PDA

View Full Version : I need good (CHEAP) nail polish

Jo..
09-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I heard Essie is good but can't bite on $8 a bottle.

I am so sick of the cheapies chipping in a day.

I want a GOOD nail polish. I want a BARGAIN.

Is that too much to ask?

nupe
09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
I recommend
a) cruising the clearance bins at Ulta and Beauty Brands for Essie, OPI or CND. Clearance colors are often very close to the current colors, just off by a shade or two.
b) befriending someone who gets the professional discount at nail supply, same brands.

And
a) Of the three brands, I really don't care for the OPI wide brush, but I deal with it for colors I like.
b) I like sticky base coat (by CND) and seche vite top coat, regardless of the three above brands of color
c) I like 2 coats of color

peanut520
09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
regardless of the brand i find the top coat is what will protect the color from chipping. the best top coat i have found is Poshe, not cheap but so worth it! apply a fresh top coat every 3-4 days and your manicure will last for weeks.

Melbel
09-21-2010, 10:17 PM
JCP sometimes has coupons for the beauty department that can be stacked on top of sales, making for a great deal on OPI.

DrSally
09-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Essie is good, as is OPI. I find that TJMax/Homegoods has them on a regular basis for *much* cheaper.

DrSally
09-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Like Nupe, I also use a sticky base coat and seche vite top coat (when I do my nails, that is).

bubbaray
09-21-2010, 10:23 PM
I am an OPI fan, regardless of price. Its worth the money because it lasts longer and therefore you use less.

Twin Mom
09-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Essie is good, as is OPI. I find that TJMax/Homegoods has them on a regular basis for *much* cheaper.

What she said.

brgnmom
09-22-2010, 02:57 AM
I am an OPI fan, regardless of price. Its worth the money because it lasts longer and therefore you use less.

:yeahthat:

sometimes Ulta sells the OPI nail polishes w/ a buy 2, get 1 free promotion, and you can combine it with one of their coupons.

Momit
09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I also like OPI, and as PPs have said you can find good deals at Ulta.

jvs195
09-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I buy OPI when it's on sale at Ulta, Drugstore.com or have coupons for Sephora, beauty.com etc... I also have a beauty store that sells everything Buy one get one 30% off so they come out at $6.80. But they really do last better. I've recently tried the Sally Hansen complete Manicure in a bottle. It often is on sale and there are coupons in paper for CVS. The theory is you don't need base or top coat with it. It seems to last pretty well, but I've only done light colors on my hands and dark on toes (which I never have a problem with lasting)

Jo..
10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I went to ULTA a few days ago and got a couple of bottles of OPI at buy one get one half off. I got 2 bottles for just under $13 after tax. It has lasted better than the cheapies, but not great. Four days later it is chipping. I garden a ton and am lazy about wearing gloves though.

I didn't see the clearance bins but the store was a mess (inventory) and I had a two year old with me GRABBING!

I didn't do a base or top coat and thought I would share a deal. This is what I am planning to do over the next few days.

#1 Slick Deals has a printable $5 off $10 purchase
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=112169&t=2273263

CND Stickey base coat (rec by several of you) is buy 2 get 1 free. ($8.50 each). Trip #1 I buy THREE of these for $17-$5=$12 total before tax ($25.50 value).

Seche Vite (http://search.ulta.com/search?p=R&ts=custom&w=seche%20vite%20top%20coat&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eulta%2ecom%2fulta%2fbrowse% 2fproductDetail%2ejsp%3fskuId%3d6051231%26productI d%3dprod6051231%26navAction%3dpush%26navCount%3d1% 26subdoc%3d165instylebbb2009&rk=1&uid=587859748&method=and&isort=score&catid=cat80070) Dry Fast Top Coat (http://search.ulta.com/search?p=R&ts=custom&w=seche%20vite%20top%20coat&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eulta%2ecom%2fulta%2fbrowse% 2fproductDetail%2ejsp%3fskuId%3d6051231%26productI d%3dprod6051231%26navAction%3dpush%26navCount%3d1% 26subdoc%3d165instylebbb2009&rk=1&uid=587859748&method=and&isort=score&catid=cat80070)also recommended by several of you) is $9.95 and buy 2 get 1 free as well. Trip #2 I will buy THREE of these for $19.90-5= $14.90 before tax. ($29.85 value).

Bingo. I have a year's worth of nail supplies or more for $26.90 (value $55.35).

Thanks for the advice ladies.

