PDA

View Full Version : What to wash babies clothes with

Lupe
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi,
I was thinking about switching laundry soap, to one that will be good for the baby but also effective at cleaning my DH clothes. I heard Charlie's soap is good, but the reviews on amazon are mixed. Anyone uses it? should I just switch to a regular detergent with no fragrance?
I actually do all my laundry with woolite, but my DH and sheets with tide because woolite does not clean his laundry well (he says). Can I use woolite for baby and me?
thanks

AnnieW625
09-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I use Tide Free & Gentle HE liquid for all of our laundry, but I much prefer powder. It works the best of all of the free liquids I have tried (Kirkland Enviro. Friendly, Cheer Free, All, Arm & Hammer Natural, 7th Gen., Kirkland Free, Bio Kleen), and Country Save powder. I haven't tried Charlie's Soap, but have been tempted. I have heard really good things about it here.

My DD2 has reflux and spits up ALL of the time and Tide Free & Gentle HE, and good old Spray N Wash has gotten almost all of the spit up stains off of her clothes, as well as ours.

fedoragirl
09-24-2010, 09:46 AM
We LOVE Charlie's Soap. I stock up on it every sale. I even take it with me for travelling. Can't live without it. I CD so we wash all diapers in Charlies.
We use Ecos Lavender for our clothes, and will switch DD's laundry to the same once she is older. I will try out Tide Free and Clear next because it was on sale, and I wanted a little stronger detergent to get rid of the odor in DH's sweaty shirts. I don't know if it will work but I will try it.

lizzywednesday
09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I despise Woolite because it's too heavily fragranced for my allergies to deal with, so I'd never use it for baby clothes!

DH likes scented detergent; I break out if I use scents.

Currently we're using Target's Up & Up house-brand detergent - scented for him, unscented for DD & me.

brittone2
09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Charlie's.

I would definitely skip things like dreft, which are a rip off in terms of cost and they are heavily fragranced on top of that. Nothing particularly special about Dreft except the price.

We like charlie's. I ran out recently and have been using BioKleen which is decent for us but I prefer Charlie's.

eta: some people have issues w/ the more natural detergent/soaps, but I think part of it is that they are used to "optical brighteners' in products like Tide. Those aren't necessarily super healthy for you or the environment.

In terms of stains, I have good luck with sunning stuff out. Works great for breastfed baby spit up. For stubborn stains, I use the BBB trick of super hot water and oxyclean (I use the eco-friendly version of oxyclean). Works well (don't use super hot water on screen prints or things that will bleed, obviously).

AshleyAnn
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
I use all free and clear 2x and 3x depending on what is on sale for all our laundry. I also like all's stainlifter (blue bottle) but its not free and clear and I have terrible skin allergies so I perfer to stick with the simple stuff unless I have a bad stain.

Tide gave me a terrible rash while pregnant so I refuse to use any of it on principle even the free and clear. I swear its bottled evil.

katydid1971
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Country Save is Awesome.
http://www.countrysave.com/

Lupe
09-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks to all!
I think I will give Charlie's soap a try, amazon has it for a reasonable price
will test it on DH workout clothes (the ultimate test!) and see what he says

If he is OK maybe I can switch the whole family to it
is it good for delicate fabrics?

The reason I wash all my clothes with cold water and Woolite and line dry is because the colors look better longer, specially because I have a black heavy wardrobe of almost all "cold water only" clothes