PDA

View Full Version : S/O clothes that look good with boots

DrSally
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
So, now that I have my new boots, wondering what to wear them with.
Here are the boots--warm, comfortable and stylish (IMO,moreso than sorels that is), and $70. I saw them on a mom at the mall and asked where she got them. She had them tucked into jeans. When I tried to tuck them into my jeans there was a lot of bunching (jeans too loose?)

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bare+traps+ellery+boot?prodId=207935&productRef=SEARCH
I got them in brown b/c I like brown and my winter coat is orange. Gray might have been more practical b/c I have a lot of black/gray clothing, but I'm discovering that to wear tall boots, I may have to have special skinny leg pants? So, hit me with your best suggestions for making me look stylish. I've never had tall boots before.

How would this dress look with tights and the boots:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=61278&vid=1&pid=772402&scid=772402032ETA: Wait a minute, that dress may be too short, although, I'm short, so a reg length might be ok.

infomama
10-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Leggings/sweater dresses. Athleta has a ton of cute pants/leggings/dresses that look great with tall boots. Just got the new catalog......check it out.

DrSally
10-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Leggings/sweater dresses. Athleta has a ton of cute pants/leggings/dresses that look great with tall boots. Just got the new catalog......check it out.

Leggings and sweater dresses? 2 things I usually never wear. I don't know if I have the figure for either!

infomama
10-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Be bold! Didn't you say you just lost weight?! I don't usually wear them either but tall boots look great with them. Worth a look see.

DrSally
10-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Be bold! .

Hehehe. Yes, I could actually use more of that in my life. Trying to go outside of my jeans/t-shirt comfort zone!

sunshine873
10-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Yes, the bunching is because you're trying to put regular jeans/pants in there, and to tuck into pants, you really need a skinny jean/pant. Sounds like you need to do a little more shopping! :)

I do think that dress would look cute with those new boots too (love them, by the way.) If it does end up being too short like others said, try it with a pair of leggings underneath.

Melaine
10-03-2010, 07:29 AM
When you have tall, kind of bulky boots like that, I think a shorter dress looks better. It sort of balances it out, you know? You should look for some cute leggings that fit really well (there was a thread on them recently) and get the dress you linked. I love denim leggings, and I've worn so many dresses with them that I didn't think I would ever wear.

mommylamb
10-03-2010, 07:50 AM
I think they would look good with tights and a jean skirt like this one from boden.
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Skirts/Above-Knee-Skirts/WG371/Womens-Favourite-Mini.html?NavGroupID=13

brittone2
10-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Don't laugh at me, but I found this cute little dress at Costco. Kersh brand or something like that? 19.99 LOL. It is labeled as a "tunic" dress at my local costco. Bought it and figured it might make me look preggo or something, but it was so cute on when I got home. I really like it with boots. The sleeves are kinda bell with elastic which I'm not 100% wild about but I kinda just push them up. I just went back and got a 2nd one in a different color to wear w/ a different pair of boots.

Not sure if it would be your style or if you have a Costco, but I thought they were cute for 19.99 ;) I specifically was drawn to it because it has kind of a crossover (suplice?) neckline and I can even nurse in it. So for 19.99 it was worth a try for me. I have gray and then purple (I tell DH I look like Grimace in the purple but let's not talk about that ;) ) Eta: it will be cute w/ tights or leggings as the weather gets cooler. So far I just wore it w/ boots and bare legs.

Twoboos
10-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Definitely skirts/dresses! I have a burgundy cord skirt I got from target last year that I love with the boots and a black sweater.

I also just got a couple of tunic length shirts and sweaters, and a pair of leggings and a pair of ankle length tapered jeans. (mostly from ON of all places, for some reason I am doing a lot of shopping there lately! I got a dress and the jeans there for like $6!)

Anyway, I got this sweater http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=59783&vid=1&pid=772147&scid=772147002 and plan to wear it with the leggings or jeans.

Melaine
10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Don't laugh at me, but I found this cute little dress at Costco. Kersh brand or something like that? 19.99 LOL. It is labeled as a "tunic" dress at my local costco. Bought it and figured it might make me look preggo or something, but it was so cute on when I got home. I really like it with boots. The sleeves are kinda bell with elastic which I'm not 100% wild about but I kinda just push them up. I just went back and got a 2nd one in a different color to wear w/ a different pair of boots.

