PDA

View Full Version : Are you freaking kidding me IRS??

WolfpackMom
09-25-2010, 01:23 PM
In June we got a letter saying we owed taxes from 2008. I went in person to the IRS office in our town to pay said taxes and drop off the paperwork. I have a copy of the cashiers check with a dated stamp on it from the IRS office (note stamp does say it's not a receipt).

So why did I sign for certified mail today saying we still owe the exact taxes I paid in person and will soon owe interest??!!!?

lowrioh
09-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Try to give them a call on Monday morning. I got a letter in June stating that we owed taxes from 2008 because we made a deduction for my husbands IRA. It was actually a valid deduction and I was able to clear it all up over the phone. We got a letter affirming the correction a couple of weeks later.
The woman on the phone was surprisingly friendly and helpful.

LMPC
09-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Annoying to say the least, but I agree with PP that a phone call on Monday will probably clear things up!

WolfpackMom
09-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes I will be calling Monday. I just dread it because back in June I called and ended up with some rude lady on a power trip who had me in tears by the end of the call. An agent is now assigned to our case according to the letter so hopefully that will help. :( it's just frustrating is all!

dcmom2b3
09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
My mom had a similar experience last year. The IRS person that I spoke with explained that those letters are in an automated queue that's set up something like 60? 90? days before the letters are mailed -- even after you've paid the tax they "can't" (more like don't bother) to take your letter out of the queue.

Nyfeara
09-25-2010, 08:42 PM
We got one of those letters for our 2007 taxes. They're pretty bad at figuring out taxes due on any kind of stocks/withdrawals. I got a letter saying we owed taxes on the full amount of our portfolio, not the actual profit or loss, but the full value of all we had invested. It took a few months to clear up and they wound up owing us another $700+ instead of the $16,000 they said we owed them.

But as a PP said, the letters are automatically generated and we kept receiving them even though we had met deadlines with other documents. Each letter would also include a waiver for you to sign agreeing to pay the amount they were originally requesting. I did call once just to make sure, the person I spoke to was very nice and assured us that they had received everything and we'd get another letter confirming that it was all done.