PDA

View Full Version : Runny noses

DietCokeLover
10-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Would you give an almost 4 yo an antihistamine for a runny nose that is driving her crazy?

hillview
10-02-2010, 02:49 PM
No
/hillary

Tondi G
10-02-2010, 02:54 PM
At bedtime I would. Benedryl makes them really tired so I would wait till bedtime and hope it will help dry it up over night.

I give my 5 yr old the Hylands Homeopathic Sniffles and Sneezes during the day and they do seem to help. they have curious george on the package

catsnkid
10-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I would ask the ped.

Dr C
10-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Not if it was a runny nose from a cold.
If I thought it was from allergies (typically a clear runny nose without fever, but with itchy nose, sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, usually going on for more than a week or so--most colds are going to have less sneezing, less itching, and only last 7-10 days) I would consider trying claritin or zyrtec.

MamaMolly
10-02-2010, 08:57 PM
As per my ped (and of course, check with yours) but I give 1/2 of a triaminic night time thin strip. They come in single use strip packs, and I just fold the strip, tear it in 1/2 and save the other one in the wrapper. I find Benedryl can be so drying that Lula will end up with a stuffy nose which is just as bad as the drip. (same mucous, just thick IYKWIM). Ask your ped and see what they say.