PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your foam floor mats . . .

vtmom
09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
the ones with the alphabet letters or without that go together puzzle style. I'm wondering about how durable they are? Can you put a table and chairs on top of them? Do they come apart easily?

We're looking for some sort of floor covering for a playroom for our soon to be three DCs. I was thinking of an area rug, but the ones I like are a lot more expensive so now I'm wondering about the foam floor mats. I'd also be interested in hearing about what floor covering you have that you really like if you have something different. Thanks!

KrisM
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
We have the large solid color mats in our basement.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa81/khaselton/DSC00040.jpg

We cut them to fit and go around corners. I was worried that the letters in the alphabet versions would end up all over my house.

bubbaray
09-26-2010, 08:28 PM
We have the kind Kris shows, only we just have 4. We put a Little Tikes table on top of them in the family room. We finally got sick of them and tossed them, but they did help keep playdoh off the carpet. IIRC, we got them at Home Depot or somewhere like that.

gobadgers
09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
A couple months ago, I bought something like Kris has at Sam's Club. They are really thick and soft and durable, though we haven't had enough time to really see if they last yet.

We also have an alphabet mat elsewhere in the house, and it is not as durable - and yes, letters and little pieces end up everywhere when DS (16 months) is there. Some of the little pieces are probably choking hazards, such as the little middle pieces of "A" or "P".

I'd like to get an area rug at some point too, but I just can't get myself to do it yet. Maybe in a few years ;)

KrisM
09-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I got distracted. Ours are from Sam's and we've had them in for around 3-4 years now. They can get dented from things that are heavy, so we usually put an extra layer under the feet. Otherwise, they've held up very well.

vtmom
09-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to have a look around for the solid square mats, we don't have a Sam's Club and I've only seem the mats with alphabet/dots in stores around here.

edurnemk
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I have the alphabet ones, and I regret getting them since DS loves taking them apart and dance around the house telling me the names of the letters. So I have to put it back together every.singe.night and I have to look everywhere for the little pieces. We got them at Costco. If I find a good deal on simple colored ones, I might switch to those :ROTFLMAO:

We haven't put anything on top, we just have it as a play surface in the playroom, next to the train table.

I like the concept, but now I think maybe an area rug would've been a better option. Of course these mats are easier to clean.

HonoluluMom
09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I have solid color foam mats and mats with shapes. DD likes to pull out the shapes, so if I could do it all over again, I'd get the solid color ones.

wimama
09-28-2010, 10:04 AM
A couple months ago, I bought something like Kris has at Sam's Club. They are really thick and soft and durable, though we haven't had enough time to really see if they last yet.

We also have an alphabet mat elsewhere in the house, and it is not as durable - and yes, letters and little pieces end up everywhere when DS (16 months) is there. Some of the little pieces are probably choking hazards, such as the little middle pieces of "A" or "P".

I'd like to get an area rug at some point too, but I just can't get myself to do it yet. Maybe in a few years ;)

I got distracted. Ours are from Sam's and we've had them in for around 3-4 years now. They can get dented from things that are heavy, so we usually put an extra layer under the feet. Otherwise, they've held up very well.

:yeahthat:Another Sam's Club colored mat fan. We set up a play are for my DS in the dinning room hardwood floors and basement with these mats. They are significantly cheaper than any other mat I found. Do you have anyone that can pick them up at Sams for you?

sail731
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
We got solid black mats at Costco for our basement. They have held up well and there are no little pieces to drive me crazy!!!!!

vtmom
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
We have a Costco near us, so I'll take a look there -thanks! and I think I found the mats everyone is talking about here online at Home Depot for about the same price as Sam's, so if all else fails, I could try that.

anatolia
10-03-2010, 03:17 AM
We have both the letters ones and the color ones. I find the letters mat a pain as DS will take out the letters everyday without fail. We bought the color ones at Costco.