can get some extra help (family, friends, babysitter, etc) for a few days, so you can rest and then try to organize a little at a time?

elliput
09-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Just a bit of an arm chair diagnosis here- have you considered talking to your doctor about depression?
:hug::hug::hug:

MomToOne
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Your baby is way too little to be beating yourself up so bad! Moms of more then one will chime in but I think you need to allow yourself a little more time to adjust to your new addition.

MamaMolly
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I find it helpful to scale back my goals and do little bits of things at a time. It is really easy to get overwhelmed with all you have on your plate!

ThreeofUs
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
It's really hard to be a mom. I have been there (actually am often there) with you.

And then I remind myself that it's only going to last for a little while, and I do what little I can. The kids have to be my priority, so they get taken care of/read to/played with first. I figure I just don't care if the house is a mess around us. I'll clean it up next year, lol.

That said, ITA that depression can look like this. You might want to get some help through this rough patch.

Smillow
09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Your baby is way too little to be beating yourself up so bad! Moms of more then one will chime in but I think you need to allow yourself a little more time to adjust to your new addition.

:yeahthat: My DS is 19 months this week & I am just now feeling like I have some control over my day/life! And that is with just one kid! :grouphug:

TonFirst
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Bird by bird.

HonoluluMom
09-21-2010, 01:01 PM
You have a toddler and an infant - please cut yourself some slack! If you can't find someone to help out with the housework or organizing, just let it wait until you have a bit more breathing room.

elektra
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
I am right there with you. I have completely blanked on some things lately, including completely forgetting to go to a birthday party I had rsvp'd to.
My DH stepped up over the weekend and cleaned out my office though. It really helped me out.

MoJo
09-21-2010, 01:17 PM
:grouphug: It's hard having two, and has to be MUCH more stressful with a premie, even though you have been home for a while. Your DD#2 was born the week before mine, but mine is just now starting to STTN, and I'm just now starting to make progress on all the stuff I let slide during the pregnancy & initial time post-partum. Developmentally, though, I'm guessing your DD#2 is closer to two months than four, and two months is a much harder time than four!

Would a reminder that pops up on your computer or rings your cell help avoid missed appointments? My DH uses those to keep him on track & where he's supposed to be.

One thing at a time on the house organization. The most important thing is to take care of yourself & your beautiful girls.

Carrots
09-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Just a bit of an arm chair diagnosis here- have you considered talking to your doctor about depression?

It is interesting that you say that. I do take medication for depression, a low dose, but it may be time to adjust my dosage. It is funny how I couldn't see it, but now that I have taken a step back and reevaluated (and noticed I used the word "unraveled"), I can see that may be part of my problem.

The good news is that I called my mom and she came over to help me. I rearranged DD A's room and packed up all her stuffed animals that she doesn't use. I organized all her books and cleaned out her closet. I am feeling better now. But I still have miles to go. I am glad mom is here. :)

Thanks for all your responses and support!

DebbieJ
09-21-2010, 03:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I have PPD and this was me.

alexsmommy
09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
It is interesting that you say that. I do take medication for depression, a low dose, but it may be time to adjust my dosage. It is funny how I couldn't see it, but now that I have taken a step back and reevaluated (and noticed I used the word "unraveled"), I can see that may be part of my problem.

The good news is that I called my mom and she came over to help me. I rearranged DD A's room and packed up all her stuffed animals that she doesn't use. I organized all her books and cleaned out her closet. I am feeling better now. But I still have miles to go. I am glad mom is here. :)

Thanks for all your responses and support!

PPD and Post-partum anxiety present equally and often "PPD" has aspects of both. That overwhelmed feeling sounds like anxiety. Depending on what you have been prescribed, it may not be covering the anxiety part of things. Is it is something that tends to cover both (ie Zoloft) it might be time to go up in dosage. I am thrilled PPD has gotten so much attention in our country (finally), but we need to get the word out that just as many women present with symptoms more associated with anxiety: overwhelmed, obsessive thoughts, can't sleep, can't slow their mind down, panic, dread etc.
Good luck!

elephantmeg
09-23-2010, 10:55 AM
yeah for mom! hang in there!