PDA

View Full Version : If you could only take your DC to WDW once, what ages would they be?

HIU8
09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
DD is 3 and DS is 5.5. We will most likely only be able to go to WDW once with the kids (in the last 7 years we have taken 1 family vaca--not counting when my mom buys us tix to come and visit her). So would you go with a 5 and 7.5 yr old, 6 and 85. yr old, 7 and 9.5 yr old? We need to plan and save in order to do this (and need to start now or we will not be able to afford to go). I know people plan trips all the time, and a friend just dropped nearly 5K on their trip with 2 very very young children. We can't. We don't have the means (we have debt we need to take care of first). Anyway, what ages are the best to take kids?

pastrygirl
09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
This is the question I've had, too. I want to go NOW, but I think it would make sense to wait a bit, as my youngest is only 1. We'll probably only get to go once. Right now, I'm hoping for 2012 (ages 3 and 6) but that might still be too young.

resipsaloquitur
09-30-2010, 10:35 PM
I use to work at Disney and while I saw lots of young kids who loved it, I saw many more 3-5 year olds who were miserable. I also saw a few teenagers who were not thrilled to be hanging out with their families. Sp I try to say in the middle of those two ages. My vote would be 7 and 9.5. They'll be old enough to remember. It is always good bragging rights for elementary school to be able to talk about your trip to WDW. And that gives you more time to get your financial house in order.

WolfpackMom
09-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I went to Disneyland at 6.5 and barely remember it. I would go when they are a bit older so that they can appreciate the gift and hold on to lots of memories!

lhafer
10-01-2010, 12:42 AM
I use to work at Disney and while I saw lots of young kids who loved it, I saw many more 3-5 year olds who were miserable. I also saw a few teenagers who were not thrilled to be hanging out with their families. Sp I try to say in the middle of those two ages. My vote would be 7 and 9.5. They'll be old enough to remember. It is always good bragging rights for elementary school to be able to talk about your trip to WDW. And that gives you more time to get your financial house in order.

:yeahthat:

If it's possible it will be your only time to go, I would vote for these ages. 1. they will remember it. 2. Gives you more time to save up for an awesome vacation. 3. They will be big enough to ride everything.

That said, I am going with a 4.5 year old and a 9 month old in a couple of months for our first trip. And then we plan to go again when the baby is roughly 4-5 years old and the older one will be around 8-9 years old.

There's alot that can influence the cost of a disney vacation. Not sure when your friends are going, but for comparison we are going for 10 days right after Thanksgiving, staying in a Moderate resort, got the free Dining Plan, and including an extra night at in another moderate resort for $200 for the Friday after Thanksgiving, $800 in airfare for 3 roundtrip tickets, and ~$130 in trip insurance we are spending approx. $3,200 total. Could have spent less staying in a value resort, or by staying for a shorter amount of time, or various other things. A lot really depends on what you want out of the vacation. Could have spent way more staying in a deluxe resort. Could have possibly spent quite a bit less staying off property.

bnme
10-01-2010, 06:14 AM
The youngest 6. The last time we went my oldest was 6 and he was a breeze. He could handle staying up late (even though it is off his routine), stroller wasn't needed, no meltdowns, etc. He was young enough to still love all the characters (from Mickey to Power Rangers to Toy Story) and old enough to get some of the educational aspects of Epcot. And you may want to consider the height reqs. Maybe add a year for a more sensetive, less flexible kid. My 5yo just missed the cut off on a few rides that his big brother could go on.

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2010, 07:24 AM
6-10, probably closer to 8-10 so they remember it. :)
eta- we went when ds1 was 5 and he only has vague memories of it, hardly any. Now that he is 8 he is starting to remember more about our trips. Oh, and we went to just part of WDW when he was almost 7. Forgot about that! He remembers that some.

