PDA

View Full Version : Car seat not too hard to get out of

leeza
09-21-2010, 02:46 PM
My 5yo is in his Radian, which still fits well, however he has a hard time getting the bottom clasp undone. I have two other little ones, and it would be a great help to have a carseat that he can get out of without help. We have a booster for field trips, but I'd prefer to have him in a carseat for daily use for safety's sake. Any recommendations?

thanks!
Leeza

infocrazy
09-21-2010, 03:05 PM
DS1 was having this problem with his MA buckle until I watched him trying. He was putting his thumbs under the buckle and trying to push with his index fingers but he wasn't getting the necessary force. I told him to push with his thumbs and he got it right away. It is heaven now...:)

leeza
09-22-2010, 11:12 AM
That's a great suggestion - I did check his finger placement, and he does use his thumbs correctly. His hands are slightly weaker than average, (we had an OT assessment.) He was able to undo the belt for a couple of weeks about six months ago, and then "couldn't" anymore. I know that means that he is capable, but that it is tough for him, so I'm still in search of a safe carseat whose buckle/clasp is easier to undo.

Any carseat suggestions? We just put him in his booster to make the pickups and dropoffs easier for a week or two before I buy something else. I'm pretty busy carting our 5yo and his 3yo and 1yo brothers around, and would really like to have one who can get in and out on his own :)

Help is most appreciated!

Leeza

Joolsplus2
09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe something with a differently angled button would work better, like the Graco Nautilus, the button pushes *down*, rather than *in*, so it might be easier to undo (Every one I try seems sticky, but I'm not sitting in the seat myself, so I don't know what it's like from the kid's perspective!)

hillview
09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
DS1 can get out of the Frontier but not the Radian.
/hillary