PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to pump on the go!

BigDog
09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm new to pumping as I wasn't able to BF DS1, but now with DS2 it's working out really well. Anyhow, what's the best way to pump while out and about? I have the Lansinoh double electric pump that I use at home but was wondering if I should get a manual pump for when I'm out? I'm a pretty modest person so I would be pumping in the comforts of my car most likely. This weekend we're planning on taking DS1 to a pumpkin patch/hayride and then out to lunch. My parents will be watching the baby so I'll need to pump while we're out. So please educate this modest first-timer! Thx!

Andi98989
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
I got a car adapter for my Medela pump; I pumped in the car ALL the time. Using a nursing cover will be your best bet. I would slip my handsfree bustier (a Simple Wishes) on under my shirt while my bra was still fastened, then I could open up my bra flaps. Then I would put on the nursing cover, put on the shields and I was good to go.

wendibird22
09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
I've pumped in my car quite a bit. Here's my rules of thumb...

1. When possible park away from everyone else and in a location where someone can't park facing you (yes, I've had an old guy park opposite me and stare at what I was doing).

2. When possible climb into the back seat...your less noticeable there and I find it more comfortable than a front seat.

3. Get car adaptor or bring fresh set of batteries with you and use a double electric. You want the process to be as fast and efficient as possible. IME, a manual pump isn't as efficient and tends to be more work. Since you have a double already, I'd use it.

4. Use a nursing cover or wear clothes that are easy to cover up with (tank with a hoodie or cardigan).

5. Bring a magazine or something to look at...it makes that 15-20mins stuck in your car go by so much faster.

catsnkid
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I used to do it while driving and just pull my shirt over the horn. My HHR has high windows anyway.

HonoluluMom
09-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I used to do it while driving and just pull my shirt over the horn. My HHR has high windows anyway.

:47: Wow!

mmsmom
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I pumped in the car 3x day for 3 months. I had the Ameda Purely Yours w/ the car adapter plug. Depending on my schedule I often pumped while driving. I never used a cover, just pulled my shirt over the horns. The only thing you could see was the tubes coming out but I did get strange looks at stoplights sometimes :). I also knew the parking lots I could go to to find privacy... usually a place like Target with a large lot where I could park far away. I found the Medela cleaning wipes to be helpful... I used them to wipe down the horns after each session. I used the cooler w/ ice packs that came with the pump. But on colder days I didn't bother with the ice packs. I listened to the radio or called friends to pass the time.

Andi98989
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM

I pumped while driving all the time. I had a wrap cardigan that I would wear.

lizzywednesday
09-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Definitely make it easier on yourself and get a hands-free pumping bra!

Thanks to Andi, I got the Simple Wishes one (best price online is at Amazon) and have pumped in the car using my PISA & the car lighter power adapter.

I used a nursing cover, but have also used a lightweight robe turned backwards to cover up while pumping.

Good luck!

jennilynn
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
If you don't feel like pumping in the car, you might see if there is a Babies R Us or a Motherhood/Pea in the Pod maternity store nearby. I've done that before - just to pump. They're both comfortable and welcoming, in my experience.

wellyes
09-27-2010, 07:49 PM
If you haven't pumped before, I personally wouldn't start with a manual pump. Electric pumps are more effective and faster. I like the Medela Swing -- it works with an AC adapter or you can just put a battery into it. However, if you're only going to have to pump a few times during your nursing lifespan, I'm sure a manual will be good enough to relieve engorgement.

MacMacMoo
09-30-2010, 06:20 AM
I use to have to pump and drive all the time. i used a Ameda with a car adapter and a nursing cover. I had a pumping bra thingy but never used it I found shimming the horns into my nursing bra was enough for me.

I did fine it was easier to pump in my Honda civic versus pumping in the minivan.

If someone else was driving I'd sit in the back seat and if I needed to pump I'd do it from the comforts of back there.

BabbyO
10-01-2010, 09:58 AM
FYI Lansinoah doesn't have a car adapter, you'll have to use the batteries, but I never had a problem with less suction using the batteries (not that I did it often). I'd also echo the hand's free bustier (or make your own from an old bra that you can just slip over your nursing bra - I did this with an old sports bra) and a big cardigan or nursing coverup.

I pumped on a work trip one time with 4 other people in the van. Just had my hands-free bra on, slipped my sweater over me, opened my shirt and pumped. The car noise covered the pump noise...the driver asked if they needed to stop for me about 2 hours past my pumping time...I said, nope...taken care of! :)

Good luck!

hillview
10-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I've used the electric pump and pumped in a car or a bathroom or an airlines club. I think it is easier if you wear a top that has easy access, bring a wrap if you want to, have all the pump parts ready to go and organized. Practice at him with your kit once to get the hang of it. It gets pretty easy after a couple tries.
/hillary

MacMacMoo
10-02-2010, 11:43 AM
FYI Lansinoah doesn't have a car adapter, you'll have to use the batteries, but I never had a problem with less suction using the batteries (not that I did it often).

I had an ameda car adapter ans used it for both my ameda and lansinoh pump. They have the same voltage requirements and same size plug port.

BabbyO
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I had an ameda car adapter ans used it for both my ameda and lansinoh pump. They have the same voltage requirements and same size plug port.

I called Lansinoh and they said that there wasn't a car adapter. I asked about the Ameda one and they said it wouldn't work. Sorry for the mis-info...

Wonder what the deal is with the info from Lansinoh?

PGTB
10-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I have Medela Freestyle which is very small and has a great battery life, so it is very convenient for pumping on the go, no adapters required. I use it to pump in the car during longer road trips. I usually sit on the back with DS and use only one side, just hold it with one hand and pull my cardigan over with the other hand. It helps to wear something like a loose cardigan. I would have plenty of time to pump one breast at a time during car trips and washing less parts and bottles helped too.

I also pumped in the airplane bathrooms, both breasts at that point using simple wishes bustier. You can't hear if someone is pumping because it's so loud anyway. The problem is finding the perfect timing when you think the bathroom is lightly used and if the airplane has more of them than just one or two.

I haven't done this in the regular bathroom due to noise the pump produces.

I have never tried pumping while driving, that would be a challenge for me.

I have two ziploc bags, one holding clean parts and another one for dirty parts. I just dump the used parts into the dirty bag without washing when I am on the go. I also do this at work, just rinse them and drop them into the ziploc bag to wash at home.

PBJplusOne
10-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I pump in the car (and airplanes,airports,public places) weekly as I travel for work, here's my top tips:

1) If you're using batteries (sounds like you'll have to with your pump) pay more for the lithium advanced ones, in my Ameda they produces a stronger sunction and last longer.
2) The Medela Quick Clean wipes make cleaning parts w/out a sink super easy.
3) I use a PumpEase band which goes over any nursing bra and has slits to insert the horns.
4) I use a nursing cover if I'm in a public place (great for pumping in your seat on airplanes)
5) Occasionally, I've used the Medela storage bags with the stickers to pump directly into, you have to be stationary and up right to prevent leaks (so not a good option if you're pumping while driving or on a bumpy flight) but a great alternative to having bottles to clean if you're just going to transfer them into storage bags anyway.

Good luck, like everything it gets easier with practice!