Suebell
10-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I went to ULTA a few days ago and got a couple of bottles of OPI at buy one get one half off. I got 2 bottles for just under $13 after tax. It has lasted better than the cheapies, but not great. Four days later it is chipping. I garden a ton and am lazy about wearing gloves though.

I didn't see the clearance bins but the store was a mess (inventory) and I had a two year old with me GRABBING!

I didn't do a base or top coat and thought I would share a deal. This is what I am planning to do over the next few days.

#1 Slick Deals has a printable $5 off $10 purchase
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=112169&t=2273263

CND Stickey base coat (rec by several of you) is buy 2 get 1 free. ($8.50 each). Trip #1 I buy THREE of these for $17-$5=$12 total before tax ($25.50 value).

Seche Vite (http://search.ulta.com/search?p=R&ts=custom&w=seche%20vite%20top%20coat&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eulta%2ecom%2fulta%2fbrowse% 2fproductDetail%2ejsp%3fskuId%3d6051231%26productI d%3dprod6051231%26navAction%3dpush%26navCount%3d1% 26subdoc%3d165instylebbb2009&rk=1&uid=587859748&method=and&isort=score&catid=cat80070) Dry Fast Top Coat (http://search.ulta.com/search?p=R&ts=custom&w=seche%20vite%20top%20coat&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eulta%2ecom%2fulta%2fbrowse% 2fproductDetail%2ejsp%3fskuId%3d6051231%26productI d%3dprod6051231%26navAction%3dpush%26navCount%3d1% 26subdoc%3d165instylebbb2009&rk=1&uid=587859748&method=and&isort=score&catid=cat80070)also recommended by several of you) is $9.95 and buy 2 get 1 free as well. Trip #2 I will buy THREE of these for $19.90-5= $14.90 before tax. ($29.85 value).

Bingo. I have a year's worth of nail supplies or more for $26.90 (value $55.35).

Thanks for the advice ladies.

you rawk! I'll be copying you & hit Ulta soon.

calebsmama03
10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Like Nupe, I also use a sticky base coat and seche vite top coat (when I do my nails, that is).

Is the seche vite top coat a high gloss? I got a pedi the other day and she used the sticky base coat but also a top coat I'd never seen before and I love it - so glossy and gives it almost a 3-D look -the way there was such a difference between car paints when they first came out with the clear top coat over the shiny paint, if that makes sense? Just a neat depth to it. Didn't love the pedi job otherwise but need to find out what she used!

As for good polish, I honestly don't think you'll get a super cheapy that's any good. I don't like OPI because they refused to take the nasties out for so long (despite selling it without these ingredients in the EU for years prior). I started using Zoya brand after a promo pointed out here and LOVE it. Not cheap - IIRC it's still $6-7 a bottle plus shipping - but it lasts well and has no nasties.

kboyle
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
i use OPI too. i just recently gave up the search for good cheap polish and started to buy only OPI...since then my nails look fantastic all the time. i'm a bad nail biter, so for me to have polished nails is HUGE. but a base coat, plus a few coats of polish (i generally do 3 since i use darker polish colors) and a top coat lasts a good 2 wks generally.

i use drug store top coat so i'll have to try the sticky & seche vite!

kboyle
10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
did you end up using the coupon? i just noticed online that the seche vite says

Excluded from coupons
This item is not eligible for coupon discounts.

:( the closest ulta store is a good 40 min away and i'd hate to try to use it if it won't work

Jo..
10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I am going today so will let you know if the coupon works.

I can't get online to stack with free ship, so I am just gonna go. It's less than 10 minutes from me and right next to Bed Bath and Beyond where I am going to get my new crockpot.

I would RATHER buy online because I always feel like an imposter in beauty stores, but I am going!

Jo..
10-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Went to Ulta and they only had ONE bottle left of each. So I bought them both for $13.45 before tax after coupon. The coupon scanned with no problem whatsoever.

kboyle
10-06-2010, 03:36 PM
jo, i actually went today too and they said it would be fine to use the coupon even on their sale stuff...must just be online that it won't take the coupon?

they had 3 bottles of Stickey and I was gonna get all 3 but when i was in the aisle the sales lady said that they were out of stock for a couple months and other stores still didn't have any...i felt bad. i ended up getting an OPI nailpolish and painted 1 nail when i got home...i really hate the color :( i wonder if they take returns/exchanges on polish.

Megano
10-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I've had luck finding OPI at Target in the clearance bins. Also, don't know how you feel about Revlon, but, at CVS after their newspaper coupon & extrabucks it's free.

