PDA

View Full Version : Gassy Baby

unlisted
09-28-2010, 08:43 AM
My dd is about a month old and extremely gassy. She is formula fed with Dr Browns bottles. During the night, we have such a hard time burping her. Sometimes she lays in her bed and cries out and kicks her legs so hard and finally will pass gas. Sometimes it even seems like it is hard for her to have a bowel movement. We are giving her Mylicon but it doesn't seem to be helping. I try to burp her over my shoulder, laying her on her tummy, and after bending her at the waist. Nothing seems to help that tummy gas! Any suggestions?

wellyes
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM
It's normal, as their digestive system is developing, to struggle with gas and BMs that way. But it sucks.

Mylicon is completely safe for newborns - it just goes straight through the baby, none of it is absorbed. I think it helps a little.

mmsmom
09-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Yes, unfortunately it's just how it is with a lot of newborns. You just have to experiment to see what relieves the gas. For me it was walking up & down the stairs, laying them on back bending knees towards chest, laying them on their side or putting light pressure on their belly. You may also want to try a different formula... some people say certain brands cause more gas in their DC. If you are doing Mylicon after the feeding, try it before. My ped said too you have to use it for every feeding to see any effects.

Mikey0709
09-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Ugh - been through that same thing and until their system matures we got NO sleep! We switched from regular formula to a GENTLE one (Enfamil Gentlease) which really seemed to help - - the formula was broken down more and easier to digest.... also doing Bicycle exercised with their legs while laying seemed to help a little. Good luck - - and hopefully she'll pass through this phase quickly!