PDA

View Full Version : If you have a male dog that lifts his leg to go....

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-01-2010, 07:23 AM
How old was he when you had him snipped. Debating how early in age I want to proceed. Thanks!

Carrots
10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
I have a male dog who we adopted from a shelter when he was approximately 1 year. Right before we brought him home we had him neutered.
He is housetrained, but still lifts his leg to pee on trees and fire hydrants when we are out for a walk. In the yard he squats. :)

wendibird22
10-01-2010, 09:13 AM
still lifts his leg to pee on trees and fire hydrants when we are out for a walk. In the yard he squats. :)

This is our dog too. He was snipped at 6mos old (IIRC). He actually was never a leg lifter until this past year or so (he's 4.5). Now walking him is a total PITA because he wants to lift his leg and mark everything. He never lifts a leg in our yard.

Penny's Pappa
10-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Somewhere around 6 months. I remember him squatting very briefly shortly after surgery, but he's an exclusive leg-lifter now.

MaiseyDog
10-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a male dog who we adopted from a shelter when he was approximately 1 year. Right before we brought him home we had him neutered.
He is housetrained, but still lifts his leg to pee on trees and fire hydrants when we are out for a walk. In the yard he squats. :)

:yeahthat: Althought our dog wasn't quite that old. He was about 8 months when we got him. We had him neutered the week after we got him. He will lift his leg if we are on a walk, but in the yard he squats. The lifting, I think, has more to do with marking territory. In our fenced in backyard that only he and our female dog go, there isn't any need to mark territory. I could see how his behavior could differ if we had an unfenced yard where other animals were coming into the area.

turtledove
10-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Somewhere around 6 months. I remember him squatting very briefly shortly after surgery, but he's an exclusive leg-lifter now.

:yeahthat:

bluestarfish18
10-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Male dogs will lift their legs to pee even if they are neutered at an early age. Most vets will start to neuter around 6 months. That way they can remove any residual milk teeth in the process, which should have naturally fallen out before the 6 month mark.

twowhat?
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd rather have them lift. When mine decides to squat instead (which he only does if he has to go so bad he can't wait to get to a tree), he gets pee all over his front legs.

And yeah, I don't think it matters when you neuter, though I always vote sooner rather than later. Some dogs are leg lifters and some just aren't. We've even had a female dog who lifted her leg.