PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a baker's rack or kitchen hutch

liamsmom
09-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I've decided the best way to organize my kitchen is to get rid of the under-used kitchen table and get a baker's rack for extra storage. The catch is I would like one with cabinet doors underneath so I can baby proof them. I really like this one, but it costs about $1400 and I don't want to spend that much.

http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=6311&categoryId=8027

We checked out this one IRL, but the quality was really low, not made out of real wood (or anything resembling real wood) and it was really over-priced for what it was.

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catalog/details.asp?ID=4991#AboveTabs

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that looks like one of these? Or should I re-adjust my expectations?

robinsmommy
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
I'd look on craiglist. If I was in your boat, I'd be looking for an antique kitchen queen or hoosier - these are freestanding kitchen cabinets. But here is the catch - get one with a natural finish only - old paint usually means lead. And no, I would not plan on stripping a painted one. But then, I have an old house and this would fit best with old house decor.

Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/OAK-HOOSIER-TYPE-2-PIECE-CABINET-GRANITE-TOP-/350344693271?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item51922bc617

They usually have a pull-out work space, and lots of storage. Just avoid painted stuff (so like, if there was a painted flour sifter, I'd probably not use it.) I'd also avoid any that have leaded glass on the bottom panels - though I've never seen it there, only on the top cupboards - probably too fragile for the bottom shelves.

Or see if there is a "newer" (non-antique) version of what you want on Craig's list - there were lots of hutches with cupboards below and shelves above made for the 50's/60's colonial revival era - these are really cheap(I usually see them for $400 or so, just couldn't find a listing of one quickly - though there are all kinds of hutches on craigs list here), and you could paint it a color you liked.

Used older furniture that is in good shape is usually much better than anything you can buy today - just look things over carefully for damage.

o_mom
09-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I'd look on craiglist. If I was in your boat, I'd be looking for an antique kitchen queen or hoosier - these are freestanding kitchen cabinets. But here is the catch - get one with a natural finish only - old paint usually means lead. And no, I would not plan on stripping a painted one. But then, I have an old house and this would fit best with old house decor.

FYI - stained wood can have lead in the varnish, so even a unpainted piece can be a source of lead ingestion.

robinsmommy
09-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Aack. Did not know that about varnish - all of the natural woodwork in our house tested out safe, luckily. But for a budget, it is hard to beat Craigslist or some similar thing. Lots of decent used stuff (including stuff modern enough that lead shouldn't be an issue) if you have time to look and find what you're after.

The only other suggestion I could make would be an unfinished furniture store, if you are handy enough to put a finish on that you like. Quality does vary quite a bit store to store and piece to piece, though.

o_mom
09-30-2010, 09:31 PM
I didn't know either until we had some borderline blood tests and I started looking into it. It was a lead inspector that actually told me that many times the stained wood trim in houses comes up positive. I would definitely test any older piece like that before purchase (you can get kits at Lowes, etc.), especially in something for the kitchen or high-use area.

I'm on a hunt right now for a piece on CL, so I know the deals you can find if you are patient!

liamsmom
10-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I've been looking at Craigslist, but it's not that big where I live so it can take a long time to find something I like. I never thought about lead though, so I'll definitely have to take that into consideration. Thanks!

robinsmommy
10-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Do you have family or good friends with a truck in a bigger town who could help you out? You could look at listings in their town, try to screen them, and maybe get a piece that way? Thanksgiving is coming, they could deliver it then...