PDA

View Full Version : Like your Silhouette Machine? Best price?

doodlesmama
09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Silhouette machine. Does anyone have one? What do you like about it, what do you hate? What about a Cricut? Do you use it a lot? What are the difference in the models, and what/where is the best price? Thanks a lot!!!!

fortato
09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I have a silhouette! I love it and wish I could use it more.

I like that I can print things in addition to cutting things out. Plus- you don't have to pay for cartridges if you just need letters. Any True Type font works!!!
If you think you will use it a lot, then get it. You won't be disappointed!

scrappypeanut
09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Here is an excellent comparison on the cutting capabilities of both. From the pictures the Silhouette SD (newest version) is a far superior machine when it comes to cutting intricate details and corners.

http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=2841

Silhouette is releasing its Mac compatible software this month. Currently if you have a MAC it is not compatible unless you run parallels, etc or use Adobe Illustrator.

As far as deals, waiting for one myself, they usually release a really good bundle around xmas time. So I am waiting to see what it is, if there is not a good one by November I will ask the peas for the best price. The peas know everything.

www.twopeasinabucket.com

But out of all the machines I have researched the Silhouette seems to be the best for me and my MAC. I do not like Cricut cartridges (too expensive when I only like half the stuff on them), the Silhouette does not use cartridges and you have access to purchase single images from their site for $0.99. It also always you to cut the fonts you currently have on your computer. The Cricut requires external software (for purchase) for this same capability (SCAL or MTC) and the cuts will not be as detailed with a Cricut for smaller fonts or scripty fonts.

Silhouette uses GSD files, search for free files you can download on the net. There are also some dedicated message boards to the Silhouette.

belovedgandp
09-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I've had my silhouette for almost two years and love it. I haven't come close to being able to do everything it "can" do, but for basic fonts you can't go wrong.

I had borrowed and used a Cricut before. It was fine, but the cartridges and stuff were too much for me. Now the learning curve is much steeper for the silhouette. The Cricut I pulled out of the box and got the job done quickly. My machine is taking a little more give and take to figure out. I have a local shop that carries them and has classes. Without a couple of hints from the two freebie classes I took there I would have had a lot of trouble when I first started to use the machine.

The same shop had an after Thanksgiving deal almost two years ago. I sent DH the e-mail and told him to buy it. For once it actually worked!