PDA

View Full Version : ERGO questions-opinions wanted!! Any ERGO discounts?

JBsmom
10-02-2010, 06:51 AM
I have been using my Bjorn- I like it, but now at 8 months and around 17lbs, she is getting a bit heavy. Do you think I would be able to use the ERGO enough at this point to get my money's worth? Also, are they comfortable enough for carrying a baby around for extended periods of time (thinking about going on vacation, and would like to carry baby and avoid lugging a stroller with us). Also, does anyone have one of the "performance" carriers. I am looking for something neutral, and like the look of these. If anyone else loves another brand- please let me know that too.

Finally- how do you get a discount on one of these coveted items? I am regretting not picking one up at the fairly recent babysteals sale (Had just started to think about getting a back carrier, and hadn't really researched them yet).

lhafer
10-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I didn't buy my Ergo until my DD1 was 2.5 years old!! I bought it because we were going on a cruise, and I wasn't about to take a stroller. I carried her 80% of that trip - with no issues what so ever. It was great! This is coming from someone who broke their back when I was a child and has chronic back issues since.

I have the original, so can't comment on the performance ones. You can definitely get one now and get tons of use out of it. You could easily still have 2-3 years left of wear with an Ergo. I started using mine again for my 7 month old. Plan on bringing it to Disney later this year. It's easy to adjust so DH and I can both wear it - but mainly I wear it.

I see them on craigslist occasionally. Also The Babywearer has a swap or sell section, but I think you have to post a certain number of posts before having access to this feature. http://www.thebabywearer.com/

ETA: It's not letting upload some pics. As soon as it will let me I will show you some pics from our vacation.

DebbieJ
10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I have the black one with embroidery (purchased from BabySteals). My DS is 1 yo and 22 lbs. We get plenty of use out of it. I mostly still carry him in the front carry b/c I haven't mastered getting him on my back by myself yet. Once I do, I will be carrying him that way most of the time.

larig
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
DS is 2.25 and 33-35 pounds. I still carry him in it all the time. It is one of my 2 best baby gear purchases.

resipsaloquitur
10-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Love my Ergo. Use it all the time. Mine is a plain beige and very neutral. I have three Bjorn that I was given that just sit in my closet.

lhafer
10-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Let's see if this works. I think my pics by themselves were too large to upload.

http://picasaweb.google.com/llhafer/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCOzZ7vDTmd7iTQ&pli=1&gsessionid=7dSAfZYPBQuLobrfd8DtQg#5523490733099456 722

JBsmom
10-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone! And thanks lhafer for the pics. I think I am sold-I have been trying to not get tons of baby gear that we won't get much use from, but if this can be used for awhile still, I think it will be worth it. I am kicking myself for? not snagging one during the babysteals sale!! Any ideas how to get one on sale The Babies R' Us flyer has a coupon for 15% off carrier and slings- but of course it doesn't work. A bit annoying since nowhere on the fine print it lists ERGOs as exclusions. grrr...

lizzywednesday
10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
If you are still interested in the Ergo Performance, please note that the fabric is kind of a shiny polyester wick-away and lighter weight than the classic (the classic is a heavier weight cotton, more like what a nice pair of khakis would be made from than denim) and the strap padding is a little more sleek, so it won't create a lot of bulk under your arms if you're short-waisted or more petite.

The other thing you should know about the Ergo Performance is that the buckle is different from the regular and Sport models, so it's not compatible with the waist-extender belt. This might not be an issue for you (it is for me) but it's worth mentioning.

Also, because the Ergo can be used in both front and back carries, and is rated up to 30 or 40 lbs, you'll get plenty of use out of it!!!!

BTW, the ErgoBaby company controls its pricing. It's very rare that you'll see a new one for less than the $100+ MSRP.

JBsmom
10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks lizzywednesday! I am still torn about which one to get. choices, choices! I wish I knew of someplace I could look at them before deciding, but I have just seen them online. I was scouring the internet for one discounted at all, or a coupon code that would work. I guess it is what it is- I just hate to buy something and then find out after a way I could have gotten a better deal on it!

crl
10-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Craigslist? I see them used on ours a fair a bit.

Catherine

lizzywednesday
10-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks lizzywednesday! I am still torn about which one to get. choices, choices! I wish I knew of someplace I could look at them before deciding, but I have just seen them online. I was scouring the internet for one discounted at all, or a coupon code that would work. I guess it is what it is- I just hate to buy something and then find out after a way I could have gotten a better deal on it!

Is there a baby-wearing group in your area or someone who has a home-based business selling them? Babywearers might be your best bet to play with the regular one ... and I am sure there's someone who's got a Performance model by now! (They come in gray and green. I've seen the green in person and it's a very pretty, saturated, spring/leaf green, which looks great in the shiny fabric.)

lhafer
10-05-2010, 09:32 AM
It may not be discounted, but I got my Ergo from this site because they have a 90 day money back guarantee. Paying full price was worth that to me. Especially because if you plan to use it for another few years, you will definitely get your money's worth out of it.

http://www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com/

chicagojo
10-15-2010, 10:42 PM
they seem to have them on babysteals every few months - I've gotten 2 from there so far (on different occasions) for under $90 each. unfortunately one time was pretty recent so it may be a while before they have them again