PDA

View Full Version : ISO Halloween Candy Deals

lisa928
09-28-2010, 09:56 PM
With the number of kids that come to my house for Halloween I need to buy a lot of candy. And since it is on a Sunday I am think I probably need more than other times (150+ pieces). I like to buy the traditional chocolate candy (Reese’s, Snickers, Kit-Kat, etc) and am on the looking for deals. My preference would be to buy from a store where I could return anything unopened rather than eating it, as I don’t need candy around the house and will have enough with what my 2-year olds collect. I obviously don’t need it until Halloween, but would like to get a good deal. I have seen 2/$5 deals but swear I have gotten better deals in prior years.

bubbaray
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
150+ pieces is our first hour.

We buy for 300+, and we get "the good stuff" -- from Costco, Walmart, etc. We stop at 300 because after that time, its often teens. If you are shaving and your voice has changed, you're too old to ToT.

Momof3Labs
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Yummy Earth organic lollipops are a good deal right now - $15 for a bag of 325 after 15% S&S discount and 20% SEPYUMMY coupon code! **You must choose Amazon as the seller to get both discounts**

http://www.amazon.com/YummyEarth-Organic-Lollipops-Assorted-Flavors/dp/B000HDK0DC/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285730284&sr=8-1

kellybelly0513
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Target usually has good deals throughout October. I just watch the weekly ads. Also last year about 2 weeks before Halloween, TRU had all Halloween stuff 30% off and that included candy, I stocked up then.

I have no idea about returning it afterwards because a lot of the candy goes on clearance. I guess it would depend on the store.

Pinky
09-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm glad you posted this... we're on the lookout for a good deal too!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Yummy Earth organic lollipops are a good deal right now - $15 for a bag of 325 after 15% S&S discount and 20% SEPYUMMY coupon code! **You must choose Amazon as the seller to get both discounts**

http://www.amazon.com/YummyEarth-Organic-Lollipops-Assorted-Flavors/dp/B000HDK0DC/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285730284&sr=8-1

I ordered these and they arrived yesterday.

um, do kids actually like these? My older daughter chose a grape one and tasted it and handed it right back. I tried a pomegranate, and it just wasn't very good.

the two year old at the whole mango one, but she has been known to eat anything, so that's not a good test. :)

hillview
10-02-2010, 03:09 PM

um, do kids actually like these? My older daughter chose a grape one and tasted it and handed it right back. I tried a pomegranate, and it just wasn't very good.

the two year old at the whole mango one, but she has been known to eat anything, so that's not a good test. :)

We love them here. I have a few on hand and sometimes when I travel I eat them!
/hillary

shoxie
10-02-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm surprised to hear that - I've only heard good things about these lollipops, and I've eaten them myself, too, and thought they were very good. To me they taste wonderful. I didn't have the bag with pomegranate in it, though. I had some strawberry, watermelon, lemon, blueberry, blood orange, etc. So maybe some flavors aren't as good?? Not sure...

maiaann
10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Another vote for Costco & the Yummy earth lollipops. Besides candy, Costco had mini playing cards & mini play doh sets. I keep the Yummy earth lollipops in my diaper bag as a special treat when we're out and about. Some flavors are better than others, but my kids seem to like them.

Jo..
10-02-2010, 04:31 PM
It is SO WEIRD, NO ONE HERE trick or treats! Not one in four years. However the kids have school parties, trunk or treating, Halloween egg hunts, a big parade with tons of candy and free stuff...so they aren't deprived. But I think it's so odd that people here don't go trick or treating.

I still need good deals on candy because we have to send some to school! I have a ton of yummy earth from Amazon deals, but when I was a kid I felt ripped off if I didn't get chocolate, and my kids feel the same way

alien_host
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM

pomegranate is my favorite Yummy Earth pop flavor!

I usually buy the full sized Hershey bars b/c that's the one chocolate bar DD can have with her food allergies (small sized aren't OK for her). I need a deal on those. Or I get those sacks and fill them with misc candy (Yummy Earth, smarties, skittles).

I've also had play doh and tattoos or other non-food treats on hand, it's fun to see what kids pick.

Jo..
10-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Do the smal bars have different ingredients than the big ones? That is so weird! I always thought they were the same...just smaller. TRICKY

alien_host
10-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Do the smal bars have different ingredients than the big ones? That is so weird! I always thought they were the same...just smaller. TRICKY

For Hershey's plain chocolate bars, the snack/fun size is made in a facility that processes peanuts/nuts. The big bars don't have that warning on them. I believe it's because they are made in different factories...but yes it is confusing and a PITA to explain to people that she can have the "bigger" bar but not the smaller ones!

At least this is how it was last year, I haven't checked the bags for this year. I kind of hope it changes since I don't like spending all that $ on the full size bars (although the kids love it) but I like to have chocolate as an option.

vludmilla
10-02-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm surprised because I haven't met a child or adult yet who didn't like them. I think they taste much better than conventional lollipops.

