PDA

View Full Version : DD had her first appointment with an Allergist (long)

Dream
09-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I took her in tuesday, went through lot of things, questions etc. Her previous ped did an allergy test(blood test) when she turned one and confirmed she's allergic to Wheat, Egg whites, Peanuts, Dog dander and Cat dander. Level 2.

I have since switched her to a new ped and he reffered us to a ped allergist. He said he usually does the allergy test differently and he can't say anything from her previous pediatricians blood test. They wanted to do a skin test but since she had Zyrtec within the last 24hr they couldn't do the test, we're taking her back on monday. Her scratching seems to be more of a behavior issue than an allergy. As she sometimes scratches even if she's haven't had any contact with the allergens. And Zyrtec didn't really help either.

Currently I'm using Shikai Borage oil therapy and triple cream on her. Allergist wasn't familiar with these lotions, so next time I'm going to take the containers with me. I didn't remember the ingredients either. If the lotions doesn't contain any Cortisone or antibiotics, its ok to apply on the day of her skin test. But she's supposed to be away from any allergy meds and cortisone for 24 hrs prior to the test. I wish I had known this before and then would have been able to get the skin test the same day.

Anyway, is there anything else I should avoid? Also can someone please explain exactly what's going to happen? Which area of the body are they going to apply the allergens? They said they're basically looking for standard allergy responses such as hives etc. But usually there's nothing visible on her skin and her response is just scratching and if we try to stop she becomes very angry. But then again this is also her response when she's hungry, sleepy, dirty diaper, upset/angry etc. So I don't know how we're going to differentiate!!

Any advice or info would be highly appreciated so we can prepare.

ett
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
I thought you had to be off Benadryl for 3 days and Zyrtec for 7 days(or longer?) for the skin test. At least that's what DS2's ped allergist told us. DS2 had skin testing done on his back. The part of the skin where they do the skin test has to be relatively rash free, otherwise they won't be able to read the results. They prick the skin with the allergens and a control to make sure the test is working properly. You wait 10-15 minutes to see which part of the skin developed hives/rashes and then they measure the area to determine how positive it is.

Dream
10-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Thank you for posting. I'm not going to give any allergy meds again till the test, hopefully that'll be sufficient. Her ped said 24hrs.

DD is 2 and there's no way she's going to lay down voluntarily. As it is she throws a fit at every doctors appt, she's hysterical the minute we enter the hospital or the docs office. And only calms down when we leave. What can I do to make this easier on her and myself?

MamaMolly
10-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Thank you for posting. I'm not going to give any allergy meds again till the test, hopefully that'll be sufficient. Her ped said 24hrs.

DD is 2 and there's no way she's going to lay down voluntarily. As it is she throws a fit at every doctors appt, she's hysterical the minute we enter the hospital or the docs office. And only calms down when we leave. What can I do to make this easier on her and myself?

Drink heavily? Only kidding!

I got some great advice when I was preparing to get Lula's blood draw for some tests. IIWY I'd go get a toy doctor kit (we got the fisher price one at BRU for under $20.) and do a lot of role playing and pretend play. I liked the FP set because it had a syringe, some of the kits don't.

I told Lula that we were going to pretend that we were getting our allergy tests. I went first as the doctor, and did the whole thing. When we did the blood draw I told her it was going to hurt, but only for a quick second and then it would be done (matter of factly, and completely downplaying this part), and then made a big deal about the band-aid and kisses part. Then we switched roles, then we took turns on all her bears and dollies.

She doesn't LOVE going to the doctor, and now is really starting to protest, but I think that pretend play can take a lot of the anxiety out of the situation. It normalizes it, gives them a feeling of control about it.

So that's my advice. Role play and don't lie about the part where it will itch or hurt, but don't make it a big deal about it either. And if that doesn't work then drink heavily! :)

left210
10-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Get yourself prepared for what is to come. It will be hard on you as the Mom because you will have to hold her down so they can do it. I have been through it was my oldest 4 times (he is 9) and my youngest (2 yrs old) has had it done twice with the first time when he was 1. Just know that it is much easier when they are younger because they are easier to hold and they will not remember it when they are young. DS9 still remembers his last test when he was 6 but doesnt remember any of the other times. If your doctor does it like ours they will mark her back with a marker and then prick her in the back quickly with all of the allergens they are testing. Our first time was like 50 pricks but they do go quickly. Then you wait 20 minutes to see if there is a reaction. Take some toys, books, stickers, etc with you for the wait time and anything that comforts her.

