PDA

View Full Version : To wake her up or not to?

PMJ
09-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I have been battling this for some time now and wanted some thoughts from you all.

DD is pretty good about napping / sleeping at night w/ our schedule in place. She is 11 months old.

Wakes - 6 am
1st nap - 9 am
Wakes around 10:15 ish
Lunch at 11:30
2nd nap - 2 pm
Wakes - 3:15 ish
Bed - at 7 pm

** Lately b/c I"ve been trying to be more social, meet new people - I have been waking her up around 10 or 10:15 (when she is not up yet of course), so we can get to the event on time. Even then we are usually late !

I try not to do this a lot, and if I do it in the am, def don't do it in the pm.

Is this ok? If so, how frequently per week is ok?

I always was told, "Never wake a sleeping baby"!

TIA

LMPC
09-22-2010, 08:12 PM
This used to happen to me too when DD was this age. My mom's group events always started at 10 (or 10:30a). We live roughly 30 minutes from a.n.y.w.h.e.r.e we go, so I would typically put DD in the car an hour or so before we were to arrive and then just let her sleep in the car. Sometimes I did end up waking her up...but by that time, she had been asleep for about an hour. Probably did this 1-2x a week. It didn't seem to disrupt anything else...and we got to get out of the house (which was a HUGE plus at that time!). GL! Naps are tricky!!

Smillow
09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
My son was a horrible sleeper @ that age & it was such a struggle to get him to sleep - I never woke him up because I never had to - he didn't take naps longer than an hour ever until he dropped down to 1 nap.

edurnemk
09-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I did the same as LMPC a couple of times, I'd grab a book, put DS in the car, drive to where we needed to be later, park the car for a while and read while he slept. Once he had slept for 45-60 min, I'd transfer him to the stroller, hoping he wouldn't wake up, but if he did, well he'd had an hour nap, so it wasn't so bad. Also his long nap was in the afternoon, that one I did consider sacred. He was a terrible napper for the first year.

Dr C
09-22-2010, 09:11 PM
For all the reasons you just mentioned, we RARELY woke DS... but fast forward to poor DD and she gets woken up ALL THE TIME so we can go to soccer games, birthday parties, Target, etc. Not only that, but she would really prefer to take nap #2 at 2 PM but has to hold out until 3 so big brother can get picked up. Sucks to be the second kid, I guess. But she's fine. Kids are resiliant. Go ahead, wake your DD up to go to your thing. Maybe try to put her down a little earlier for that first nap if you can. Either way, she'll probably be fine.

Alternatively, if it turns out that she turns into a raging lunatic if you wake her up, then don't wake her up anymore.

Smillow
09-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Alternatively, if it turns out that she turns into a raging lunatic if you wake her up, then don't wake her up anymore.
:rotflmao:

Once we woke DS up in the am as it was like 9 am and he was still asleep - the look we got from him! I have a feeling we will see it often in his teenage years (he's only one and a half)!

Giantbear
09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
We wake our DD without real issue. She almost 4 months and a good night sleeper but bad daytime napper. I usually wake her from her evening nap to ensure a good 2 hours wake time right before night time bed. Sometimes it takes a bit, but she wakes, plays and then sleeps for a good 7-9 hours coordinated with when we sleep. I know my wife will wake her during the day when they need to be somewhere for a class or an errand.

My mother always quotes her pediatrician, who used to say, you get the child onto your schedule, not the other way around. So far it is working for us.