PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to get a playhouse?

HonoluluMom
09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Thinking of Christmas gifts. Is it worth it to get a playhouse, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Lookout-Treehouse/dp/B000QF7KMK/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285619809&sr=8-5

I don't have much of a yard, so if I keep it, I'd probably have to leave it inside my house. The grandparents (they babysit 3 times a week) have a bigger yard so I may give it to them.

I'm thinking that I can drive DD to the playground to play on the equipment. But, it may be nice to have a playhouse she can play in whenever she wants. Should I get one?

gobadgers
09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I think those playhouses are great. We have one similar to your link in our basement! You won't win any interior decorating awards, but kids love them. It's always a big hit when we have playdates.

I see them posted on our Craigslist all the time - if you want used it may be worth checking.

ETA: I think they have a lot of value above and beyond a trip to the park. If it's RIGHT THERE, it can be used while you're making dinner, when the weather is bad and everyone is stir-crazy, etc...

SnuggleBuggles
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
That one's not really a playhouse but a really fun climber. I see merit in owning it! I agree with pp that it is darned nice to have things at home sometimes.

Beth

brittone2
09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
If you want one for outside, I'd look on CL. It may have some fading, but you can probably get back 75-100% of what you paid when you resell unless you trash it. I've purchased climbers, etc. before from CL and sold them for what I bought them for if not more in some cases.

I can't bring myself to pay full price for the plastic outdoor playhouse things when you can buy used for like 1/3 of the price. IME, kids do not care about the fading or even notice it.