PDA

View Full Version : question about canceling land line

zoestargrove
10-02-2010, 07:41 AM
I know a lot of people are canceling their land lines and only using their cell phones.
Do you teach your child both numbers for their home phone or choose one?

resipsaloquitur
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
This isn't exactly in answer to your question but...

I did cancel the land line years ago. After a household accident, where my son couldn't find my cell phone because of course I take it with me from room to room, I am now getting a new land line this week.

Something to think about.

To answer your question- DC never learned the old land line, nor will they learn the new one. It will only be for outgoing emergency calls.

hellokitty
10-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I taught my kids MY cell phone #, b/c DH isn't always available via phone d/t work.

nathethegreatsmom
10-02-2010, 02:24 PM
We checked into this last year. I called the local police station and they said if there was an emergency and the cell phone was used instead of the land line, the police could not find were the emergency was just by looking at the phone number. I am too afraid to get rid of the land line in case of an emergency when babysitter is here or heaven forbid if something happened to me or my dh while home with the kids alone. My 4 1/2 yo knows to call 911 if there is an emergency. You might want to check with your local police if this is a concern to you.

MSWR0319
10-02-2010, 04:06 PM
We checked into this last year. I called the local police station and they said if there was an emergency and the cell phone was used instead of the land line, the police could not find were the emergency was just by looking at the phone number. I am too afraid to get rid of the land line in case of an emergency when babysitter is here or heaven forbid if something happened to me or my dh while home with the kids alone. My 4 1/2 yo knows to call 911 if there is an emergency. You might want to check with your local police if this is a concern to you.

:yeahthat:
Exactly why we got a landline after DS was born. I want one when there is a babysitter and if something happened and DS needed to call 911 they could find us.

wellyes
10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I got rid of my landline and replaced it with VOIP to retain 911 capability. My VOIP is ooma & I'm very happy with it.

Either way, I think I'd always have my kids use my cell as the "home" number they use.

If you use Google voice, that would make a great emergency number -- see http://www.parenthacks.com/2010/09/google-voice-emergency-contact.html -- I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

geochick
10-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Recently in our area there was a large fire (hundreds and hundreds of people evacuated). People were using their cell phones like crazy. The cell companies couldn't keep up. They asked all of us in a multi-city area to keep off the cell phones as much as possible - for a few days. We were glad to have our land line.

Just another point of view.

alexsmommy
10-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Another "not what you asked but"... I considered this but then several things happened. 1. DS2 accidently called 911 from my cell. Discovered based on our location the call goes to the next town. I think at 3 there is a chance DS2 could call 911 if needed, but he does not know our address yet. Even though I've been working on it, we are a ways from him understanding a question about it and reporting it correctly. 2. Watched one of those scary shows where a person had a stroke and was able to call 911 but couldn't speak to give addy. 3. I've been known to misplace my cell under the best of circumstances and spend 3-5 minutes hunting it down. I don't even want to think how inefficient my hunt would be in an emergency. 4. During a storm the electricty was out for three days (no charging the cell phones, no VOIP if we had had it) 5. Neither DH or I want to leave our cell at home with a sitter (usually one of my parents and though they have a cell phone they keep in in their car for emergencies and aren't great at using it).
So instead, I reduced our home phone down to local, basic, no extra's etc. We almost NEVER use it, but I like having it, and I like knowing the kids know exactly where it is if need be. To keep DSD from forgetting to replace it, I plan on changing the kitchen one to a corded phone (we have an old one in case the electricity goes out, but I'm going to actually keep it plugged into the line).
Just some things to consider when you have young kids.

zoestargrove
10-02-2010, 07:31 PM
THANK YOU everyone.

We had been thinking of this for a long time - 2 years ago our neighbor did it, last year my sister did it and they were so happy, _BUT_ still something about it (mostly those what-if scenarios you brought up) kept me from doing it. Then, after having lots of trouble with our phone provider and the line working inconsistently, I got fed up with paying $50 a month for that. I was impetuous and cancelled the service 2 weeks ago. It's been bugging me ever since. All of your responses helped validate that little voice in my gut. thank you.

I just signed up for a VOIP service with Vonage. It's $10.00 a month (well, $14.00 with all the added taxes and fees). It's worth it to me for the peace of mind.

vonfirmath
10-02-2010, 10:35 PM
I just signed up for a VOIP service with Vonage. It's $10.00 a month (well, $14.00 with all the added taxes and fees). It's worth it to me for the peace of mind.

This is why we have land line services. Peace of mine. My husband is not good at carrying his cell phone all the time. Leaving it in the car, not having it charged, etc. So this way I can still get a hold of him when he's at home.

I'll be teaching our son my cell phone as the "home" number - - I'm more accessible.

infomama
10-02-2010, 10:47 PM
We pay 16/month for a land line. We have 30 calls a month (outgoing) but we never use them. I will not ever cancel my land line as we have it solely for 911. Food for thought here.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/voip911.html

Kungjo
10-03-2010, 01:03 AM
We have a land lane just for emergencies and our security system. Our DDs know my cell number as the emergency #/home # because I have that with me all the time. It's the easiest way to get in touch with me.

For those who don't use landlines anymore, do you have a security system? Does that even operate over VOIP service? Thanks!

wellyes
10-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Good deal!

We pay 16/month for a land line. We have 30 calls a month (outgoing) but we never use them. I will not ever cancel my land line as we have it solely for 911. Food for thought here.

I might have done that if I could have a home phone that cheap. Bare minimum land line here is $29/month before fees. So really $40. Basically $450-$500 / year to have marginally better 911. My VOIP provider was clear about the criticality of registering your address and checking into your local area's e911 capability.

maylips
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I might have done that if I could have a home phone that cheap. Bare minimum land line here is $29/month before fees. So really $40. Basically $450-$500 / year to have marginally better 911. My VOIP provider was clear about the criticality of registering your address and checking into your local area's e911 capability.

We have the same problem here. We got rid of long distance on our land line and still pay $40/month for NOTHING. It's frustrating so we're thinking of getting rid of our land line when we move in another month. I'll have to really think through the 9-1-1 problem first, plus for some reason, I just don't love having my cell be my "main" phone. I guess I'm old fashioned that way, but $40/month to be old fashioned isn't very smart.

hellokitty
10-03-2010, 01:31 PM
We have a land lane just for emergencies and our security system. Our DDs know my cell number as the emergency #/home # because I have that with me all the time. It's the easiest way to get in touch with me.

For those who don't use landlines anymore, do you have a security system? Does that even operate over VOIP service? Thanks!

We have ADT, and it's pure cell phone. Our landline always sucked, it always had a LOT of static and interference and the stupid phone company could never fix it, despite coming out several times, so axing our landline was a very easy decision.

Smillow
10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I *think" that even a disconnected land line jack will connect to 911 when dialed...

My parents live in SFla & when then were without electirc for a week after hurricane Wilma the land line worked & the cell phones didn't...