Jo..
10-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Just wanted to post a RAVE about the Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. I put on a base coat, 2 coats of polish, and the top coat. Within 2 minutes my nails were dry and rock hard. I couldn't believe it. It was perfect timing too because I realized I had to pee and was worried about messing up my nails. Not a single smudge. AMAZING. As a bonus, it is so shiny!

Thanks for the rec ladies. I'm sold for life.

cbscherer
10-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I love, love Sally Hansen Hard as Nails or Tough as Nails. I take it with me to the salon instead of using OPI

DrSally
10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Just wanted to post a RAVE about the Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. I put on a base coat, 2 coats of polish, and the top coat. Within 2 minutes my nails were dry and rock hard. I couldn't believe it. It was perfect timing too because I realized I had to pee and was worried about messing up my nails. Not a single smudge. AMAZING. As a bonus, it is so shiny!

Thanks for the rec ladies. I'm sold for life.

Glad it worked out for you!!
I, too, went to Ulta recently with the $5 off coupon and got some makeup. Man, haven't been in a makeup store in a long time. I also used manufacturer coupons on clearance items. The SA had such a hard time ringing up (the clearance price wasn't ringing up), that I had to leave to pu/DS and come back! The manager actually rolled her eyes at me and my money saving ways. I realize women go in and easily drop $50 at a time there, but not me! Anyway, I sympathize with your discomfort in going into a makeup store.

Jo..
10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Okay that made me LOL. The manager rolling her eyes would totally be something to happen to me. I feel better when I walk out with a $50 haul for 49 cents ;).

This time I only saved a little bit, but I still think it was worth it!

DrSally
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Okay that made me LOL. The manager rolling her eyes would totally be something to happen to me. I feel better when I walk out with a $50 haul for 49 cents ;).

This time I only saved a little bit, but I still think it was worth it!

:ROTFLMAO: Yeah, I was buying clearance items w/manuf coupons, and the Ulta coupon. Got 4 items--eyeshadow quad, mascara, concealer, and blush for $8. I'm planning on throwing out some old makeup. I'm glad I can laugh now b/c at the time I thought she was so rude!

ITA that when you find something that really works well, paying full or close to full price is worth it!

kboyle
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Jo...I TOTALLY love the seche vite top coat too! i LOVE how fast it dried, and it was completely dry, not just the top where the polish is still gooey. so glad i opened this thread!

Jo..
10-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Update: 3 days later and I have my first chip. :dizzy: So still not sold that the better brands and the stickey made a difference.

However, I am a Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat customer for life.

BabyH
10-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Update: 3 days later and I have my first chip. :dizzy: So still not sold that the better brands and the stickey made a difference.

However, I am a Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat customer for life.

Invest in the Zoya Color Lock system. I go ten or more days w/o a single chip. I PROMISE. It's not cheap - but it works. If you don't want the full set, get Armor and Anchor and use Zoya nailpolish with it. You'll love it.

DrSally
10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I think they say to reapply the seche vite every 2 days?

Jo..
10-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Yup I did. I still have (now) two large chips and major tip wear on every nail. I have short nails and wore gloves while gardening.

BabyH
10-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Yup I did. I still have (now) two large chips and major tip wear on every nail. I have short nails and wore gloves while gardening.

See my post about Zoya above (I don't work for them, but I should ;) ) I give DS a bath almost every day, and I do my share of the dishes.... trust me. It's the best stuff out there. It WORKS.

bunnisa
10-10-2010, 07:48 PM
I order from here:

http://www.transdesign.com/

or here:

http://8ty8beauty.com/

They stock all the salon brands at wholesale prices. :) I like Zoya, China Glaze, OPI and Barielle. Barielle is harder to find but wears really well.

tmahanes
10-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I like Orly.... I just bought a base coat called Bonder and a top coat called Sec N Dry and my nail polish is still on perfectly on the second day and that absolutely never happens.... even with a professional manicure. I will let you know how long it lasts.

Jo..
10-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm getting Zoya next...Holy cow the price makes my eyes bleed. BBB hasn't let me down yet though!

nupe
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
With Zoya, I find it works best when you use it with Zoya base and top coats. THat's what I used to use back the in the day when I was pg and the other brands still had the bad solvents in them, and Zoya didn't. I personally have found no difference in wear between triple zoya and seche/opi/stickey, but I always have wear on my hands due to the frequent hand washing that I do. By contrast, my toenail polish lasts for weeks!

wellyes
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
oops wrong thread!
(y'all are making me feel like my nails are naked -- gotta work on that!)

