PDA

View Full Version : Hand soap

ArizonaGirl
09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
What kind of hand soap do you use for you and your family members with very sensitive skin and or eczema. I just went to the dermatologist Tuesday and they confirmed my suspicions that it was eczema and gave me Eletone (Rx hand cream for ezcema) and a topical corticosteriod.

But I work in a hospital setting and she thinks that the soap at work is irritating my hands and wants me to bring in my own soap. I was using regular old Dial (orange) at home and she said that it is very harsh, and suggested a clear and colorless Dial, but all I could find had a fragrance and I'm very sensitive to smells.

So, if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful and appreciative.

These are a list of the ingredients I need to AVOID:

aloe vera
vitamin E
cocoa butter
fragrance

TIA

boltfam
09-30-2010, 10:59 PM
What kind of hand soap do you use for you and your family members with very sensitive skin and or eczema. I just went to the dermatologist Tuesday and they confirmed my suspicions that it was eczema and gave me Eletone (Rx hand cream for ezcema) and a topical corticosteriod.

But I work in a hospital setting and she thinks that the soap at work is irritating my hands and wants me to bring in my own soap. I was using regular old Dial (orange) at home and she said that it is very harsh, and suggested a clear and colorless Dial, but all I could find had a fragrance and I'm very sensitive to smells.

So, if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful and appreciative.

These are a list of the ingredients I need to AVOID:

aloe vera
vitamin E
cocoa butter
fragrance

TIA

My dermatologist told me to use Cetaphil cleanser (no scent). I was reacting to soap, too - the skin between my fingers was so raw. What I found was that environmentally friendly soaps don't irritate my skin. You can buy some Dr. Bronners castille soap and dilute it in a foaming soap dispenser. For dish soap, I use Costco's environmentally friendly soap. I tried to use up my Dawn and broke out in a rash again. GL!

gatorsmom
09-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Like Boltfam suggested, we use liquid Castille soap diluted with water (1 part soap:4 parts water) and used in a foaming soap dispenser. I have them at all the sinks in our house. I use Dr. Bronners that I get at Target. The light blue bottle is the unscented. At any Target I've gone to, it's right next to the Burt's Bees cosmetics.

ett
09-30-2010, 11:28 PM
We also use Dr. Bronner's castile soap diluted in a foaming pump bottle.

WatchingThemGrow
10-01-2010, 06:21 AM
My dermatologist told me to use Cetaphil cleanser (no scent). I was reacting to soap, too - the skin between my fingers was so raw. What I found was that environmentally friendly soaps don't irritate my skin. You can buy some Dr. Bronners castille soap and dilute it in a foaming soap dispenser. For dish soap, I use Costco's environmentally friendly soap. I tried to use up my Dawn and broke out in a rash again. GL!
This is exactly what I do - Cetaphil for me (not as hand soap though), but the Dr. Bronners from TJ's in a Pampered Chef Suds Pump. Actually - one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen, diluted.

Andi98989
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
My SIL is a nurse and was having a horrible reaction to the soap at the hospital. Her dermatologist told her to stay away from all liquid soaps; she carries a bar of Dove Sensitive around the hospital with her and has her own special box of gloves that she uses, too.

I find Dial unbelievably irritating. At home we use Cetahpil liquid in the shower and either Method foaming or a homemade foaming castile soap (what I'm putting in the Method dispensers when it's gone).

wimama
10-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Like Boltfam suggested, we use liquid Castille soap diluted with water (1 part soap:4 parts water) and used in a foaming soap dispenser. I have them at all the sinks in our house. I use Dr. Bronners that I get at Target. The light blue bottle is the unscented. At any Target I've gone to, it's right next to the Burt's Bees cosmetics.

:yeahthat:

We do the diluted Dr. Bonners in a foaming bottle at home. I made the switch form my son, but my skin has been better since switching.

I work in the medical field and those antibacterial soaps and alcohol based hand sanitizers are the worst on my skin. I break out in a rash from the eczema. For a while I was even worried that I might have latex allergy. But, it was really the soap and powdered gloves. I wear latex, low powder gloves now. The eczema seems to get worse in the cold winter months. I think the biggest problem is just the number of times a day I wash my hands.

When it gets bad, I use Neosalus on it.

http://www.empr.com/neosalus-cream-available-for-dermatitis/article/165878/

I have used the foam, but they have a new cream now. The foam sinks right into your skin and really does have better penetration than most hand creams. So, you don't wash it off five minutes after putting it on, because it sinks right in. But, it is pricey.