Jo..
10-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I love the yummy earth lollis and so do my kids...But I would say that they would be disappointed to get them at trick or treat time. If I asked my kids if they wanted 20 lollis or one tiny pc of chocolate, they would pick chocolate every time. :wink2:

Momof3Labs
10-02-2010, 10:28 PM
The problem with chocolate is that it often doesn't make it until Oct 31!! I'd say that less than half of the houses around here give out chocolate, so I don't feel bad doing lollipops instead. I also usually have a supply of Halloween pencils and erasers in the basket too; those go fast!

Mikey0709
10-04-2010, 10:32 AM
In the past COSTCO had a coupon for the full size bars before halloween - - so be on the lookout! I had those last year... and the little play dough tubs. i was SHOCKED how many bigger kids picked the play dough.... made me wonder what they were up to with it?

peanut520
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM

are these the same ones from Trader joes? we love those!

Jo..
10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
SIX BAGS funsize candy for 7.80 (1.30 per bag)

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=112169&t=2291473

Pinky
10-11-2010, 08:14 PM

I'm not familiar with how good of a deal this is... do you know what these bags usually run?

sewarsh
10-11-2010, 08:15 PM

I'M WITH YOU!!! MY DC WONT EAT THEM AND I DON'T LIKE THEM EITHER. We are definatley in the minority, but i totally agree with you. Thanks for the reminder, i'll be giving these away for Halloween! :)

lisa928
10-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks!

Pinky
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Looks like that is approximately 50% off the target sale price for the same candy. I ordered all 3! Unfortunately it says it wont ship now for 5-6 weeks but I'm hoping amazon will fix this issue. I've had them say somethings out of stock before only to have it show up quick. Goodness knows I don't need all that chocolate to show up AFTER halloween. haha

Jo..
10-12-2010, 07:15 AM
About half price. I just bought 2 bags of candy at WM yesterday and they were $2.50 each.

debbo
10-19-2010, 11:59 PM
TRU has bags of candy for $1.99 right now. Not sure I've seen them go lower than that.

Pinky
10-20-2010, 06:48 PM
TRU has bags of candy for $1.99 right now. Not sure I've seen them go lower than that.

Thanks for posting! I'm thinking my Amazon candy isn't going to get here in time.

alien_host
10-20-2010, 07:23 PM
My Costco had 60 mini playdoh containers for $6.97 and 60 Disney Themed (Toy Story, Princesses, Cars etc) playing cards (War, Crazy 8, Old Maid etc.) for $4.97.

Seemed like a good deal based on the number of items. I suppose I should get candy as a choice too but I like having non-candy choices as well.

Neither scream Halloween so leftovers would be good for party favors as well.

fauve01
10-21-2010, 12:12 AM

:yeahthat: My dd doesn't like them either. they are way too tart for her. (they're not my favorite either...)

Twin Mom
10-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Publix has BOGO on some of the bigger bags but it ends today.

Pinky
10-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Just got word that my Baby Ruths are scheduled to arrive on 10/28. Let's hope the rest does too.

wifecat
10-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I've been looking for a good deal in stores, and I'm getting our candy on Sunday at CVS. The fun size bags of Snickers, Reese's PB cups, M&Ms, butterfinger, twizzlers, kit-kats (and maybe others) are 2 for $4, plus I just got an email for $4 off $20 that's good through Sunday. I'm buying 10 bags for $20, using my coupon, and so I'll pay $16 for 10, or $1.60 each.

Pinky
10-22-2010, 06:16 PM
I've been looking for a good deal in stores, and I'm getting our candy on Sunday at CVS. The fun size bags of Snickers, Reese's PB cups, M&Ms, butterfinger, twizzlers, kit-kats (and maybe others) are 2 for $4, plus I just got an email for $4 off $20 that's good through Sunday. I'm buying 10 bags for $20, using my coupon, and so I'll pay $16 for 10, or $1.60 each.

Do you have to have a CVS discount card to get them on sale?

wifecat
10-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Do you have to have a CVS discount card to get them on sale?

Probably - I think most of their sales require the card (but it's free and you can use your phone number so you don't have to take the card with you). The sale starts Sunday and I think it's only two or three days. I saw the early ad-scan on slickdeals.

lisa928
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Looking at the flyer it says there is a limit of 6.
http://images.iheartcvs.com/ad_scans/2010/1024/102410.pdf

Is the coupon specific to you or is it something you can share with us?

debbo
10-23-2010, 11:46 AM

So, that coupon is not valid with this sale because you won't get to the $20 min. purchase requirement with a limit of 6.

wifecat
10-23-2010, 12:33 PM

The coupon is specific to me (it's connected to my extracare card, but I just signed up for emails from them and get one of these almost every weekend). My CVS doesn't really enforce minimums, but even if they start, I'll just pad my purchase with things I need and only get 6 bags of candy.