Jo..
10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
I just ordered one bottle each (enamel) CND, China Glaze, Zoya. I am seriously goingto paint one nail each color next to the OPI and see which one holds up (in conjuntion with the Stickey and the Seche topcoat).

If they all suck I will move on to Orly and Barielle (which IS hard to find, at least online).

Will report findings.

brgnmom
10-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I just ordered one bottle each (enamel) CND, China Glaze, Zoya. I am seriously goingto paint one nail each color next to the OPI and see which one holds up (in conjuntion with the Stickey and the Seche topcoat).

If they all suck I will move on to Orly and Barielle (which IS hard to find, at least online).

Will report findings.

wow, that's great how you're going to make some comparisons between the brands. ;) I'm definitely interested in hearing about your findings! I have primarily OPI nail polish bottles at home, and maybe a few Sally Hansen ones. The OPI nail polish has held up better for me, but within a week, I do notice some chipping... but that's b/c I tend to wash my hands with soap when I'm out and about.

Where did you end up ordering Zoya nail polish from? China glaze is something I've wanted to try out as well.

salsah
10-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Will report findings.

can't wait to hear the results.

i'm wearing essie now with sticky and seche. after five days i have one chip and some wearing at the tips of some fingers. i did not reapply the top coat though.

Jo..
10-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I placed the order on Amazon from the Beauty Drawer...It was a flat $4.67 shipping so I ordered the three enamels for under $20 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=AXESJ2A7EN2WO

salsah
10-11-2010, 12:01 AM
i forgot to mention that i bought some new polish at dsw of all place. i hadn't heard of the brand before but bought it because it said that it is formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate free. it was also only $5.50 and BOGO 50% off. i bought a sheer pink color (natural, french manicure type color similar to essie's mademoiselle) for me and a purple color for the girls. there were a couple of other nice (classic colors) and some fun colors too.
i haven't tried yet, i'll update when i do.

Jo..
10-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Day one of experiment.

I used Stickey (that's how it's spelled) base coat and Quick dry top coat on all nails.

ETA I am adding a pic of left hand but please do not mock my manicuring skills, my raggedy cuticles, or my VERY short nails (I garden daily).

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/016-8.jpg

I painted the left hand in shade order from lightest to darkest. Four out of five shades are very neutral and close to flesh toned, I will describe the variations. Shade #5 (cnd copper chrome) is coppery like a penny.

Left hand

thumb (lightest) Sally Hansen "Royal Icing: a slightly sparkly white-pink

index: China Glaze "innocence" a pronounced baby pink

Middle finger Zoya "glimmer" a sparkly SHEER beige

Ring Finger OPI "Not Tonight Honey" a fleshy light beige with a tiny sheen. My favorite shade.

pinky: CND copper chrome. coppery.

On the right hand, I painted them in alphabetical order.
Thumb: China Glaze
Index Creative Nail Design (CND)
Middle: Opi
Ring: Sally Hansen
Pinky: Zoya

Will coninue to report as chips or tip wear appear.

alexsmommy
10-16-2010, 08:11 PM

This is why I just don't do my finger nails while I have little kids. No matter how good the nail polish, I have chips within five days.
I do think the high end stuff makes my pedi's last a LOT longer though. I'm just now chipping after a five weeks and it's time for a new one anyway because of new growth.

Jo..
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Day 1 update

Left Hand:

Tip wear on thumb Middle finger and pinky (sally Hansen, Zoya, CND in that finger order).

China glaze (index) looks perfect but I hate the color. Opi on ring finger also holding up well.

Right hand: China glaze thumb is perfect. MAJOR tip wear on index ring pinky (CND, Sally Hansen, Zoya, in that order).

MAJOR chipping of my favorite nail color middle right Opi.

Conclusion so far: Matte non sparly holds up better. China Glaze holding up the best for me so far. I am HARD on my nails. 2 loads of dishes, gardening, and cleaning today

Jo..
10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Day 2. So far I rate them in this order: China Glaze, Opi, Zoya, CND, Sally Hansen. I'm not going to bother with a second top coat as my nails look so bad that it is all going to come off tomorrow.

China Glaze is holding up the best. Slight tip wear left index finger, right thumb looks perfect.

CND tip wear/slight chipping left pinky, major chipping on right index finger.

Opi: Doing great on the left ring finger (very slight tip wear), but the same shade looks like crap on my right mddle finger. Half the nail is chipped. I don't know what to think about this.

Sally Hansen major chipping on both hands.

