PDA

View Full Version : On the Go snack ideas

jgenie
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
DS1 started preschool last week and we've had a few days so far where he is ready to melt down when I pick him up. I think the problem is he's too excited in the morning so doesn't eat a good breakfast. I'm looking for ideas of things I can pack that he can snack on quickly before we head home. He eats very little so we try to stay away from junk food as much as possible. Any ideas? TIA

DrSally
09-27-2010, 10:33 PM
I do an apple or piece of string cheese when I pick up DS from preschool. He's old enough that he can eat an apple in the car wo/making a mess. I think cheese is good b/c it offers fat and protein.

ETA: Sometimes we'll stop and the bagel shop and the kids will munch on a plain bagel in the car. They both love this.

gatorsmom
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Can you bring something with you when you pick him up like cheese sticks? Those are typically not too messy and come individually wrapped. Plus, they are high in protein. How about half a sandwich? Annie's bunny crackers? They are tasty and come in individual packets.

Dr C
09-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Cheese sticks, baby goudas, goldfish, a small snack container of dry cereal (like cheerios). Fruit (cut up apples, orange sections, I would say grapes but probably would be better not to have a choking hazard in the car).

I love the Trader Joe's whole wheat pretzel sticks.

kbud
09-27-2010, 10:47 PM
My girls love these pepperoni and cheese stick packs. My dd#2 doesn't eat much. She loves these though. I keep them in the car and in my purse as they don't need to be kept cold. I get them at walmart.

http://www.jacklinks.com/#SubChannel_Channel_ProductsComboPacks

Clarity
09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I like to sneak in veggies when I can so I pack container of cooked, but cold, peas for the kids. For convenience, I will also buy unsalted canned green beans, drain and pack for snacks - both girls eat those cold too. You can do the same with carrots if your kids will eat them.

twowhat?
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
We give our girls a small handful of Annie's whole wheat bunnies or Snapeas to eat in the car on the way home from daycare. They are STARVING when we pick them up, and this holds them off until dinnertime, assuming that I can distract them from wanting more when we get home.

Momit
09-28-2010, 09:10 AM
A piece of cheese and a slice of apple or pear
Veggies - peas or wax beans (the yellow ones) cut in pieces
Whole grain goldfish crackers
Raisins
Hard boiled egg (white only, yolk is messy!)
Chickpeas

Andi98989
09-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Cheese stick
Brother's freeze-dried fruit
Granola bar
Nutrigrain-type bar
Goldfish
Jelly sandwich

brittone2
09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I like to sneak in veggies when I can so I pack container of cooked, but cold, peas for the kids. For convenience, I will also buy unsalted canned green beans, drain and pack for snacks - both girls eat those cold too. You can do the same with carrots if your kids will eat them.
I was going to suggest "peas and cheese". Frozen peas thaw and keep small pieces of cheese cold.

ehf
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
My friend makes mini-muffins that have carrot and zucchini in them. She makes them with agave and apple sauce instead of sugar. I'm sure you can find recipes easily for healthy muffin snacks.

I don't know if that's healthy enough for you, but they're q quick and portable snack. She keeps them frozen; by the time they're ready to be eaten, they've thawed.

Good luck!

DrSally
10-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I was going to suggest "peas and cheese". Frozen peas thaw and keep small pieces of cheese cold.

Great idea!

KpbS
10-03-2010, 11:29 PM
We do sunflower seeds here for a quick, protein snack.

lowrioh
10-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Cut up fruit like apple slices and grapes cut in half, cheese sticks, and soy beans are our on the go snacks.

daisymommy
10-06-2010, 04:33 PM
If your child is melting down, it may very well be that their blood sugar is down. They need something with protein and fat in it, not just carbs. which will pick them up but then drop them right down again in another mood swing later.

Crackers with peanut butter sandwiched between them
Cheese stick and crackers
Protein granola bar
Protein shake (can be as simple as 4oz. of yogurt--Greek for extra protein--mixed with a splash of milk to loosen it up; stir well. Serve in a straw cup that has a lid such as Thermos or Take n' Toss).