PDA

View Full Version : ERGObaby carrier accessories...

drcarpiodds
09-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Hello ERGO mamas...

I'm fortunate to have my ERBObaby carrier (returned by someone at BRU, and placed on the clearance rack for me to find)...

Any thoughts on the handsfree accessories?

Changing pad? Backpack? Front Pouch?

Used my carrier this weekend with DS1 (and DS2 - when DS1 wanted to walk)... and I thought it might be nifty to have some of the accessories...

However, wanted to check with the more experienced mamas to see if the accessories are worth the "pretty penny"...

SoOooo...

LET ME KNOW =) THX.

Andi98989
09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I have the front pouch and really like it. I use it all the time when I'm out with DS. I can easily fit my id, cash, phone, and car keys in it.

minandjam
09-27-2010, 07:51 PM
You are super lucky to find the carrier on clearance!!!! We are hoping to get one for the baby shower.....One question though.....is it really worth the money???? and does it fit larger woman comfortably? how about short woman does that make a difference?

Dr C
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
We have never used nor missed any of the accessories with ours. The regular ergo has a pocket big enough to stuff a small diaper and tiny wipes baggie in. If I needed more I'd tote along our regular diaper bag.

Changing pad? How is that handsfree? If it changes the baby for you you should definitely get it. ;-)

lhafer
09-28-2010, 12:14 AM
You are super lucky to find the carrier on clearance!!!! We are hoping to get one for the baby shower.....One question though.....is it really worth the money???? and does it fit larger woman comfortably? how about short woman does that make a difference?

I consider myself a larger woman (I wear a 20 and about 5'6"). I have an Ergo and love it. Just get the waist extender.

I got the backpack. I can see the front pouch being good as well. I liked the back pack because I can attach it to the carrier. Or I can have it separate - DH can carry it as I always carry the child!!

I have a 7 month old that I am now using it with (my older one is 4.5 years old) and I just bought the suck pads for it. I haven't used them yet, as I just put them on, but I could see how she was already sucking in the straps - and these will help a lot.

I did get the Heart to Heart insert when she was an infant. I personally didn't care for it. I found it made the carrier really bulky. Perhaps that's because I am bigger to big with. No idea. I just didn't dig it. I got a wrap instead and used it exclusively for those first months. After about 6 months old, I started using the Ergo. Here are a couple of pics when I was trying out the Ergo at around 4 months or so. She was still a little small for it (comfortably IMO).

drcarpiodds
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I have the front pouch and really like it. I use it all the time when I'm out with DS. I can easily fit my id, cash, phone, and car keys in it.

THANKS for your input.

I was thinking of getting the front pouch and either the changing pad OR the backpack (but not both the changing pad and backpack) for extra pockets/storage.

I like that the front pouch can also be used up front when baby's worn on the back - that way you can put your personal items in and not have to worry about your stuff being behind you/out of reach. This weekend, I put my phone in the front pocket on the carrier, but when I wore the DS1 on my back, I was worried that I would have to take DS1 down just to get to my phone.

drcarpiodds
09-28-2010, 12:45 PM

I KNOW!!! (If you are a FRIENDS fan - I know I'm dating myself - I'm quoting Monica)

YES, I think it's SO worth the money, even at regular price, because it is so comfortable. I've used a Bjorn (given to me by my very good friends), peanut shell (got a great deal at a Target in NY - 3 of them were 75% off each, kept one, gifted the others), hotsling (same deal at Target - 75% off), Baby K'tan (target - yet another great deal at 75% off), Moby Wrap (also at target 50% off). After all these carriers, which were good while I had them, the ERGO baby is my fave - it lasts till 40lbs and can be used from infant (with insert) years; it's so comfortable (nice padding), and I can tell both DS1 and DS2 love it.

I'm 4'11" and 105 lbs - so I know it will fit a short woman fine. You can buy an extender for the waist belt if it's necessary - I thought of buying one for DH, but almost fully extended, the waist portion fits him - he's 5'11", 180 lbs.

