PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix-Metro in December - With 9-mo-old

lizzywednesday
09-22-2010, 01:23 PM
OK, so DH and I have traveled to Phoenix (AZ) on multiple occasions, both before we got married and after.

We love to visit Phoenix.

This December, we're traveling out there with our daughter. She'll be 9 months old. We arrive at Sky Harbor on Christmas night and fly back to NJ on January 3rd.

We've already got the zoo & botanical gardens on our list because I love them and refuse to skip a visit.

We've been to the science museum, but think maybe it'll be over her head.

We figure she might be patient enough for a jaunt to Scottsdale and maybe a day-trip up to Sedona will be possible, even though neither of these are specifically kid-friendly.

Are there any other kid-friendly things we're missing? True, a 9-month-old isn't exactly an "entertain me all the time" kind of kid, but I'd like to have a couple of things in my back pocket in case she surprises me.

lmr1101
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi,
There are a few other museums that might be fun for your daughter.
The Children's Museum of Phoenix is great! My daughter loves it (both the section for young kids and also the big kid areas).
Also, the Musical Instrument Museum just opened less than 6 months ago. I belive there is an entire kids section there. I'm taking my daughter there in a few weeks. I've seen pictures and there are always kids playing with a ton of different instruments.
Have a great time... hopefully it will cool off by then :)

lizzywednesday
09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Last time we went out in December (2 yrs ago) it was fairly cool for AZ, but still warm for NJ (65 compared to 25) so it was leather jacket weather all the way! (Seeing people in puffer coats made me giggle.)

Question - are those museums included in the CityPass thingie you can get from the travel & tourism office in Tempe? (That's how we did everything on a budget last time & we might do that again.)

lmr1101
09-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Trust me, I would be bundled up if it was 65degrees. We're still sweating it out today, it's about 106 and I am soooo ready for the summer to be over!

As for the CityPass, I've never heard of it. I do know of the culture passes, but those are only available at the different public libraries. They give you free admission to whichever museum pass is available. The problem is there are only about 5 per library and the day they are available people are usually waiting in line outside the library before it is open. Usually the zoo and children's museums go first... but it still may be worth a trip or two.
Search online for the public library phoenix, tempe, scottsdale etc, depending on where you're staying and then once on their website search their catalog for "culture pass". It will show you all of the different pass that are available. Here's the main website explaining the program. http://phoenix.showup.com/page/culture_pass
I've been able to get a few, but I wouldn't count on it for your budget. Also, I'm guessing the Musical Instrument Museum isn't going to be discounted anywhere since it is so new :( Trust me, I've been searching.

lizzywednesday
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Neat! Thanks for the tip; we may not qualify, but it's worth a shot. (We'll be staying with the ILs out in Queen Creek.)

baileygirl
10-03-2010, 12:39 AM
I'll second the Children's Museum.

If you are headed to Scottsdale, you might want to check out the train park.

http://therailroadpark.com/index1.htm

Also, Zoo Lights is still going on at the zoo during that time....

lmr1101
10-03-2010, 12:58 AM
I just got back from the MIM today. Turns out there really isn't much for an 18 month old to do. There was only one room where you can actually touch the instruments. We really only went to that room. We did spend an hour there letting my DD explore, but if I would have paid $15/adult I may have felt that I could spend that money elsewhere.
I still say go to the Children's Museum, but since you'll be staying in Queen Creek you may want to check out the Arizona Museum for Youth instead of the one in Phoenix... it will probably be much closer.
Either way, have fun!