PDA

View Full Version : Flying Southwest - Getting a good boarding position?

3blackcats
09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
We are flying Southwest for the first time. And we are traveling with a small child. How do I get a good boarding position without having to pay the $10 extra? Or should I just pay the $10 extra for DH and have him go on first with the car seat?

TIA!

kerridean
09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
You need to get into group A!!! Here is what to do: 24 hours (to the minute) prior to your flight, go to the website, enter your confirmation number, and get your group assignment. I get in front of my computer and enter the number and just hit enter the minute the clock turns...I always get group A. Yes, I have done this at 3 am:). Trust me...you will thank yourself.

WolfpackMom
09-28-2010, 06:53 PM
You need to get into group A!!! Here is what to do: 24 hours (to the minute) prior to your flight, go to the website, enter your confirmation number, and get your group assignment. I get in front of my computer and enter the number and just hit enter the minute the clock turns...I always get group A. Yes, I have done this at 3 am:). Trust me...you will thank yourself.

:yeahthat: The earlier you check in the lower your seating letter! But if you have to install the seat and its only $10 it might be worth paying $10 for just one of you to install.

AnnieW625
09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Group B is often fine too. I find that most of the time Southwest has very nice flight attendants who are very accomodating to children. Row 13 is usually never filled up as it's right over the wing and sometimes people are superstitious about sitting in that row. I do it all the time.

codex57
09-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't think it's a big deal unless it's a holiday flight and you know it'll get booked up completely.

If you plan on getting A, you gotta do it on the second. As in, go to the check in page, prefill out everything, and then click the ok button the second it's exactly 24 hours before your flight.

THat said, it may not be necessary.

1-15 are taken already. Which means you're gonna be partway down the plane anyways. Beyond that, it's simply a matter of going down the plane until you reach an empty spot that works for you. Helps a little to be in the A group, but not necessarily.

If you anticipate a totally booked plane, I'd have your DH pay the $10 and set up first. If not, just try for A and walk down the plane until you find a totally empty aisle. This can be done even if you're in B or C group if the plane isn't totally full. Might be at the back of the plane, but that's not a big deal if you've got a kid (can't exit that quickly with a kid so being in the back doesn't matter that much).

DebbieJ
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
SWA allows families to board after everyone in group A has boarded and before group B boards.

Melanie
09-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I did this within 5 minutes, and didn't get a good place. I guess it depends upon popularity. :(

Having said that, you will at least get to board between group A and B with a child.

ETA: And it was still fine to board. We went with the kids group (two adults, one 8 yo and one 4 yo) and didn't have any problems finding seats in front of one another. Generally near the wing where the view wasn't tops, but I also didn't search long and stopped at the first set I found. It stresses me out to board with kids as people are always waiting behind you. We actually just got off of our flight last b/c we didn't want to hold anyone up.

SkyrMommy
09-28-2010, 08:27 PM
SWA allows families to board after everyone in group A has boarded and before group B boards.

:yeahthat:

I just flew SW about three weeks ago & the families that boarded between Groups A & B seemed to be sitting in the mid of the plane and all together. Each leg of my flights had families with small children, car seats & bags and all seemed to be fine. None that I could tell had boarding passes in Group A.

3blackcats
09-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will try for the A tomorrow at 2pm!

Snow mom
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
If you have connecting flights you end up checking in for those more than 24 hours in advance (because you check in 24 hours before your first flight.) You are therefore likely to get A passes for any connections. If your original flight is likely to be a connection for lots of folks (flying out of a hub) there is a good likelihood that you won't be able to get an A pass without paying the $10. That being said though I've never had a problem with the boarding between groups A & B.

1964pandora
09-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Definitely DON'T worry about it. I just flew Southwest this past weekend with two small children. I had group B for one part of the flight, but this particular Southwest crew did a family boarding between groups A & B, so basically we were allowed to board before all of the other group B passengers. In any case, make sure the crew sees you with your baby and car seat and one way or another, they will take care of you! (The best advice is what you've already received-- just get a group A boarding pass!)

vonfirmath
09-28-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't think it's a big deal unless it's a holiday flight and you know it'll get booked up completely.

I flew late August, midweek flights, NOT a holiday weekend. Every flight (4 of them) was booked up completely.

Don't count on anything not being booked up.

It was just me and my 3 year old son. Once we had A seats. Every other time we boarded between As and Bs in "Family" time and that was fine. Plenty of time. We always got two together, at the window.

kransden
09-28-2010, 11:05 PM
I fly a lot. Since you can get on after A but before B, you'll get seats together. So don't worry about it.

3blackcats
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Just checked in and got zone A position 52-54. I assume that means we are the 52nd people to board the plane. $10 in the bank, sweet!

groundhog74
09-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Very frequently there aren't people in positions A 1-15 depending on the flight. It is usually only business fliers who pay the extra money for the first positions.