I believe it will work fine for you. If you have a baby store near you, try one on, then order online (with free shipping) to avoid taxes and use any internet coupons that may be available.

DebbieJ
09-28-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm larger too and I use the waist extender and it works great.

drcarpiodds
09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
We have never used nor missed any of the accessories with ours. The regular ergo has a pocket big enough to stuff a small diaper and tiny wipes baggie in. If I needed more I'd tote along our regular diaper bag.

Changing pad? How is that handsfree? If it changes the baby for you you should definitely get it. ;-)

it would change the baby for you =)

NOPE... It just attaches like the backpack to the carrier, so when you're out and about, you don't have to carry something separate. Like you said, the small pocket can be used for stuff, but with both DSs, I figured that I needed something extra for storage (either the backpack or changing pad for their items) and the pouch (for my personal items).

I really want to use the carrier and the accessories when at Disneyland or on outings by myself (when DH is working) and I have both kiddos. One in a stroller, and the other in the carrier. I usually put all my stuff in the stroller storage, but at Disneyland for instance, when you have to fold your stroller for trams or some rides, you can't leave all your stuff in and fold the stroller at the same time (or else, I can't - I have a BJCM)...

drcarpiodds
09-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I consider myself a larger woman (I wear a 20 and about 5'6"). I have an Ergo and love it. Just get the waist extender.

I got the backpack. I can see the front pouch being good as well. I liked the back pack because I can attach it to the carrier. Or I can have it separate - DH can carry it as I always carry the child!!

Anyhow, if it couldn't possibly get any better... So I wrote my initial post to figure out what I really wanted to do with the whole accessory thing... Well, I went back to BRU to get a few other items, stopped by the clearance area, and I found the backpack. It was priced at 43.90, but when I scanned it, it was an extra 25% off... so with my 20% off coupon, I ended up getting the backpack for $28 with tax...

The only thing is the backpack is black, while my carrier is grey =/ So I'm not too sure if this matters much considering the awesome price (roughly 50% off). DH says the colors still go together (as in they don't clash), but I'm the type of person that likes things matching. Still thinking of whether I should keep it or return in and get the matching one... WWYD?

lhafer
09-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Anyhow, if it couldn't possibly get any better... So I wrote my initial post to figure out what I really wanted to do with the whole accessory thing... Well, I went back to BRU to get a few other items, stopped by the clearance area, and I found the backpack. It was priced at 43.90, but when I scanned it, it was an extra 25% off... so with my 20% off coupon, I ended up getting the backpack for $28 with tax...

The only thing is the backpack is black, while my carrier is grey =/ So I'm not too sure if this matters much considering the awesome price (roughly 50% off). DH says the colors still go together (as in they don't clash), but I'm the type of person that likes things matching. Still thinking of whether I should keep it or return in and get the matching one... WWYD?

What an AWESOME deal you got!!! Way to go!

I would probably just keep it. I know there were many times that I would have the backpack separate from the carrier, so color really didn't matter. And black and grey go together very well. Otherwise, all grey might get a little drab. Do you have the Galaxy Gray one? If so, the straps are black, you can use those as your tie in!! But when you are with your DH for example, I doubt you would have the backpack attached to the carrier. One would be baby wearing and the other would be backpack carrying. At least that's how we always did it.

Uno-Mom
10-01-2010, 12:05 AM
The sizing is wonderful on the Ergos. I just tried but failed to paste in a pic of Sprog being worn by DH.

We trade the Ergo back and forth. Though we both have a bit more tummy than is good for us, otherwise our proportions are totally different. He has very slim hips and broad shoulders. I am...well, opposite. So when he's been wearing it, I just tighten the shoulders and loosen the hip band. I'm sure you'll be able to get a great fit.

The real reason why I tried for the pic was to demonstrate why you don't need the suck pads. What I did was cut the feet off my favorite (but holey) striped knee-highs and threaded them on the strap. It's a much cuter, custom look, IMO. And very easy to wash.

I'm bummed that I couldn't share our happy daddy-wearing pic. :( Oh well, enjoy your Ergo!