PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else buy 2 of most things?

mykidsmom
09-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I have 2 girls 24 months apart (soon to be 4 & 6). I am getting a head start on holiday shopping and realize I have bought almost the same gifts for each of them (2 of each item). They are so close in age and like the same things but wonder if anyone else has this situation. Do you also buy 2 of most toys? For example, they both want a digital camera so I am thinking of getting each of them a vtech kidszoom camera, they both like to play with Barbie so I end up buying each of them a different Barbie, but still both are Barbie, bought them both Razor Scooters, even though the little one might be young for it, I know that if big sister gets one she will want one too and she is just around the corner from the right age for it. Oh, and both are getting wood vanitys (found on CL) b/c I knew they woudl both like it. Any one relating to my story?? Is this normal??

DietCokeLover
09-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, yes, yes. My DC are 11 months apart and it is not an option in our house to have just one of anything, unless we want bloodshed! I was actually recently wondering how long I will have to continue to buy two of everything.

ThreeofUs
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Not *all* gifts, but always a few, are the same - and my guys are almost 4 years apart. They both love cars, flashlights, blocks, etc. Getting such toys for just one would be setting up a war.

salsah
09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
yes, my dd's are 2 yrs apart so they want the same things. we buy two of anything that can't easily be shared. things that can be shared, we give to both them as a joint gift.

egoldber
09-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, even though mine are 5 years apart!

Melaine
09-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Heck yeah. In fact, I have gotten into the habit of picking up everything in two's, not just gifts. If there is only one thing in my hand, I feel wildly off-balance.

hellokitty
09-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes, DS1 and DS2 are only 18 mo apart. Ppl always ask if they are twins and in this dept, yes, they sure seem like it. I buy two of almost every toy.

WatchingThemGrow
09-29-2010, 09:09 PM
If not two of something, then three of something. we have an almost 18 m difference, then another 18m difference. We have three FP booster seats, 2 scooters, 2 balance bikes, 2 kidizoom cameras, etc. We need more magnatiles and more stuff like that b/c there isn't always enough for 2 DC to play, much less when #3 starts playing..

mykidsmom
09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
So glad to know I am not the only one!

vonfirmath
09-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I have 2 girls 24 months apart (soon to be 4 & 6). I am getting a head start on holiday shopping and realize I have bought almost the same gifts for each of them (2 of each item). They are so close in age and like the same things but wonder if anyone else has this situation. Do you also buy 2 of most toys? For example, they both want a digital camera so I am thinking of getting each of them a vtech kidszoom camera, they both like to play with Barbie so I end up buying each of them a different Barbie, but still both are Barbie, bought them both Razor Scooters, even though the little one might be young for it, I know that if big sister gets one she will want one too and she is just around the corner from the right age for it. Oh, and both are getting wood vanitys (found on CL) b/c I knew they woudl both like it. Any one relating to my story?? Is this normal??

My sister and I are 21 months apart and for the early part of our history, this was very normal.

We had 2 dollhouses, 2 bicycles (twice), 2 Mandy dolls with accompanying clothes (At the time, you bought Mandy clothes and got patterns inside. Mom made one copy of each pattern for each of us and divided the clothes up between), we each got a Ginny doll -- twice. Two shopping carts (though I'm sure there were smaller gifts that were not twinned) Two cameras

Probably up somewhere in junior high our interests started diverging more.