PDA

View Full Version : I love my mom, but she's not a bargain shopper...

Momit
09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Last year I asked my mom to go out the day after Halloween and pick up a costume on clearance for DS to use this year. Well, I think she found the only store that hadn't discounted their costumes and bought him one at (gasp!) full price on November 1.

So this year I need help. Where are the best places (online or stores that you can call and have them ship stuff, we live in Germany so I can't go to the stores) to find good deals on costumes after Halloween? I'm hoping to pick up an assortment of the toddler sizes for dress-up, Karneval, next Halloween etc.

Thanks very much!

edurnemk
09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Your mom sounds like mine, :ROTFLMAO: Last year she bought a $50 lion costume for DS. It's gorgeous, I must admit, but it's a good thing she paid for it and not me! And you should've seen her when we were planning my wedding (again, good thing my parents paid for it and not me)

I'll be following this thread since I also don't live in the US anymore and I'm searching for a costume for this year.

Jo..
09-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I am such a bargain fiend. My Dh can't understand why I have 20 costumes in all different sizes in the dress up closet! Well, it's because they were 90% off and I won't have to buy a costume for YEARS.

Last year the Disney after Halloween sales were good. I got a gorgeous silk vampire black cape lined with red for $1 at TRU. Old Navy had a great deal on a wizard robe and hat (see DD in my siggie). Maybe $5 or less. I loooove dress up. My Little Ducks (dot com) had sales last year on Little Adventure costumes. That's where we got the cowboy outfit on DS in my siggie

I adore the Tom Arma costumes and watched them like a hawk all year but they never went on sale. My price point is $10 or less, with peference paid to $5 and under. Arma never goes under $40. BOO!

Make sure you stock up this year!

I have a wonderful Babystyle butterly that I need to CL before Halloween (not sure if Babystyle still does costumes but they are AMAZING) as well as a Sebastian Little Mermaid (Disney). I expect to break even on these, or maybe even make a few bucks (gasp)!

ang79
09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I got DD1 a pink butterfly costume at ON last year for $2.50! It was reduced down to $5 and I picked it up at their first 50 in the door 50% off sale :) There wasn't much else left at that point though.

This year I want to check Target right away to try to find things for next year or for dress-up. Those are about the only stores I frequent for the kids.

HIU8
09-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I get my kids costumes mostly at consignment shops (or online onsale). My mother equates bargains as other peoples trash. She is appalled that I consignment shop and that I buy on deep discount. She never did (hence her and my dads HUGE credit card bills--Did I mention they were HUGE). I just can't live that way. I am a bargain hunting maniac.

DebbieJ
09-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I got some super cheap costumes on Amazon earlier this year.

citymama
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
LoL - re the opposite of bargain shopping, I can't believe my MIL has bought DD2 newborn and 0-3 month clothing worth approx $500! :eek:

Put in her college fund, please! Some of the Kissy Kissy/Petit Bateau/Ralph Lauren stuff she bought was either never worn or worn once. Ay caramba...

mum-to-be
09-24-2010, 12:17 AM
You ladies are funny! My mother is the same - just pays retail all the time! I can't understand it! They came to stay with me when DD was born four months ago, and by the end of their two months living with us, they were asking me to find them bargain gifts to take back to all the other grandkids. My mum raved about the lovely teapot set I had bought especially for her. After a month I broke down and asked her how much she thought I paid for it. Imagine her face when I said I paid $2 for it at the Borders sale! My Dad then jokingly asked me if I had ever gotten things for free, and I told him how I had actually been paid by Target to take their tag books because I had coupons. My mum also saw a puzzle DS was playing with and said she saw it on sale somewhere and thought I would be impressed that it was on sale for $9. When I told her I paid $3 for it, my Dad couldn't stop laughing.

I wish people would give us money or gift cards for the kids Christmas presents, or at least let us shop for them so they don't spend so much!

Twin Mom
09-24-2010, 12:49 AM
My mother is the same way. She thinks wearing other people's old clothes or buying old toys is gross. Hand me downs are fine, but it's buying used stuff that bothers her. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt at consignment sales and Goodwill. I don't tell her where stuff comes from so she can't comment...I am bummed b/c I missed a couple of my favorite consignment sales this year b/c I couldn't find the time to go with everything I had going on.

I get my kids costumes mostly at consignment shops (or online onsale). My mother equates bargains as other peoples trash. She is appalled that I consignment shop and that I buy on deep discount. She never did (hence her and my dads HUGE credit card bills--Did I mention they were HUGE). I just can't live that way. I am a bargain hunting maniac.