Beth

Octobermommy
10-01-2010, 10:43 AM
My 5 yr old loved it, we still talk about it weekly. I would vote 5 & 7.5.

partyof52011
10-01-2010, 11:33 AM
We are fortunate enough to live in GA so we can drive. I personally love taking my kiddos for their first trip when they are 3. Everything is soooo magical for them! I'm not planning to quiz them on the trip so I don't really care if they remember every detail or not. It's my vacation too and I just love watching them at that age.

If you can only go once and really want them to be able to do most everything and remember and still enjoy some magic I would probably take them at 6 and 8 or 7 and 9. Just make sure you go before the oldest turns 10. 10 year olds pay adult prices!

That said, Disney doesn't have to break the bank. We rent a townhouse from Storytime for less then a value room on-site. We have 3 bedrooms, 3 bathroom, a full kitchen, our own splash pool and access to the complex pool which is wonderful. It takes us less time to drive to the parks then it does to ride the Disney bus. With the kitchen we can eat some meals "at home" and save a ton that way. We get our tickets through Undercover Tourist. Our last trip we took 3 adults and 2 children for a full week and TOTAL spent less then $3000. I've stayed on-site at various resorts and have gone with free dining and without and this last trip was by far the most enjoyable and most economical we have ever taken. DH will no longer even consider going to Disney any other way.

citymama
10-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I first went when I was 9 and loved it. I would say 6 and 8.5. But they will love it at any age!

fivi2
10-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Honestly, I think all of you can have fun at whatever the age. I don't know that you can plan it around what they will remember. You will have different experiences with each age range - yes, a 10 year old will be able to ride Space Mountain, but that same 10 year old probably won't believe the characters are real or see the appeal of It's a Small World (for example). But I can understand wanting to wait until they are a little older and can remember more and ride more of the rides.

I would just start a vacation savings account (if you can) add to it when you can and then plan it when the time is right for your family. It can be exciting at any age (imo) you will just have a different focus depending on their ages.

Rainbows&Roses
10-02-2010, 01:07 AM
We took our DD at 5. She was old enough to have the stamina for our long, event packed days and young enough to still question whether Tinkerbell was really flying overhead before the fireworks and be totally enamored when meeting her favorite princess Ariel in her grotto.

I am glad we didn't wait because the Disney Magic would not be quite the same for my DD at 7 now as she is a bit too smart for her own good sometimes!

Tinkerbell313
10-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Please do not go by what others spend...its all in how YOU do the trip.

We just came back from a 7 night trip staying at AKL, which is a deluxe resort. September is Value season...so rooms are less expensive...October is more expensive as it is not value season. We had a savannah view room which is more expensive than a standard or a pool view room. We paid for the regular dining plan as we did the 40% room discount instead of free dining (the % off discount saves more money for us at the deluxe resort than the free DDP). We did regular tickets and did not add the park hopper option (no need at this time of year). We did not rent a car as it was an added expense and the most it took between waiting for a bus and getting to the theme park was 30 minutes. The kids are only allowed to buy one toy each...that is all. But they didn't even ask...we hd to remind them on the last day that they could get a toy.

For the four of us (2A2C) including airfare from DC...it cost us $2800. Now, if we choose a value resort, we could have saved probably a $1000. But, we took my parents who prefered the AKL...my father had to stay in the room lots due to health issues and he loved watching the animals. If we chose not do the dining plan, our expenses would have been different as well.

Anyway...its all how YOU do it and when YOU go and the choices you make.

Regarding ages...we first went last year when DS turned three while at Disney. This was our second visit...and probably the last in awhile (we want our children to see other parts of the USA as well as other countries). Anyway, DS still remembers the majority of his trip from last year.

I would wait until both children are able to go on all the rides together...I believe the minimum height at some of the rides is 48 inches. There are rides with a lower minimum height...but so everyone can go on together...48 inches to be sure. DS was able to go on TT and Soarin' and BTR and SM this year as he is now 40 inhces. The only ride he could not go on was Mission Space. We only went to EP, MK, and AKL. We did not have time this year to do DHS.