PDA

View Full Version : healthy juices/juicers

cilantromapuche
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Can I make a spinach smoothie or carrot juice in a blender. Any other recipes? Has anyone lost weight drinking these?
Thanks!
c

brittone2
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
If you want to do it in a blender it would work best with something like the Vitamix. I don't own one but would like to. Many loyal fans.

The upside is you get all the fiber from using the whole fruit/veggie, vs. straight *juice* which is a lot of sugar without the fiber to at least somewhat slow a blood sugar spike.

Google Green Monster. You can do some pretty amazing green smoothies with a blender.

Avocado is surprisingly tasty in smoothies. Makes a nice creamy consistency (I like it in strawberry smoothies).

Weight loss depends on what you are doing. Straight juice, IMO, not so healthy for the long haul. Smoothies with good ingredients as a meal replacement I think are a better option (get some fat and protein in with them). Super sugary/sweet (even high sugar fruits) can cause too much of an insulin spike for many people IMO. If you end up adding a ton of sugar, etc. to a smoothie that's not the best for weight loss either IMO. (like honey plus a banana plus sweetened yogurt, kwim? )

Best of luck.

eta: baby spinach totally disappears in smoothies. The better your blender, the better it will be but a normal blender will do fine w/ baby spinach. It just turns things kinda muddy/green looking. You can add them into berry based smoothies etc and there isn't much taste.

zoestargrove
09-29-2010, 01:00 PM
I have an old vitamix that my parents weren't using and I've borrowed.

I've been using it for about a month and a half to make green smoothies.

I haven't been dieting, but definitely needed to lose a few pounds because my pants were getting tight....so, I've swapped out my usual breakfast (of yogurt, toast or oatmeal) for a green smoothie and mostly try to have a lunch that is predominantly fruits and vegetables with grains, dairy and meat if any at all only in the smallest of portions.

For dinner and after anything goes.

as you can see not much of a diet, but those changes were enough that I've lost 5lbs in about 7-8 weeks. My pants fit again. hooray! while not the kind of results I could write a book on, I'm happy with them.