Not sure if it would be your style or if you have a Costco, but I thought they were cute for 19.99 ;) I specifically was drawn to it because it has kind of a crossover (suplice?) neckline and I can even nurse in it. So for 19.99 it was worth a try for me. I have gray and then purple (I tell DH I look like Grimace in the purple but let's not talk about that ;) ) Eta: it will be cute w/ tights or leggings as the weather gets cooler. So far I just wore it w/ boots and bare legs.

That sounds really cute to me!

DrSally
10-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes, the bunching is because you're trying to put regular jeans/pants in there, and to tuck into pants, you really need a skinny jean/pant. Sounds like you need to do a little more shopping! :)

I do think that dress would look cute with those new boots too (love them, by the way.) If it does end up being too short like others said, try it with a pair of leggings underneath.

Darn! Never imagined I'd have to buy special "boot pants". I went to ON today and tried on some Sweetheart skinny leg jeans. I was horrified by how tight they were sans boots to cover the tight legs. I could see how they'd look better w/boots though. In any case, the Sweetheat fit was not good for me--too low and a huge gaping waist. I'm going to look at Kohls tomorrow w/my Koh's cash. My guess is that I'll be looking in the Junior's dept. So, what do I do when I take my boots off at someone's house, I feel so weird in such tight jeans.

DrSally
10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I think they would look good with tights and a jean skirt like this one from boden.
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Skirts/Above-Knee-Skirts/WG371/Womens-Favourite-Mini.html?NavGroupID=13

Cute! Like the slight A-line.

DrSally
10-03-2010, 09:39 PM

That sounds cute. I normally wouldn't do bell sleeves either, but sometimes you just don't know what's going to look good until you try it on. I've got it on my list to look for next time I'm at Costco.

DrSally
10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was at the mall again today for a quick return and actually paid attention to the manequins. A lot of short dresses and leggings. I'm off to find the legging thread.

ett
10-03-2010, 11:37 PM

I got that dress in gray from Costco! It is cute and I even got a compliment on it when I wore it the first time. My Costco still has them and I think about getting another color every time I'm there.

brittone2
10-04-2010, 09:59 AM
I got that dress in gray from Costco! It is cute and I even got a compliment on it when I wore it the first time. My Costco still has them and I think about getting another color every time I'm there.
:D I really like it, and for the price it works great for running errands w/ the kids, etc.
I found the coolest, cutest belt (kinda anthro looking) in Marshalls the other day to wear w/ my purple one...looked great w/ my boots. However the Marshall's belt was too big and they didn't have my size. I think the little Costco tunics look kinda cool belted if you haven't tried that yet. And they are easy to accessorize in general :)

Too funny that you have one too! I kinda thought I would hate it when I bought it, and planned on returning it. But once I tried it on, I really liked it!

ett
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Too funny that you have one too! I kinda thought I would hate it when I bought it, and planned on returning it. But once I tried it on, I really liked it!

I don't usually buy clothes without trying them on, so I was also pleasantly surprised that I liked it. :)

DrSally
10-04-2010, 04:55 PM
:D I really like it, and for the price it works great for running errands w/ the kids, etc.
I found the coolest, cutest belt (kinda anthro looking) in Marshalls the other day to wear w/ my purple one...looked great w/ my boots. However the Marshall's belt was too big and they didn't have my size. I think the little Costco tunics look kinda cool belted if you haven't tried that yet. And they are easy to accessorize in general :)

What did the belt look like, please describe. I'm horrible (boring) with belts, but have seen them with dresses a lot lately.

I was at TJ Max today and found a pair of CK jeans, cropped, slim leg on clearance for $18. They look ridiculous on the rack b/c they're so short and tapered, but, they're perfect for me and boots, b/c then there will be no bunching. The "top" fit fairly well and wasn't ridiculously low. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the med blue color (would prefer dark), and the distressing (whiskering and faded knees). But, they fit and for that price, these will be my boot jeans.

