PDA

View Full Version : Planetbox

crl
09-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Thought I'd do a quick review of ds' planetbox lunch box.

Here is the link: http://www.planetbox.com/

I bought it for this school year so it has been in use for about six weeks now. We previously used a laptop lunch box. DS likes the planet box and so do I.

PROS:
stainless steel, so no leaching and should be very durable
Box itself has just one lid that is hinged so no interior boxes to lose
Plenty of space to pack ds' lunch
Compartments are sized well and it is easy to pack lunch in
Looks cool :)

CONS:
Expensive upfront
Unusual shape limits you to their carry bag (although I think it would fit in a Skip Hop saddle bag almost perfectly), which is far from ideal, see below
Carry bag (we have the original, they subsequently put a revised version up) drink holder is way too small for Kleen Kanteens, etc
The snack pouch is also too small for us as ds needs to take two snacks
Carry bag is not machine washable

Let me know if you have questions, I will try to answer them!

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
How would you compare it to the LL? If you like it better, why? Just another alternative? What if you have several of them to pack? would it work as well?

crl
09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
How would you compare it to the LL? If you like it better, why? Just another alternative? What if you have several of them to pack? would it work as well?

I prefer it to the laptop lunch boxes because it is stainless. I am trying to reduce our plastics due to concerns about leaching. I also feel sure that it will be more durable. One of our lap top lunch boxes broke at the hinge after three years. Three years is a good run, but I think the Planetbox will last through ds' grade school years and then be passed down to dd. Also, ds lost one of the interior boxes from his laptop lunch. The planetbox doesn't have any to lose.

I don't think it would make any difference how many you have to pack.

Hope that helps,
Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Wow - you got 3 years of daily use out of your LL? cool. DD has used her for preschool officially 2 days, lol. We've used them for playgroup lunches infrequently for a couple years.

I was asking the "several" number b/c I like the way the LL lids aren't flat out on the counter when I'm packing. The just lean back, kwim? When I've them all lined up to fill, counter space (in our small kitchen) is at a premium. Are they substantially bigger than the LL or comparable? The lure of no little parts is tempting. Utensils (clean and dirty) would just go in the outer pocket? Hmmm.....Do you send utensils?

crl
09-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Ah, I see. Well, the lid could be propped against something, but on it's own it is going to lay flat. The planetboxes are bigger than the laptop lunch boxes. I think they hold about the same amount of food, but the way the divisions are done in the planet box (molded stainless steel) takes more room than the individual containers in the laptop lunch boxes.

I sometimes send utensils. I put them beside the box, inside the main compartment of the carrier.

Let me know if you have more questions or if I missed one.

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
09-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Let me know if you have more questions or if I missed one.

Catherine
all good. Thanks for answering them so quickly. I like to know details.

crl
09-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention that the planetbox can go in the dishwasher! Big plus for me.

Catherine

daphne
09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
I prefer it to the laptop lunch boxes because it is stainless. I am trying to reduce our plastics due to concerns about leaching. I also feel sure that it will be more durable. One of our lap top lunch boxes broke at the hinge after three years. Three years is a good run, but I think the Planetbox will last through ds' grade school years and then be passed down to dd. Also, ds lost one of the interior boxes from his laptop lunch. The planetbox doesn't have any to lose.

I don't think it would make any difference how many you have to pack.

Hope that helps,
Catherine

Did you mean that you prefer the Planetbox??

I also bought one for DS for this year. ITA w/all of your pros. I bought one of the newer colors, so the KK fits perfectly in the drink pouch. My DS is a huge eater, so I'm finding that some of the compartments are a little small, but I imagine that they couldn't have made it any bigger. I'm totally in love w/it, despite the $$. It was a lot to shell out, but I'm hoping to get years of use.

crl
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Did you mean that you prefer the Planetbox??

I also bought one for DS for this year. ITA w/all of your pros. I bought one of the newer colors, so the KK fits perfectly in the drink pouch. My DS is a huge eater, so I'm finding that some of the compartments are a little small, but I imagine that they couldn't have made it any bigger. I'm totally in love w/it, despite the $$. It was a lot to shell out, but I'm hoping to get years of use.

Yes, the "it" refers to the planetbox. I prefer the planetbox over the laptop lunch box. Glad you like yours!

Catherine

daphne
09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
oops! sorry - i was reading quickly!

crl
09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
oops! sorry - i was reading quickly!

Oh, no. I'm sorry I wasn't clear!

Catherine