PDA

View Full Version : Xposting from carseats to get some responses :) Carseat bag

WolfpackMom
09-29-2010, 07:41 PM
I wasnt getting any responses in Carseats so Im posting in the lounge, hope thats ok! :)

For about 50,000 reasons I am dreading the trip DH and I are taking next weekend. Without getting into the 49,999 other reasons...

MIL works for the airline so she booked our seats, promising to book 3 so DS has a seat. Well suprise, suprise she booked 2 and didnt tell us, (yes I know a lot of people do it but I have a hard enough time flying on my own and this is another thing I dont need now). So I tried to add on a seat to our 4 flights once she sent us the ticket confirmation and I saw just two seats...and they are sold out.

We are bringing the carseat since we need it at out destination and hoping they have an extra seat and it will work out, but if not we will need to gate check the seat and the stroller.

Please reccomend gatecheck bags for both. I did do a search on here but didnt have too much luck. I saw on Amazon one bag that someone said fit both carseat and stroller, JJ Childress? But Im not sure if that would work with a big Britax.

TIA!

mom2binsd
09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't bother with a bag, honestly in all the flights I've done I've never had a problem with my stroller. I think they might be more gentle with it if it's not in a bag, but who knows.

I don't think I'd want them both in the same bag either, that's a lot of stuff "clanging" around inside a bag, if I were to put them in a bag I'd want them separate.

I'd look for some type of clear bag for the carseat- is it an infant or convertible?

larig
09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=childress+carseat+bag&x=18&y=17

look at the 2 childress ones. there is one that has wheels that might be better if you are gate checking--I don't think it's as padded as the one that just has backpack straps (that's the one we have). Our britax fits fine in the padded backpack one, and it has really travelled well.

WolfpackMom
09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't bother with a bag, honestly in all the flights I've done I've never had a problem with my stroller. I think they might be more gentle with it if it's not in a bag, but who knows.

I don't think I'd want them both in the same bag either, that's a lot of stuff "clanging" around inside a bag, if I were to put them in a bag I'd want them separate.

I'd look for some type of clear bag for the carseat- is it an infant or convertible?

Its a Britax RA 50 (convertible). Yeah Im not sure how they would both fit in one bag, that was just from reading reviews. The cost of buying two bags is the same as the flight would have cost us to get DS a seat (familydiscount from working at airline). Boooo.

Larig- I will look closer at those two bags, thanks.

Kindra178
09-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Have you heard of the GoGo Kidz? It's a set of wheels that turns your carseat (even Britax) into an airport stroller. Then you check your stroller and use of those huge ziploc bags to protect it while you gatecheck it, or simply gatecheck with nothing.

I have also worn my carseat on my back, with straps loosened, traveling alone, with a baby. Works fine as well. Or . . . you could check your carseat when you check your luggage. They usually have big plastic bags to protect it. I have done that several times too.

SpaceGal
09-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I would gate check it. Last time I put my carseat in a clear plastic bag it still got lost...I got it back eventually but I had to get a loaner to get to my ILs house.

mom2binsd
09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I would have a bag for the carseat ready in case you do have to gate check it (hope my response was clear, I was suggesting separate bags for gate checking, I'd never put it through as luggage.)

I don't think I'd put a RA and a stroller in a bag together for gate checking, that would super awkward for the guys to carry down the stairs.

WatchingThemGrow
09-29-2010, 09:47 PM
For a trip this week, I'd likely run to BRU and grab the red Gate Check bags. I love our Ultimate padded bags, but I'm not sure if you can get them in store anywhere.

WolfpackMom
09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
For a trip this week, I'd likely run to BRU and grab the red Gate Check bags. I love our Ultimate padded bags, but I'm not sure if you can get them in store anywhere.

Its next weekend and I have Amazon prime right now so I have a little time. I do plan to gatecheck, what a pain gate checking that and the stroller. I just dont want to worry about everything getting messed up under the plane with the way they throw that stuff!

bubbaray
09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Gate check it in a clear garbage bag, so that they SEE what it is. Some airlines will give you the bag, but I would bring your own just in case.

Otherwise, the red JL Childress ones are great.

HannaAddict
09-30-2010, 02:34 AM
I posted about using a padded JL Childress car seat bag to transport our stroller, but we used the car seat on the plane (after hauling it to the plane with the stroller). The bag will hold quite a bit, but I wouldn't try a Roundabout and stroller in it. It would work great with a Roundabout, though I would gate check it in the bag to avoid damage and better chance it will be there when you board. If you can take it on the plane, great, it is a great seat to travel with. Loved the padded car seat bag, though we have gate checked a Frontier before with nothing and were fine. HTH.

Momit
09-30-2010, 09:14 AM
We have the red "Gate Check" bag for our stroller and a black Especially for Baby (from BRU) bag for the carseat. The red one is pretty thin and we've had to duct tape it in several places where it has torn. The car seat bag has held up better, but I guess we haven't used it quite as often.