PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of a pump and supply 2nd time around

wendibird22
09-21-2010, 08:01 PM
So I have two questions. Anyone know the lifespan of a PISA? I have one that I used with DD1 and now with DD2. It probably got 11mos of weekday use with DD1 (3x's a day) and is now into 4mos of weekday use 3x's a day with DD2. She's 9mos so I anticipate needing it reliably for 3 more months and then tapering from there. I'm yielding less and less as the months go on and wondering of the pump is wearing out. I have replaced membranes.

That leads me to the 2nd question. Assuming the pump is in fine working order, anyone pump less with the 2nd or subsequent kid? With DD1 I had great output. She took 12oz a day and I always managed to pump that and usually some extra. I always had a stash. With DD2 I started out this way but I usually only get 12oz and sometimes (like today) even less. My first session of the day is usually the best and the other 2 yield so much less. If DD2 sleeps most of the night then session 1 is great and I can get my 12oz for the day over the 3 sessions. If she's up a lot (like last night...teething, ear infection) then the first session sucks and then I end up with less than 12oz. She's getting solids 3x's a day but hasn't cut back on EBM intake so I still need that full 12oz. Tonight I pumped after putting her to bed which I have never done before and never had to do with DD1. I hate the thought of having to start doing this regularly.

I exhausted, crazy busy at work, not drinking nearly enough water, so I know that all contributes, but I don't think this was any different than with DD1 and I was such a great milk producer. I'm feeling like my body is starting to let me down.

wendibird22
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Wanted to add that today I tried using a different shield/horn size. I've always sized up but thought maybe things have shrunken a bit and I need to size back down. So I used the size 24 that came with my pump. First session, no problem and output pretty good (DD2 also slept more last night so I was fuller this morning). Second session, blood from my left nipple and output not any better than it's been. So, guessing 24 is too small.

So much for me finding a good reason for less output other than it's me. Somehow that makes me feel bad. If it were the pump or the pump parts than I can easily fix it. But, if it's really me and that I'm just not producing what I used to, well that just seems a bitter pill to swallow, especially for someone who felt like a total milk cow with DD1.

I'm trying to up my water intake and I also started eating oatmeal. I'll also lug the pump home on days that I don't get much at work. I just don't think that adding a daily session at night will be beneficial in the long run since it'll only serve to make my body think baby wants to nurse at 8pm. I don't think adding a 4th session at work would help either as I'm already pumping every 3hrs. I think pumping every 2hrs wouldn't yield any better results.

BabyBearsMom
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM
So much for me finding a good reason for less output other than it's me. Somehow that makes me feel bad. If it were the pump or the pump parts than I can easily fix it. But, if it's really me and that I'm just not producing what I used to, well that just seems a bitter pill to swallow, especially for someone who felt like a total milk cow with DD1.

I'm trying to up my water intake and I also started eating oatmeal. I'll also lug the pump home on days that I don't get much at work. I just don't think that adding a daily session at night will be beneficial in the long run since it'll only serve to make my body think baby wants to nurse at 8pm. I don't think adding a 4th session at work would help either as I'm already pumping every 3hrs. I think pumping every 2hrs wouldn't yield any better results.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Pumping is very hard and you are doing a great thing for your baby. Any amount of breast milk you can provide is a great thing. I am going through the same issues (although this is my first baby), and the longer I am back at work the less milk I produce. I started out making 15 to 17 ounces/day, now I am lucky to get 12. Have you tried Fenugreek? That helps me a lot. I tried to go off of it a few weeks ago and my supply dropped a lot. Pumping a 4th time didn't help me, it just made me feel more stressed (I felt like I was constantly pumping and didn't have time to work). I have tried pumping at night, but I am a terrible producer between 6pm and 12am and only would get an ounce or 2 max. In the end, I decided I was okay with supplementing and giving DD everything I could give her. She is a happy, healthy, beautiful baby, and I know I am doing the best I can for her. Good luck!

chottumommy
09-22-2010, 01:16 PM
At 9 months, I was also producing not more than 12 oz and that seemed to do just fine with DS. The daycare gave him more solids and then I would let him nurse more at home. He didn't eat much for dinner. I stopped pumping at 10 months and would go in the afternoon and nurse him before his nap.

Another thing to try is Mother love milk plus. It worked amazing well for me and my supply would be back up within 24 hours.

And as suggested by pp, don't be hard on yourself. You can supplement one bottle as needed and just acknowledging that might relieve your stress and up your supply.

I thought once I stopped pumping my supply would dip, but it didn't and I'm still nursing DS at 2 years.

wendibird22
09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you both very much for the responses. I have never tried fenugreek or more milk plus. I'll have to look into those.

On days I get 12oz, I'm totally fine with that. That's what DD2 usually takes. It's days like yesterday when I came home with 8oz that unnerve me. Yes, I know I can always supplement and have no problem doing that if I need to, but I never had to with DD1 and we nursed for 21mos. I'm trying to figure out why it would be so different with DD2.

infocrazy
09-22-2010, 02:08 PM
DS1, wouldn't eat baby food so I had to supplement for a month (9 mos) during the day because I couldn't keep up and he exhausted my stash.

DS2, I actually was able to stop pumping early because I had such a good stash for during the day. I kept nursing at nights/weekends although I do start weaning at 1.

DD, I am having a harder time keeping up. I can get it most days but I am struggling like you. I do have a small freezer stash but the starting solids (we JUST did) hasn't seemed to slow her bottle intake.

No advice, but some solidarity!

hillview
09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I had a PIS and used it a lot with DS1 and my sister (WOTH mom) used it for DN and then I used it again for DS2. By DS2 time it was on the cusp of being replaced. I noticed a lot of variance in milk output with DS2 (lower) at first and over the long haul as well. Not sure why. Don't be hard on yourself -- you are doing a great job!
/hillary