PDA

View Full Version : Weeklong article on Homeschool on MSNBC

daisymommy
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
The Today show, on MSNBC will be hosting a week long article on Homeschool. Looks go so far!
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39342787

WolfpackMom
09-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Very interesting.

I love reading about what the hsing moms on this board are doing. It helps me to have a positive view of homeschooling because what I have witnessed with it over the past couple years has not been positive at all. I know the majority of home schooling is by people who really care and are doing the best things possible for their children but my SIL has home schooled two of my nieces and its not a positive thing for them. SIL pulled each DD out of school in the 6th grade once they started having more homework etc. With DD1 she didnt start doing any hsing until 6months later and it was all computer stuff, she did over the summer before 7th grade, when DD1 reentered school in 7th grade she was very, very behind and did very poorly (she wasnt doing well to begin with which is why mom pulled her out rather than having her fail). SIL has done the same with DD2, bascially no schooling is taking place right now - she goes to work at MIL's restaurant a few days a week and babysits other days and does some computer software intermittendly. I worry greatly for my nieces who seem to be pulled out just to become babysitters for their younger siblings.

Sorry about that random tangent. My point is, articles like this are great because they show how positive home schooling can be and help to educate people and ease negative stigmas.

daisymommy
09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Wow. She would get into hot water with the authorities if they knew what was happening! Please don't in any way let such an irresponsible person as your SIL color the other amazing experiences that homeschooling parents are creating for their children. I'm glad you're getting to read about the other side of the story :)

WolfpackMom
09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow. She would get into hot water with the authorities if they knew what was happening! Please don't in any way let such an irresponsible person as your SIL color the other amazing experiences that homeschooling parents are creating for their children. I'm glad you're getting to read about the other side of the story :)

Yeah, its no good. It has been joked more than once about which kid is going to end up living under our roof instead (they have 5). MIL told me last week about how the software doesnt let DN go to the next lesson until she gets every answer right on a quiz or whatever, so DN just guessed over and over and over again until she got the answer to a math question by typing in 1, then 2, then 3 etc as the math answer. Took her 32 guesses. oye, the kid was doing well in school academically but not socially, and wasnt doing her homework, now I feel like her whole future is being put in jeopardy. We were really, really, hoping they would put her back in school for 7th grade but they opted not to.

I dont think negatively of hsing at all, I think negatively of SIL and BIL's attempt at it. HSing is even something we have considered for the future if our schools don't shape up around here.