Hang in there and try not to be too anxious as they do pick up on that. It has been easier with my 2nd child going through it than with my first. Good luck. It is worth it because in the end you will know what is triggering her allergy symptoms. For our youngest it was crucial b/c his allergies cause him to go into an asthma attack so if we can treat and/or avoid those it helps tremendously with his asthma.

pakin
10-01-2010, 08:57 AM
You've already got good advice here. It's going to be hard to keep your DD from scratching. Distraction is key. For DD's annual check-up with her allergist, I tried to make it special by bringing a portable DVD player and some small new toys. I let her pick out movies she wanted to watch. Sometimes I let her have a lollipop too. (See where I'm going here?)

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

egoldber
10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
At our allergist, they do the skin pricks on the arm. I guess it may depend on how many they have to do.

I would call and confirm how long you have to be off meds though, because our allergist said 10 days for Zyrtec/Claritin and 3 days for Benadryl.

We never had to hold my older DD down. Our allergist has a whole set up with movies and a TV and lollipops. But bringing other toys is a good idea too. And I always promised her ice cream and a visit to the toy store afterwards. :o

connor_mommy
10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
My DS was 5 when had to do it. The allergist had him sit in my lap facing me with legs going down the side. I wasn't allowed to touch his back after she cleaned it and had to keeps himself from scratching for 15 mins afterwards. The 15 mins seemed like a real long time. It didn't take that long for them to administer the 50 or so pricks. The nurse draws a grid on the back and does 2 pricks at a time. Your DD is younger and you may have a harder time getting her to coooperate. Bring some special treats like a lollipop. Good luck.

Dream
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Thank you for all the great advice. I'm already dreading it. Its breaks my heart to have to hold her down while her ped examine her on regular visits while she's screaming for me holding out her hands. I don't know how I'm going to handle her with that many pricks??? I never thought its 50 or so, I thought they're only going to test for the one we already know that she's allergic to. Which would be about 5 allergens.

I think I'm going to ask DH to accompany us.

HIU8
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
DD has had it done 2x. Both times were about 20 on her back. I had to hold her down both times, but they also had a video playing and toys in the room. FWIW, she also got a treat afterwards.

alien_host
10-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I would ask the allergist or nurse in the office how they perform the test, where (arm/back) etc. that is how you would be best prepared.

Our allergist does it on the forearm (both arms if needed). Their thought is that it is better for the child to see it coming than for it to be a surprise.

DD was over 3 when she had it done the first time. They marked her arm with dots with a pen. Dropped liquid with the allergen on the dot and pricked it with something that looked a bit like a pushpin. The pricks are quick. I do think some doctors use a device that has a bunch of pricks together...which IMO could be scary.

She sat in my lap with her arms on the table and I held her arms down. At 5 she sat in the chair by herself. Then you wait 15-20 minutes for the reactions to appear and then they measure it.

For DD she was nut/egg but the first time they tested peanut, cashew, pistachio (all nuts you can imagine - 10 or more?), sesame, egg yolk, egg white. They also have "control" pricks (like a placebo) so they do add up. The second time she had it done at 4 they skipped some of the environmental b/c she was freaking out.

Do a role play at home. You could use a toothpick to gently poke the arm/back so she knows what the general feeling would be.

Bring toys, books and I also bring a prize for DD as a reward (I leave it in the car).

Good luck.

Dream
10-06-2010, 12:56 PM
With everything going on with my pregnancy I completely forgot to update.

When we parked in front of the facility DD already knew and started crying. We went in, nurse measured her height and she was crying hard by this time and ended throwing up on DH and herself. We cleaned up and they moved us to another room. They did the test on her back, in addition to Wheat, Egg whites, peasnuts they tested her for dust mites and roaches. Everything came back positive except for Wheat:cheerleader1: Now that I'm thinking about it I'm so happy for her but at the time it was over shadowed by my amnio news.

Her allergist said its negative eventhough it came up as a class 2 allergy one year ago on her blood test. When I asked whether they should do a blood test as well, he said its not necessary as the skin test is much more accurate than the blood test. The flip side, from measurements they said her egg and peanut allergy seem to be sevear than Class 2. Oh well.. you can't have everything. It was hard to find things without egg and wheat, most foods had atleast one of the ingrediants. So this is going to open up lot of food types for her. We don't have any roaches in the house, haven't seen one for years. They adviced us to get a mattress cover to avoide dust mites and washing sheets in hot water as often.

This weekend I'm going to give her a slice of bread and see how it goes. Hopefully she'll outgrow the rest with time.

Clarity
10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
My dd2 was just one when she had scratch tests, but it wasn't bad at all. They did them on her back and the nurse was so quick that dd didn't even notice. I held her on my lap facing me, distracted her with something and we were done seconds later. I'd bet that she would not be as acquiesant at age 2 though, but I would still prefer it done on her back at that age too.