Also, I saw "sweater leggings" at TJMax, made of sweater material. Is this something people are wearing with their shorter dresses? Would they make a person's legs look bigger? (I don't have the slimmest legs).

brittone2
10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
I can't find something *just* like it, but something along this type of shape/style:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=18696153&parentid=BAYNOTE

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=043493&parentid=BAYNOTE

I can't remember exactly, but remember thinking it was kinda anthro-ish (and affordable)

I haven't tried it but I have a friend who swears by these for holding down jeans to keep them in place (turns them into stirrup pants LOL) in boots if you get a lot of bunching. Might be worth a try if you can find them somewhere and shipping isn't cost prohibitive. I used to wear them when I rode horses but no longer own any ;)

http://www.doversaddlery.com/pant-clips/p/X1-3711/cn/1903/

DrSally
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the links! I'm so bad about belts. I think those could look really cute with a dress. Those stirup things look like the straps you use to keep your fitted sheet on your mattress :)

brittone2
10-04-2010, 08:42 PM
yeah, the belts are fun. I haven't really done them before but need to incorporate more of them. There are a lot of cute ones out there now.

DrSally
10-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I wonder how this sweater dress would look with tights and boots. It's a more modest length. Not sure about the puffy sleeves
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~684289/AB+Studio+Babydoll+Sweaterdress.jsp

or this
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~700047/axcess+Babydoll+Shirtdress.jsp

Twoboos
10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I wonder how this sweater dress would look with tights and boots. It's a more modest length. Not sure about the puffy sleeves
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~684289/AB+Studio+Babydoll+Sweaterdress.jsp

[/url]

This dress it totally cute!!! I think it would look great with tights/boots! (Ahem, and I may have to hit a Kohl's to see if I can find it. :))

Wasn't crazy about the 2nd one.

arivecchi
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I wear tall boots with dresses or skirts with tights, long sweaters over leggings or jeans tucked into the boots or rolled up mid-calf over the boot.

I have Hue leggings and they are oh so comfy. I sized up.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3031707?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=bottoms:women:stirrup%2Flegging&cm_ite=hue_stretch_cotton_leggings:262347&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=674BE668-1968-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

groundhog74
10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I bought the gray ones from Target. I have to try them with a few things to see what I think. Of course, I just realized that my skinny jeans are way too big on me. Yay! But of course DH won't want me buying more. lol

DrSally
10-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Of course, I just realized that my skinny jeans are way too big on me. Yay!

:bighand: Cool!

DrSally
10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I wear tall boots with dresses or skirts with tights, long sweaters over leggings or jeans tucked into the boots or rolled up mid-calf over the boot.

I have Hue leggings and they are oh so comfy. I sized up.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3031707?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=bottoms:women:stirrup%2Flegging&cm_ite=hue_stretch_cotton_leggings:262347&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=674BE668-1968-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

OK, so what do you mean rolled up over the calf? So, hitting mid calf, but NOT on top of the boot? So, you mean I can wear my bootcut jeans with tall boots?

DrSally
10-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Another question: How are leggings different from opaque tights (besides not having feet)? Are they even thicker?

I saw the Kohl's dress today, and it was not as cute IRL. The knit was not as tight as it looks in the picture, so it looks a little "cheap" b/c it's acrylic, IIRC.

LarsMal
10-05-2010, 04:43 PM
jeans tucked into the boots or rolled up mid-calf over the boot.

OK, so what do you mean rolled up over the calf? So, hitting mid calf, but NOT on top of the boot? So, you mean I can wear my bootcut jeans with tall boots?

This is what I was asking about in my other thread on boots/jeans. I've seen people do it both ways, rolled mid calf or rolled to the top of the boot. I think it depends on the boot. A bulkier boot (like the Bare Trap ones) I think you could do either.

arivecchi
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I wear my tall Uggs with rolled up jeans. I roll the jeans up so that only half of the boot shows. It's definitely a casual look and you can use your bootcut jeans that way.

arivecchi
10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Another question: How are leggings different from opaque tights (besides not having feet)? Are they even thicker?Yes. My leggings are thicker and more comfortable!

DrSally
10-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Alright, I think I need to get some tights. Arivecchi, if I wore a tan/khaki cord skirt and my brown furry boots, what color tights would I wear? Brown to match the boots?

salsah
10-05-2010, 11:53 PM
i don't think that i've ever seen the rolled up jeans w/ boots look. will someone post pics please!