Zoya: Tip wear and slight chipping both hands.

kboyle
10-18-2010, 02:28 PM
1 coat of stickey, 3 coats of OPI, 1 coat of seche vite (only applied once) and my nails generally last 7-9 day with minor tip wear (not chipping). the only reason i re-paint is because of the growth by the cuticle.

i'm "eh" on the stickey, but i ♥ the seche vite.

Jo..
10-18-2010, 02:51 PM
My next step is to try the nails with and without the Stickey.

I am also looking for a good price on Barielle and Orly to try them because so far I am disappointed in the pricey brands...I still think there is one that must be great, I just haven't found it.

Maybe I will color my nails with a Sharpie and call it a day.

theamazingtrace
10-20-2010, 02:07 AM
I noticed that CVS carries the Seche top coat along with a few other products in the line. I believe the top coat was either $5.99 or $6.99. Anyone ever seen coupons, specials, or ECB's on it there?

nupe
10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
At beauty brands today, I saw that China Glaze was buy one ($6.50) get one free! Of course they were out of the VII plum color I was in search of!

And for the color tests above, I always find that even with the same color on every finger, certain fingers wear faster (index) and certain ones chip faster (ring and middle). Hmmm.

salsah
10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
i tried the formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate free polish that i picked up at dsw and was not impressed. it didn't last long at all. (compared to essie, which is what i usually use). i don't think i'll use on me again, i'll just use it for the girls.

BabyH
10-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Next, try Zoya w/ the Anchor base coat and Armor top coat. I promise you this stuff is like shellac on your nails.

Also, a few times a year, Zoya does a trade in, where for however many polishes you send in (minimum of 6 I believe) you just pay $3 per bottle (shipping) for the Zoya trades you want. I've done it twice and it's seriously a bargain!

China Glaze USED to be great. Until they thinned out their polishes like OPI did - this kind of thing seems like it happens to all of the "it" polish brands eventually..... but my old school CHG polishes rock. The newer ones, not so much. And I stay away from all things OPI.

nailgal.com is a great site for color comparison. makeupalley.com is a great site to swap the colors you don't want anymore! (And find new ones!)

salsah
10-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Also, a few times a year, Zoya does a trade in, where for however many polishes you send in (minimum of 6 I believe) you just pay $3 (shipping) for the Zoya trades you want. I've done it twice and it's seriously a bargain!

do you have to send in zoya polishes or any polish? does it matter how old, dried out, empty the bottle is? how many bottles of zoya do you get in exchange (is it one to one or is the 6 minimum for one bottle)?

BabyH
10-20-2010, 08:53 PM
do you have to send in zoya polishes or any polish? does it matter how old, dried out, empty the bottle is? how many bottles of zoya do you get in exchange (is it one to one or is the 6 minimum for one bottle)?

Any polish, any brand, any condition, any size (minis!) even if it's all dried up. I think it's so they can help dispose of it properly. It's a 1-1 exchange, I think the max is like 200! It's an amazing deal. I'll be sure to post when it happens again!!

* Oops, I meant to say it's $3 a bottle - but that's still a great discount! (So to clarify, if you send them 6 bottles for 6 Zoyas, you owe them $18).

roms
10-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Was in Ulta today and they had buy 2 get 1 free on their nailpolish. I used the $5 off coupon. My total for three OPI was $12.xx.

Jo..
10-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Thought I'd mention experiment #2, I did 3 nails on the left (thumb middle pinky) and two on the right (index ring) with stickey, The Other 5 nails had no base coat,

Followed up with four coats of Zoya Glimmer and quick dry top coat. Zero difference in the Stickey nails and nails with no base coat. All had equal chipping and tip wear, most pronounced on both thumbs (severe chipping).

After three days I had to remove the whole mess. Repeating the Stickey experiment with Opi polish and if I get the same reults it's going in the trash and I will try Zoya anchor and armor.

zukeypur
10-23-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm in awe of you ladies going weeks without chipping. My nails are so bendy that everything I've ever tried chips by day 2, so I haven't painted my nails in years. I'm considering giving it a try with this stuff you guys are talking about.

Jo..
10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Doesn't get much cheaper than this. I just got a bottle of Orly for $1.09 shipped

NOTE $5 coupon and free shipping coupons STACK, but your order total MUST be over $1 a/c for free shipping. There is a 10 cent filler item listed on SD.
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2323685

kboyle
11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I bought two bottles of Essie last week and LOVE it. it goes on so smooth and thick and dries quick even w/o seche.

i did find that this did chip at the 1 wk mark where as the OPI I can get a couple more days out of. BUT my nails are SUPER short, so nothing to really bend or get in the way.